Short-selling for cash

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
undertoad
Watchman

Short-selling for cash Unread post

Hello to all the tycoons here!

I'm back here after a couple of years - nice to see the forums still busy! And thanks to Hawk for very quickly answering my message to get my old username up and running again.

Thanks to a period of unemployment (though now I've found a job, not starting until the New Year) I have time to enjoy this wonderfully-addictive game again. The other night (probably around 2am!) I was watching one of my Baldwin 0-6-0s crossing the giant viaduct I'd built across the valley just south of Poughkeepsie on Go West, while a Consolidation-headed express zoomed down to NY underneath, along the double track by the Hudson River, and I worked out what it is that makes this game so addictive for me. (IMHO Go West is not complete without a viaduct across the Hudson Valley. The board of directors might object, but I just tell them it's Art, which is beyond price. {,0,} )

It's just like watching real trains. There's the fascination of the individual train - a weird, impressive huge thing that moves by itself. But there's also the context: where does that train come from? Where is it going? Why? What's it carrying? And RT3 brilliantly captures both these sources of fascination. Thanks to the ingenious economic model, you can sit back after winning Gold and not just enjoy watching a little train chug through the mountains: the system itself is unpredictable but self-organising. You catch one of your Any Freight trains hauling enormous quantities of Alcohol or Goods somewhere. Why? You look at the goods map, and it makes sense. You couldn't have predicted this, but it's happening by itself.

Anyway, on to the short-selling trick I've just found. I'm replaying Germantown on Normal. This scenario is all about dealing with rival AI companies - within the first few years I had 5 rivals. Most of them were (in usual AI fashion) complete non-starters. Should I short-sell?

Oilcan's RRT3 Handbook is my go-to reference. Oilcan generally recommends against short-selling (pp 126, 140), for good reasons (on Hard level, these reasons may be overwhelming - perhaps the AI "cheats" more on that level). But there's one important aspect of short-selling which I didn't get, which IMHO can make it a great idea. It's simply this: short-selling gives you immediate personal cash. Because I hadn't tried it out enough, I imagined that short-selling was only useful as stock-market manipulation trick, with the effect on your personal cash held in suspense until the position is settled (i.e. until you've later bought back the shares you selled short).

It turns out that this is not how it works. If you short-sell a stock, you get immediate cash for it. You do have to bear in mind that you'll need some of this cash to settle the position later: but if you call it right, this is essentially a free loan of money for you to use to boost your % holding of your own company (which is of course a good investment). Early days as a tycoon are all about not having enough personal cash (even if you follow the great advice I found somewhere here, and only sink 90% of your personal cash into your company at the start). I've often given into the temptation to over-buy on the margin, and been stung not by the dreaded margin call (I use a rule that my holdings in stock should never be less than 3x my cash debt), but by an ever-expanding personal debt, which is sustainable, but is very difficult to clear (interest constantly being added on) without giving up too much equity in your own company.

Short-selling can give you this important early cash boost without buying on margin. Here's how it works:

1. Identify rival company Mismanaged & Hopeless Railroad, whose stock is definitely going downhill and nowhere else.
2. Short-sell 5,000 shares of M&HR for let's say $30 each: immediate cash boost of $150k.
3. Use this to buy into your own company: say 2k shares at $70. (Buy in January or issue stock to bring the price down before you buy). >1K is a good quantity to buy if you can afford it, because it gives you more fine control, allowing you to sell back just part of your new holdings. You now have $10K cash.
4. A bit later, your company share price is up to $110K (perhaps you can buy back stock to boost the price, and/or wait until December). M&HR stock is down to $24. Sell 1K of your company (+$110K cash, bringing you to $120K), and use your $120K cash to buy back the 5K of M&HR stock you sold short.
5. Result: no movement in your personal cash position, but you have 1,000 more shares in your company. ::!**!

The tricky part is, of course, 1: working out which AI company to target. Some AI companies do reasonably well: most don't. There's a financial measure called Earnings Per Share (EPS) which is your best friend here. You can tick it on the stock market screen, and it'll appear as a red line on the graph. (Don't confuse this with Revenue Per Share, which is based on turnover rather than profit - not such a good indicator). A negative EPS is a good indicator that the company is a good short-sell victim - but that's only part of the story. With EPS shown on the graph, you can easily see not just the EPS value but the direction of movement.

If EPS starts rising from negative to less negative, the share price will go up a bit. The financial analysts in the RT3 code seem to be sensitive to this measure, even during the year. So if you see EPS flatlining, sell short or hold on to your short position. If it starts rising, watch the company closely: either the company really is turning the corner (be prepared to close your short position urgently), or perhaps one of the AI's two trains has just arrived with a load, temporarily boosting profits from abysmal to only awful. It's worth waiting until the end-of-year process at the end of December to be sure what's going on, if your cash is not in a vulnerable state: if the company's EPS is still negative, the "analysts" will generally adjust the share price downwards at this point, wiping out the optimistic blips that happened during the year.

