Year 1900 crash

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
sidekikd34
Watchman

Re: Year 1900 crash Unread post

OK I got the new skin to work if using the Warehouse 3DP. In the BTY I changed the 3DP call to Warehouse and didn't install the Machine Shop 3DP files, and it's all good now. Weird. I can repackage the update without those conflicting files, if you like, or Blackhawk can do it if he prefers.
RulerofRails
CEO

Seeing you have modified it to avoid this crash, why not? Or you could wait to see if Blackhawk would like to investigate further. Up to you. I find it really weird that the presence of some 3dp files in a PK4 file for an asset that isn't even on the map (no Machine Shops in the campaign) would cause a crash. Amazing!
Blackhawk
CEO

Feel free to upload what you have. I'll take a look at it.
sidekikd34
Watchman

Here's the repackaged Warehouse Replacements.

*edit: Maybe didn't like parentheses. Try this one.
Attachments
WarehouseReplacementsEdit.zip
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
Last edited by sidekikd34 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk
CEO

Can you try putting that in a new zip or rar file? I tried on 2 computers and it won't open correctly on either. The zip file may be corrupt.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Try this one.

Edit 1: Unneeded file deleted.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

Well that seems to have made it stop crashing at that time. Although now the image is a warehouse instead of the machine shop for the mini-image when you build a building. I'm not sure what is calling up the machineshop 3dp files then if they have now been replaced with "warehouse" in the bty.

Thanks for the upload Hawk.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I guess you finally got the first one opened OK.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

He actually edited the post and put up a fixed file that was over 3mb after I commented it wasn't working. The first one was only 2.4 mb. But thanks for the effort. !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! I guess that's what he meant by this.
sidekikd34 wrote: *edit: Maybe didn't like parentheses. Try this one.
:mrgreen:
Hawk
sidekikd34
Watchman

I'm guessing, just from looking at PJay and Milo's notes, it's probably some ID# or hex string that conflicts with something coded into the original game. Obviously there never was a Machine Shop before, so it can't really be the building itself, but something in the code. Perhaps the building used for the BTY or 3DP codebase has something in it that is the problem, and maybe a different building would be better? I mean, with Warehouses handled weird in the editor, there's clearly something wrong in their code from original, so maybe we would be better off reskinning another building for the Machine Shop. I'd suggest using the Weapons Factory as a base, for some variety in building shape, and it's the same size footprint as the current Warehouse base. If y'all are open to this, I can try to give the Weapons Factory roughly the same coloring as the current Machine Shop, and do some play-testing to check for errors.

I remember reading somewhere in the development of Trainmaster that there was something strange about the Bakery (and Paper Mill?), that had to be worked around because there was significant limitations on editing those particular buildings. Nedfumpkin ended up making a new Bakery from something else so he could change it into a production building instead of just consumption.
RulerofRails
CEO

sidekikd34 wrote:If y'all are open to this, I can try to give the Weapons Factory roughly the same coloring as the current Machine Shop, and do some play-testing to check for errors.
Sounds ok to me. Do you know (I don't) how to remove the cannons from the yard outside? I checked and TM's Explosives Plant still has the cannons.
Blackhawk
CEO

If you alpha them out, they'll still appear at night. It'll be like the TM landfill where you can still see the guard towers at night.

As for TM having issues with the bakery. I'm not sure why/what issues he had. It could be that the bakery was coded into the game one way so he had to rename it as something different. There are issues that occur with the customs house as well.

If the file works as it is then I'm not sure it needs additional changes. I may look and see if I made sure to have all the files from the warehouse included and renamed for the machine shop. Feel free to make whatever changes/improvements you'd like.
Gumboots
CEO

They shouldn't appear at night, or at least not if the alpha channel is binary (as it should be). If things are alpha'd out all that is usually left are some of the vertices and edges in faint black, which is sometimes visible in a well lit environment but shouldn't be visible at night.

Anyway, just on a whim I took a quick look at the weapons factory body .3dp file. It has 697 vertices but only 360 faces, which is surprisingly simple. I could probably track down the cannons fairly easily if you really want to use this model and need a better solution.
sidekikd34
Watchman

If you alpha them out, they'll still appear at night. It'll be like the TM landfill where you can still see the guard towers at night.

Isn't it just the lights from the guard towers that appears, not the towers themselves? I would think the unlit cannons should be able to disappear easier than anything with lighting. Definitely not my specialty though.
If the file works as it is then I'm not sure it needs additional changes. I may look and see if I made sure to have all the files from the warehouse included and renamed for the machine shop. Feel free to make whatever changes/improvements you'd like.

I kind of assumed it was something in the Warehouse code, forgot the possibility of a missing file, so I went ahead with working on coloring the Weapons Factory. I'm out of town and can't finish for a couple days, but I also am having a little hang-up with the 2D file. I can't seem to get a DDS coded right to appear for the preview window. Running the 3D skin through TrainSkin gives the right results, but I've tried a bunch of different approaches and can't get a handle on the 2D shot. The skin I made is based on a really old machine shop in New Jersey. See here: http://www.mappler.net/site5/wp-content ... p_side.jpg
I don't have my in-game screenshot handy, but it looks very much the same. I made the cannons black so they don't stand out, but I wasn't sure about getting rid of them entirely.
Last edited by sidekikd34 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

sidekikd34 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:If you alpha them out, they'll still appear at night. It'll be like the TM landfill where you can still see the guard towers at night.
Isn't it just the lights from the guard towers that appears, not the towers themselves? I would think the unlit cannons should be able to disappear easier than anything with lighting. Definitely not my specialty though.
Lights are easy to change. They're one of the easiest files to deal with.
sidekikd34
Watchman

Here's my skin file, whoever wants to can feel free to make the cannons go away. Any thoughts on the 2D files?
Attachments
MachineShopSkin.zip
(569.8 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Blackhawk
CEO

sidekikd34 wrote: Isn't it just the lights from the guard towers that appears, not the towers themselves? I would think the unlit cannons should be able to disappear easier than anything with lighting. Definitely not my specialty though.
I think the towers still have their outlines appearing in TM on the landfill, in addition to the lights. It's like the furnace in 1.06, there is still the outline of the tower from the paper mill.
sidekikd34
Watchman

Here's my Machine Shop files. I finally got the 2D previews coded properly so it all works. If you do get the cannons eliminated, could you post the relevant files? I'm keeping each building modified in its own PK4 so I can more easily enable or disable them for testing. I've just zipped the collection here, so you don't have to unpack it. They do work in-game without packing.
Attachments
MachineShopFiles.zip
(658.75 KiB) Downloaded 277 times