How to take screenshots on Windows 8?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: How to take screenshots on Windows 8? Unread post

OilCan wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:56 pm My firefox browser sees malware in the download file. Did your browser give the same warning? Should I ignore firefox?

malware.jpg
In this case it's ok. The .dll files the zip contains can be used for malware, but can also be legitimate files. Firefox is just being idiot-proof, since it doesn't recognise the custom files.
OilCan
Engineer

What have I done!? Those are not floating trees in the image below, they are invisible mountains with trees.
invisible.JPG
I copied the D3D8.dll file into my 1.05V folder. I ran the dgvoodooCPL application and left everything default except removed the watermark. Then, presto, mountains become invisible. In fact all ground color is gone.

What did I miss in the instructions for dgvoodoo?

(BTW, I read this sentence in the dgvoodoo ReadMe file: If you use dgVoodoo on Windows 10 then dynamic shader compiling is automatically available because D3DCompiler_47 is part of the operating system. It sounds like I don't need the dgvoodoo dll file??)
RulerofRails
CEO

That's looks strange. Do you have RT3's graphics option "Disable Hardware Transformation & Lighting checked? If so, uncheck that and restart the game. The whole point of this is to run the graphics with the hardware (your graphics card) instead of relying on your CPU to figure out what to do (or in other words this is a replacement for the "Vista Fix").

Also, the default setting (in the dgVoodoo config) is only 64MB of VRAM. You should definitely increase this to 1024MB. If you don't increase it your textures will probably eventually go blurry even if they manage to display properly. Has a good chance of fixing the ground texture if the first idea was irrelevant.

Only other thing I run with mine is the "Force vSync" option (in the dgVoodoo config). This is simply to smooth out play in the early game when the frame rate is 300-400+. For some reason the movement is a bit jumpy. With the switch enabled it's perfectly smooth. Depending on your card this may not be necessary.
aiven
Hobo

OilCan wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm What have I done!? Those are not floating trees in the image below, they are invisible mountains with trees.
invisible.JPG
I copied the D3D8.dll file into my 1.05V folder. I ran the dgvoodooCPL application and left everything default except removed the watermark. Then, presto, mountains become invisible. In fact all ground color is gone.

What did I miss in the instructions for dgvoodoo?

(BTW, I read this sentence in the dgvoodoo ReadMe file: If you use dgVoodoo on Windows 10 then dynamic shader compiling is automatically available because D3DCompiler_47 is part of the operating system. It sounds like I don't need the dgvoodoo dll file??)
You don't need to run the app, all I did was to copy 3 dll files into the RRT3 folder, presto, magic.