Using this method, I've often ended up holding on to a short position for much longer than I expected. Shares I sold short at $30 don't stop at $23, but go down and down (ignoring the blips) to $15 or even $10. This is because some (most) AIs are truly dreadfully managed (and, of course, you shorting their stock doesn't exactly help them :twisted: ). Meanwhile, the cash I got for the short-sell is mine to play with.

So this is an additional, fourth reason to short-sell:

1. To make personal profit in the medium term, from short-selling high and buying low;
2. To starve a rival company of access to capital by wrecking its share price;
3. To keep a rival tycoon on his toes by decreasing his purchasing power, forcing him to buy shares in the shorted company rather than targeting your company - or even forcing him to personal bankruptcy (though I've never managed this);
4. To get "free", immediate personal cash for your own PROFIT. :-D

So, what can go wrong?

A. The company you short can recover
There's two problems for you here: first, if the share price ends up higher than the price you got for your short sell, you make a loss. Second, whatever happens, you may need immediate cash to settle your position, at whatever price: cash that you may not have. If you pick your victim well, and play at a slow enough speed, keeping an eye not just on the share price but on the EPS, the first problem should never occur: you'll see the way the price is going and do something about it long before it turns into a significant loss.

The second problem (cashflow) is harder. If you click on your own portrait in the Stock Market view, the list of companies on the left will helpfully show your exposure to the short-sold company, according to the current share value, as a negative stock holding $ value. This is how much cash you'd need to press the emergency button and close the position NOW. Make sure that you could raise this cash without causing too many problems: avoid getting into cash debt, keep your own company's stock price (and company cash, for an emergency stock buyback) high, and keep yourself in a position where you could sell the minimum amount (1,000 shares) in your own company to raise the cash without wrecking your PNW/% ownership goals.

B. The share price hits a minimum value
This is only a problem if you hold on to your short position for a long time, or short when the share price is already extremely low.
I'm imagining there must be a minimum share price, in comparison to CBV, for even the worst-run AI company. Say CBV per share is $40. Even with EPS (Earning per Share) highly negative, there must be a price (e.g. $10: share price/CBV per share = 0.25) at which the "market" decides that, however bad things are right now, it's worth snapping up shares in this company, even if only to wind it up and sell off its assets (I know that doesn't actually happen in RRT3). The share price won't drop below this price, because people buy them as a bargain. (The exception is if the company goes bankrupt: happy days for you holding a short position, because this can make an already low share price - e.g. share price/CBV per share = 0.3 - fall by another 50%).

I don't know what this level might be, but stock price slides do seem to slow down or stop at about 0.25 or 0.3 of CBV. Does anybody know?

C. The company becomes a target for a take-over/merger
This is a special case of B. Here it's not the investors at large buying in to an undervalued company: it's the tycoons. Specifically, in my current scenario, Jay Cooke, who seems to be a very aggressive stockmarket player. The logical result is the same as in B: the share price will stabilise or even rise, because people are buying the stock.

If your game is going well, your rival tycoons' Purchasing Power should be low - low enough to make it difficult for them to buy shares in your company at $60+. With their low purchasing power, failing AI companies priced at $10-$25/share will be the only thing they can invest in. In my current game this hasn't made that much of a difference: for a failing company, the "market" seems to pay more attention to the fundamentals (EPS) in setting the share price than to individuals buying in: a bad company's share price won't rise that much if at all in the medium term, even if Jay Cooke is targetting its shares.

So all that happened was that the price stabilised at about $10. I closed my short position, still making a profit, partly also because I didn't want Jay Cooke to get a majority holding in the company, so I had to start preparing to buy in myself. Perhaps if Jay Cooke's purchasing power had been greater, he'd have bought more shares, making the share price rise dramatically rather than just stabilising, and causing big problems for my short position.

Very interested in other tycoon's thoughts and experiences of this!
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Short-selling for cash Unread post

Must admit I've rarely played with short selling, and then only in a fairly minor way. Interesting points you have there, and worth considering. Germantown would be a good map to try these tricks on since it usually has at least two companies that are sure to drop like a stone. The initial boost to personal cash would be worth having. I may give it a whirl and see what I can do with this idea.

Personally I'm far less conservative with personal debt. I've commonly run personal debt of 50% or more of my stock holdings. In some circumstances I'll run it as high as 80 or 90% for short periods. Short version is that if your company is solid and expanding you can usually run high levels of personal debt without any worries. This is often the best way of getting a high percentage of your company's stock. Buying in hard and early costs less in the long run, both for yourself and for your company, than trying to catch up later.
OilCan
Engineer

Undertoad, I very much enjoyed reading your post. And welcome back to the forum. (*!!wel
Your comments about short selling were very interesting, especially the point about keeping a rival tycoon on his toes by reducing his purchasing power. I have, at times, tinkered with short selling, to experiment with it more than anything else. I have also tried and tried to back a rival tycoon over the bankruptcy cliff with short selling, but it never seems to work. I will certainly start paying more attention to the earnings per share trend line.

Again, thanks for a very descriptive, and fresh, outlook on short selling.
RulerofRails
CEO

That's the most detailed strategy for short-selling I have seen. Well done.

