Custom Resolution?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Custom Resolution? Unread post

Tomix wrote:All this talk about big screens and I still have a old 4:3 monitor. ^**lylgh
So do I. 2-19" CRTs. I had 3 hooked up but one died.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I just figured out a bug with the uniws custom res patch. It works brilliantly, except if you open RT3's settings pop-up. As soon as you do that, the game will fall back to the highest default setting in uniws, which is 1440x900. To get it back the way you want it, you have to close RT3 and run uniws again to re-do the patch. You can't just reselect 640x480, which is the default setting that uniws hijacks, because if you reselect that it will give you an actual 640x480, which is definitely no good.

This is not much of a nuisance most of the time, just something to be aware of. I have found that if you use hot keys instead, it doesn't affect the uniws patch. Your custom res will stay the way you want it. It only gets borked if you open the RT3 settings pop-up.
Geofferic
Cat

Anyone have a current link to any of this? The ones referred to are all dead as far as I can see.

Trying to get a higher resolution.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What links are you finding dead? I've clicked on every link in this topic and they all work for me.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Apologies about my third link. I corrected it to actually go to the page I intended (was going to the forum menu). Towards the bottom of the page (that the link takes you to) is the offset to apply the patch manually to the Data/Configuration file: engine.cfg with a Hex Editor.

The other link goes to a thread where someone kindly posted a little program in the right configuration to do this without using a Hex Editor. The first link is actually still working but I had to ignore a browser warning about unwanted software before the download would start. The other two are for a Mega NZ account that has been shutdown.

Easier than all that: go back to curamrda's post. He attached the same little program that's identical to the one on the other site. Gumboots gave instructions.
Gumboots wrote:Select the "Find it for me" option to get the app to find your RT3 installation. If you try to find it yourself, it doesn't seem to work properly.
Finding it yourself is working for me when I show it the Configuration folder (...Railroad Tycoon 3/Data/Configuration). This is helpful when you have multiple RT3 installs because "Find it for me" takes more time. :-)

"Find it for me" starts searching your whole computer from scratch the first time you click it. After finding the first one, you can click again to find the 2nd, then again for the 3rd, etc.. If you have many installs that can take some time.
sleepy
Hobo

The good thing about using a hex editor and not some custom patcher is that I can safely open up the settings pop-up. Just don't change the resolution. I used 80 07 and 38 04 for 1920x1080. It's not that much of a step up from 1600x1024 but I'll take it.

Now if only I could appreciate the resolution by getting the low-res patch to work without crashing my game...

Edit: Attached my modified engine.cfg
Attachments
engine.zip
(254 Bytes) Downloaded 349 times
Last edited by sleepy on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

The program, "custom patcher" as you call it, is only semi-automating the change you made in the hex editor. Only things that will wreck it is to change the resolution (will display as 640x480 when it's working correctly) or switch into windowed mode. Since you are familiar with the hex editor, works perfectly to do it that way. :salute:

PS. It's off topic here, but there are 3 options to overcome the low res problem. If you didn't know about it, try this.
sleepy
Hobo

Yes, I spent the past hour on the forums looking for a solution and luckily I found one that works. Perhaps one day I'll be able to do more than change two numbers with a hex editor and learn to use a debugger properly. :-D
Gumboots
CEO

Was just thinking about this custom res thing. Patching the engine.cfg, either manually or via uniws, works but isn't stable. A better solution would be to find where 640x480 is set in the .exe, and then change that to whatever res you want. That should work, AFAICT, and should be stable, AFAIK.

OTOH it might cause the game to explode. Only one way to find out.