How do you open PK4 files?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
tfinvold
Cat

How do you open PK4 files? Unread post

I haven't really dived into any heavy modding of the game so therefore I'm starting from scratch. What's the best way to get into the PK4 files? Specifically the train horns as seen in Data > Sound. I did manage to import the file in "raw" format into audacity and there's one file lumped together with a sped up version of all the train horns. Some of them are just plain sad like the SD90-MAC horn shouldn't sound like a turned down foghorn... Just watch a couple of rail fanning videos on youtube and you'll get the idea.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: How do you open PK4 files? Unread post

Easiest way is to use PJ's old gizmos. You just edit the batch file to have the name of the file you want to unpack, then double click on it. As long as all the files are in the same directory it should work.

If you get a Java error you may need to read this post: Getting the #^$% thing to work (for mugs that know nothing) :mrgreen:

Don't worry about the command line stuff, I found out later that just double clicking the batch file will do the trick. The fix for the Java bug (if you get that) is in that post though. !*th_up*!
Attachments
PK4_tools.zip
(156 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
tfinvold
Cat

I'm sort of confused as you weren't very clear. Are you saying you use the command line to create/pack files? Is there a link for a tutorial to start from scratch?
Gumboots
CEO

I'm saying you don't need to use the command line. The pack and unpack tools each contain a Windows batch file (.bat). Taking unpacking as the example, the file contains this code:

Code: Select all

java PK4unpack Berkshire.PK4
It says that because the last time I used it, I was unpacking a Berkshire locomotive. If you want it to unpack something else, change the name of the PK4 to whatever you want to unpack. Then save the change, and double click on the .bat file. It should do everything for you as long as the PK4 is in the same folder, along with the two .class files.