Color Saturation Problem

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
Stoker
Engineer

Re: Color Saturation Problem Unread post

Good find , ROR. My old boat anchor POS Compaq computer could barely handle RT3 and I used to go with minimum graphics settings and still see fps drop down to single digits with busy maps. A few years ago I got into PC building , and worked my way up to a pretty good system. Now if I turn on the display framerate option I sometimes see it topping 1,000 fps. !*th_up*!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
RulerofRails
CEO

1,000fps is really crazy! A decent sized game I tend to run about 50fps. Go figure. I have run RT3 far slower, but there are still a few large maps that I don't have the patience to try.
Stoker
Engineer

Just took a screenshot:

This is a fairly small map, and the fps was actually bouncing up over 2,000 fps! The texture looks a bit blotchy because I reduced the quality of the screenshot in a paint program when I saved it to make it a small file. The in game settings are all maxed. :salute:

Edmund Burke
RulerofRails
CEO

Very impressive. :salute:

Just wanted to clarify I meant 50fps while playing (the game running on normal) near the end of a bigger than average game at the Below Average setting. No comparison to your results, but the game is playing smoothly and it's good enough for me.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:Fixed it. ::!**!

I discovered that it is actually the "Disable Hardware T&L" option that is causing this.
That's the "Vista fix" patch for engine.cfg. Are you saying RT3 on W7 runs fine without it?
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote:That's the "Vista fix" patch for engine.cfg. Are you saying RT3 on W7 runs fine without it?
Yes, I have 32-bit Win 7 and I never needed the "Vista fix." As I discovered here, the game (1.06 at least) works better without the "Disable Hardware T&L" option checked. I don't know why that is as it seems many people need it. I would be speculating as to why mine works without it.
Stoker
Engineer

Disable Hardware Transformation & Lighting transfers some of the graphics rendering load to the CPU. Don't select this option unless you are running an ancient (~10 year old) PC. To put this into perspective, each of the dual 6790 GPU's I am running (in Crossfire) have more computing capability and RAM than my '03 vintage Compaq POS had for the entire system.

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Just tried it on my box. I need to have it disabled (ie: "Vista fix" working). If I uncheck that option, the game wont run. This is on W7 64 bit with nVidia gfx card.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, so this is odd. Given that there's no hardware reason for me to need this "fix" (got quad core earthy goodness and all that) there must be some simple and really stupid reason why so many people need this patch to get RT3 to run. My bet is it will be another daft old game engine check somewhere that is returning an invalid value, much like the infamous low-res gfx bug used to be (before someone made a patch for that).

IOW, this T&L business is probably patchable too, if anyone can be bothered to figure it out.
Stoker
Engineer

I bet it has something to do with Nvidia drivers and not Vista or later Win versions specifically. I have been running RT3 on Win7 for years now and never had to bother with the Vista fix and whatnot. No problems at all. Crossfiring two AMD GPU's even works fine. *However, I have never tried to install RT3 on a Win7 machine. I have transferred old installs from my old XP rigs doing a straight up copy/paste of the entire install.

Edit to add: Do you have a separate GPU card? Or is your GPU integrated into your CPU?

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah I'm betting it has something to do with nVidia drivers too, and could probably be jiggered with a bogus dll patch to fool the game, same as the low-res bug. It's not something I'm interested in learning how to code at the moment, but someone might want to have a go at it sometime.
Blackhawk
CEO

If I remember correctly, I needed the vista fix for my computer with vista on it when I first installed it, but since then my "dedicated" gfx card fried itself (thanks sony and nvidia... Nvidia did a recall on that but Sony figured my machine it would be so rare to happen it didn't need a recall. With switchable gfx cards sony figured most people would use the integrated and never realize the good chip failed. Irony... the "cheap" computers with only 1 card they recalled, the people that paid for premium computers got screwed over and told it won't be a problem for you since you have 2 cards. I was tempted to file a small claims case against them but figured it wasn't worth my effort, probably should have done it anyway just to prove a point.) Anyway, I'm currently left with just intel's integrated gfx and currently I just tried checking and unchecking the disable T&L hardware button and the game loads up either way.

So if you run the game on just an intel gfx chip and AMD maybe you don't need the vista fix. Interesting, when I loaded the game on win8 I got full detail and water reflections etc without needing any low res fix.

Oh and avoid Sony products. Overpriced and full of bloatware!
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

I never needed the Vista Fix even when I had a Vista.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Blackhawk wrote:Oh and avoid Sony products. Overpriced and full of bloatware!
Yep! Even their cd/dvd drives are a thing to avoid.
Hawk