1.06 FAQ

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
milo
Engineer

1.06 FAQ Unread post

This thread is a placeholder for questions about the unofficial 1.06 patch.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

<placeholder>
milo
Engineer

Unread post

<placeholder>
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Q: Even after I uninstall the 1.06 patch, there's a lot of cruft left in Data\CargoTypes. Why?
A: If you installed 1.06 Beta 6, there was a small bug in the installer script that failed to remove new cargos correctly. Easiest way to clean this up is to uninstall 1.06, delete "Data\CargoTypes\~44*", and reinstall 1.06.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Q: How does 1.06 interact with JayEff's modified rt3.lng?

A: Make sure you have the original rt3.lng in place before you install 1.06. It should be safe to switch to JayEff's file after the patch is installed. 1.06 adds several entries for buildings and cargos, but none of these are used by his scenarios yet.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Q: Why do I get a crash-to-desktop whenever I try to view production chains for a type-3 building (hospitals, retail, commercial, etc)?

A: There was a mistake in the first build of the 1.06 patch, which went out with a bad test binary instead of the correct one. If your rt3_1.06.zip file is 25,376,024 bytes, you have the bad version and should download a replacement.
UncleJR
Hobo

Unread post

I have downloaded it and noticed a coupe of things right away.

The first was the capability to "ship at a loss" which is a major plus for some scenarios where cargo totals are medal requirements.

Also, I noticed a new building "the customs house" and sort of have an idea for what it's for.

I noticed a reference to new cargo types. What exactly are they? Or is there a "readme" file that I didn't bother to read? :oops:

Anyway, great job on the patch. It's a great additioin. Love the new locos that I have found. I can really see all the hard work put into this.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Q: When will the patch come out for Macs?

A: Whenever someone gives Milo a new Mac and a half-year off to work on it.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Q: Does the patch work on Vista?

A: Nope. I'm not sure why; my suspicion's that Vista checks if RT3.EXE has been modified before running it. Not likely to be fixed soon if ever.
kinyodas
Hobo

Re: 1.06 FAQ Unread post

Milo,

I'm new here sor forgive my ignorance. Did you code the 1.06 patch? ALso, the installation says the source code is included but I didn't see where it was copied.

I would like to contribute to further development, it possible.

Thanks,

Byron
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey
Hawk
The Big Dawg

milo seems to be MIA lately. Hope he pops in to reply to ya'. :salute:
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Milo is the coder, indeed. And sadly he is busy with real life challenges. Mat be he pops in someday.

I am no coder and I am not 100% sure where Milo stored the source code. It ought to be in RRT3 folder. Look for a folder which has lower key folder name. Either milo or his install program used lower keys instead of a capital letter at beginning the name.

At the moment 1.07 isn't in consideration, but there other project floating around, if you are interested in giving a hand. Depending what you are interested in doing.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

kinyodas wrote:the installation says the source code is included but I didn't see where it was copied.
I think what he's referring to is the files found in the 'Railroad Tycoon 3\Patches\src' folder after the 1.06 is installed. They're .asm files (and 1 .c file) and I could open them with Notepad.
Hawk
coruscate
Dispatcher

So modded buildings like WP&P, myself and Ned are putting together won't work in 1.06 I am told?
nedfumpkin
CEO

What I'm working on now won't work on any version of RRT3.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Let me be more clear, the buildings as we've built them to use the cargo system currently standard on RT3 will be okay?

It's these buildings with the custom loads that will not (without the mod, obviously) (It's a megamod!)
nedfumpkin
CEO

That is correct. Your vineyard as a no demand/ produce alcohol concept will work fine. or should.
Gumboots
CEO

Got a question about the use of variables in 1.06. The readme tells me that it can use an AND operator and an OR operator.

1/ Does anyone understand how these would actually be useful in practice? IOW, can anyone explain a likely use case?

Apparently there are also Store and Load operators. I gather the first directly modifies the .exe by writing to a specific location, which is something you definitely would not want to use without knowing what you are doing. Knowing what you are doing would require a map to the .exe.

2/ Does any such map of the .exe exist?

3/If it doesn't exist then, given that the readme also says further options weren't added because of lack of space, what was the point of including this operator, and having it take up space that could have been used for something else?

The Load operator is not going to be nearly as dangerous to use as the Store operator, but using it would still require a map of the .exe. So, the questions 2/ and 3/ also apply to the Load operator.
Blackhawk
CEO

For #1: I don't remember scenario that used the & or | operator. If there was one it would probably have been one of Ned's in Trainmaster.