Game Changer

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Game Changer Unread post

Everyone know Iron will only go to a steel mill or a tool & die. It will never go to a house. Therefore, Iron will not hop on board any train that comes to the station. What if I did this with every cargo like I did in my 1.16? The houses only use mail, pass & waste (Start date 1940 for waste in 1.16 vs 1990 in the game) I could later on release a building pack with original 1.05/6 cargo. That way it changes the way the game plays. Now I would need to add more demand to department store, retail etc. The DS in 1.16 had a demand of two clothing and one furniture per year. If a shopping mall was not around the clothing would pile up on the DS and eventually the price would collapse.
(note- I do not play many games before 1890 so I not sure if this will work before then. Does anyone know when RR stop delvering to the 'city' and moved to just factories, mines & warehouse. -team tracks of course) T

the result is less, and more profitable trains, and industry is not always a sure play like it was before:

Here's Meat demand in 1.06-
Meat06.jpg
vs 1.16
Meat16.jpg
milk is sure play in 1.05/6
milk06.jpg
not so much in 1.16
milk16.jpg
They are a similar distance away from the demand source.

Never mind I'll stick to plan and do this later, this PC can be called back at any time.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Game Changer Unread post

I did some experimentation at one time to see if I could get more consumption and less re-hauling. I realized that it wasn't an easy thing to balance and went on to other endeavors. To be fair, I have no idea how your 1.16 plays. I don't remember seeing the mod for download. Did I miss it?

The default houses, a little scattered on the map (not right near the station) with faint demands work as far as I can tell, because they can handle a wide range of outputs with relatively little collapse in price, compared with the Barrack demand for Ammo/Weapons (concentrated in relatively few places) which can easily get overwhelmed. This enables players with very different styles to play the game as we know it successfully.

Also, houses form the back-bone of the "re-hauling" that is the basic premise of the game's freight engine. The demand strength for the houses, located some little distance (a cell or two away normally) puts a kind of "brakes" on prices constantly moving up and down. In one of my experiments I tried increasing the demand at houses trying to provoke consumption. However, this removed some of the "braking" effect that houses have been tuned for, and in consequence price was swinging faster = actually more re-hauling. Not what I intended.

This idea is rightly titled "game changer". My feeling is that the tricky part here is that having fewer concentrated places of demand will make the player focus on those and he can just play the daisy-chain of cratering demand at one then the next in a loop. I know this is a style with Weapons and Ammo already. I tend not to do it to get a haulage goal, but if it's just pure profit I'm leaving behind, why waste it?

I wish it was easy to get a bit more consumption. I hope it's possible, but I think a bit of care needs to be taken not to break the good parts of the game. Sorry if that sounds negative, but that's my !#2bits#! .
Gumboots
CEO

Cash on Wheels wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:13 pm Everyone know Iron will only go to a steel mill or a tool & die. It will never go to a house. Therefore, Iron will not hop on board any train that comes to the station.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Iron is like any other cargo, and will move towards any region of the map that has a higher price than its current location. Which means it will hop on board any train that is heading towards any station in any such region, regardless of what buildings are there.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

You can deliver clothing to any city on map. If there is only one steel mill on the map, the iron for the mpst part will head only in that direction. Iron will never be shipped to a house.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm I did some experimentation at one time to see if I could get more consumption and less re-hauling. I realized that it wasn't an easy thing to balance and went on to other endeavors. To be fair, I have no idea how your 1.16 plays. I don't remember seeing the mod for download. Did I miss it?

The default houses, a little scattered on the map (not right near the station) with faint demands work as far as I can tell, because they can handle a wide range of outputs with relatively little collapse in price, compared with the Barrack demand for Ammo/Weapons (concentrated in relatively few places) which can easily get overwhelmed. This enables players with very different styles to play the game as we know it successfully.

Also, houses form the back-bone of t.........
Never was advailble for download.

There would be demand for 2 or 3 ammo a year a t the barracks instead of just one.

Instead of one ammo for barracks it would be three or two...