Any scenarios I might not have played to be recommended

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Sauerteig
Hobo

Any scenarios I might not have played to be recommended Unread post

I have not played in about ten years. Looked at the scenarious, especially in the North America section. Those that look intriguing are not as well thought out. Eg in the Conquering Sierras scenario, I dont think its really possible to have more loads than the Southern Pacific. Anyway, any scenarios to be recommended from 2010 or later?
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Any scenarios I might not have played to be recommended Unread post

Hi. Your best option is probably to look through the threads rather than the archives. Threads started after 2010 will usually be for scenarios created after that year, and you will be able to see feedback and strategy ideas for each scenario.

Out of scenarios I have tried myself, these are good (IMO). I'm not saying these are the only good ones, just the ones that jog my memory on a quick Sunday morning scan.

Version 1.05 Scenarios
California uber alles!
Central America
Durango & Silverton
Express D'Orient
Latvian Republic 1920
Louisville & Nashville
Malawi
NSW - North, south & west
1954 Royal Tour
See India By Rail
South Africa

Version 1.06 Scenarios
Balkan Express (BETA)
Canyon Lands
New Tasmanian Government Railways
RulerofRails
CEO

(*!!wel Welcome back, Sauerteig.

It would help to know which maps you enjoyed in the past. The game has a lot to offer. People can enjoy the game for different reasons. Some of the most memorable scenarios for me have been ones where I needed to advance my knowledge of the game in order to achieve the targets. And for sure it's true that some of the mechanics in the game are a bit "crude" when exposed specifically. So these maps are "not for everyone."

For well-rounded maps, Gumboots has listed some that he has worked on, has put a lot of time into how they play. I will also mention Oilcan. IMO, he had a knack for making a great economy, simple but good, with few repeating neighboring industries. Therefore the economic management at high-level felt easy on his maps. He must have made 20-30 maps at least. Definitely worth trying a couple of his to see if they fit your style.
Sauerteig
Hobo

I played Age of Steam I and III, liked those, did not like IV and quit given the 50 load requirement. Gould's mopac was a challenge but pulled it off. Tried one of the anders maps but after a while when it was clear i'd make the gold given enough time I stopped. I beat Conquerring the Sierras but the connection through Oroville, Quincy, et al did not show as connected even though it was. I do not see a Durango and Silverton map in the archives. Any help?
Gumboots
CEO

Durango and Silverton is a very simple game, but quite good fun for a quick play occasionally. It was the first map where someone figured out how to apply satellite shots for terrain painting.

Durango & Silverton 1.0 - a google-made map

The load requirement in AoS IV is quite easy as long as you use maintenance spurs for the relevant trains, to increase their average speed.

Average speed is only calculated between stations, so you put the towers and sheds on spurs from the stations, and unload before going to the spur track. You have to set the route as Station1 > Shed > Tower > Station1 > Station 2. This gives you an increased average speed because the train is not stopping for maintenance during the timed runs.