Just wondering, do you realize that Short-selling uses up Purchasing Power? The ratio of 50% of stock value is the same used when Buying on Margin, but the calculation for Short-selling is different. For this Purchasing Power calculation, Current Personal Net Worth is taken (that is Cash + Current value of stock), and then half the Current value of stock is added (the value of these shares is negative: Purchasing Power is reduced). If possible, Short-selling a lot of stock means that stock price will drop a fair bit and this can mean that the total drop in Purchasing Power is quite low, but it will always be a drop. Therefore, you can't immediately purchase more stock in your company by Short-selling. If some time passes you could save on interest and stock price can drop further not ruling it out as a winner strategy.

One of the differences with the difficulty levels is that AI are dis-advantaged on the easier levels. This makes them weaker and more likely to fail on the easy levels.

It's amazing how many strategies can come from just one action. One of my main problems with Short-selling in general is getting a good enough price for each share I sell. Subsequent shorts tend to drop the price too much. If I can Short-sell an AI that is bound to fail right from when it starts I might be able to get a couple of shorts in before the price becomes pretty stagnant.
Gumboots wrote:Short version is that if your company is solid and expanding you can usually run high levels of personal debt without any worries. This is often the best way of getting a high percentage of your company's stock. Buying in hard and early costs less in the long run, both for yourself and for your company, than trying to catch up later.
This is what I do. Hard and early for me means that all Purchasing Power should be used to gain a good ownership level in my company (don't have a hard and fast level, obviously what's necessary for the goals, and then some more for fun). I don't have a limit of personal debt versus stock value. When I buy in, I often buy right up to the maximum in the second half of the first 3-5 years. I aim to stop Buying on Margin a year or so before I get a slowdown in company growth opportunites. This way, when things settle down I have a decent margin of protection. I would direct attention to learning how to get better company growth and personal net worth will be simpler and easier.

The most frequent way I use Short-selling in a normal game is if I don't have enough Purchasing Power to buy another lot (1,000) of my shares in December. I will Short-sell some AI stock then just to capture the year-end drop. I buy back these shares immediately in January to purchase more of my stock which likely split, so it's just a small boost. The trick is that the first year of loss on the books gives the best end-of-year drop. Otherwise, it may not be worth the effort (depends on circumstances).

In the occasional game where AI chairmen have bought heavily on margin, I have used Short-selling to decrease stock price enough that the AI gets margin called after a month or so of game time has passed. Prices drop nastily when that happens, so I scoop up everything for a steal.

Another note, Bankruptcy halves debt. You might be surprised to learn that sometimes stock price rises after declaring bankruptcy. This happens if CBV is still above $0, or if halving debt will make CBV above $0. What's happening is CBV per share is getting a big boost. Once I have obtained my desired ownership level in my company, if there are some cheap $2, $3, or $4 shares that the AI chairmen haven't snatched up I will buy them on the expectation of making profit. Just for fun really.

I never thought to try to limit AI chairmen's Purchasing Power by Short-selling. I tend to look at the salaries they are receiving. Temporarily taking-over an AI company (remembering to wait till I have a (51%) controlling stake in one's own company), will fire that AI chairman so he wont receive a salary anymore.

Nice to hear about your strategies. Keep them coming. :salute:
undertoad
Watchman

OilCan wrote:I have also tried and tried to back a rival tycoon over the bankruptcy cliff with short selling, but it never seems to work. I will certainly start paying more attention to the earnings per share trend line.

Again, thanks for a very descriptive, and fresh, outlook on short selling.
Hi Oilcan

Thanks for the welcome back, and the appreciation!

You're right about trying to bankrupt rival tycoons. I just tried that on Jay Cooke, and he cheated his way out of it! I found that AI tycoons react to the threat of a margin call by buying or selling shares in the company which most of their purchasing-power comes from - just as I would. Buy to push the price up, or sell to improve my PP position. Beyond a certain point, though, they just cheat - which I can't do! **!!!**

As with many things in RRT3, I don't have hard mathematical evidence, but it definitely happens.
undertoad
Watchman

RulerofRails wrote:That's the most detailed strategy for short-selling I have seen. Well done.

Just wondering, do you realize that Short-selling uses up Purchasing Power?
Thanks! No, I didn't realise about the effect on PP until you pointed it out. I was just looking at the personal cash position, and trying to avoid coming even close to maxing out my PP. Short-selling for cash allows me to buy with cash, so I didn't look at the effect on PP.

Great ideas in your post, especially the year-end short. I'm going to try that out.
RulerofRails wrote: I would direct attention to learning how to get better company growth and personal net worth will be simpler and easier.
That's something I can always learn more about; though I'm finding that the industry start works really well - I don't tend to have many problems growing in the early stages of the game.

The problem is that when the company is growing (and I'm confident that it's growing), that tends to be a time when I have far too little personal cash to buy into it (enough). If I buy into it later when I have the cash, my money gets me a far smaller % holding. Delaying company growth until I've built up enough cash to buy in before growth makes the share price rocket seems like putting the cart before the horse.

So your points have brought me back round to the idea of using margin-buying more. Maybe my short-selling strategy will help, but to get a big % before the company rockets in value, I'll probably have to use margin-buying as well.