Game Crashes

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
bmheron
Hobo

Game Crashes Unread post

I seem to be having a real problem with crashes recently. Thanks to everyone who helped on my D'Orient Express issue (which was resolved). But I'm now writing b/c its happening on some brand new scenarios. I downloaded The Northeast Corridor and it crashed in the first year before I even did anything. Strange. Now I'm running British Miracle V3 and it keeps crashing at the same point.

Earlier I learned it could be something specific I've done within the scenario. But now I'm wondering if its a broader issue and if anyone has experienced anything similar?

I'm running 1.05 Coast to Coast.

Thanks!
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Game Crashes Unread post

I think British Miracle was one that was mentioned in the other thread that crashed for some people. I don't know about the other scenario you mentioned.

One thing you could always do is re-install the game to a fresh install to make sure everything is updated and working correctly.

Edit: if you want you can tell us what your computer specs are and if you are on XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, etc but I'm not sure that will tell us much in a way of getting this fixed other than a clean install of the game, if it is a corrupted file that is causing the issue.

Any additional locomotives/skins/extra content that you have installed or just a base 1.05 CtC version?
bmheron
Hobo

ok thanks, that makes sense. I'm on a fairly new PC and running Windows 7 (see below for full specs). And I have installed custom engines - the *.PK4 files that I put into the UserExtraContent folder - not sure if that's what you mean.

Prob cant get anything from these details below so I think if it keeps happening I'll do a clean install.

Thanks!

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model:Latitude E6420
System Type:x64-based PC

Operating System Information

Operating System Name:Microsoft Windows 7 Professional |C:\Windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
Build:7601(Multiprocessor Free)
Service Pack:1.0

Memory Information

Total/Free Physical Memory (in GB):7.96/6.19

Graphics Card Information

Graphics Card 1
Graphics Card:NVIDIA NVS 4200M
Driver Version:8.17.12.6883
Date of current driver:20110605000000.000000-000
Video Memory:0.50 GB (512.00 MB)

Processor Information

Number of Logical Processors: 4
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
Current Clock Speed:0.78 Ghz
Maximum Clock Speed:2.80 Ghz
External Clock Speed (If present):0.10 Ghz
Processor Type:64 Bit
Processor Status:OK
Processor information can be affected by power management and certain processor features.

DirectX and Drive Information

Detected DirectX version: (This may not match any expected values) 4.09.00.0904
Drive Information:
Drive C:\ : 236.07GB Free ( 297.74 GB Capacity after formatting)
Stoker
Engineer

Remove the custom engines and see what happens. Custom items are always the most likely thing to be causing crashes in any game. !#2bits#!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Blackhawk
CEO

If you end up re-installing, I would suggest you make a copy of your installation. In case you decide to play 1.06 down the road or even just make a copy of your RT3 1.05 installation and then use the copy for the one use you with custom locomotives. Since you have a newer computer it seems you'll have plenty of hard drive space. To save room I delete the maps and music in my secondary installation as I don't need music while I play the game and the maps are just duplicates taking up space.
Gumboots
CEO

Had a thought here. Are you running the low-res graphics fix?

I notice you have an nVidia card on W7 64 bit. That combo will return an invalid value for VRAM if not corrected by the low-res graphics fix. It's barely possible that somehow this could cause a crash at some stage. **!!!**
bmheron
Hobo

stoker - ok will remove the custom engines. didnt know they might cause a prob

blackhawk - thanks i'll keep that in mind

gumboots - I'm not sure. I seem to remember something that needed to be done when doing the upgrade to 1.05 but cant remember the details. can you refresh me?
Gumboots
CEO

It's the "Blurry Texture Fix " stashed on this page: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/

If you're not running it already, try it. Even if it doesn't fix all the crashes it should make your game look a lot better. I know it doesn't cause crashes, so there's no reason not to have it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

To add to what BH said;
Blackhawk wrote:In case you decide to play 1.06 down the road or even just make a copy of your RT3 1.05 installation and then use the copy for the one use you with custom locomotives.
Have you read this thread about multiple installs?

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363

It won't help right now with your crashing problem, but if you do re-install, it's something to keep in mind.
Hawk
bmheron
Hobo

Gumboots wrote:It's the "Blurry Texture Fix " stashed on this page: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/

If you're not running it already, try it. Even if it doesn't fix all the crashes it should make your game look a lot better. I know it doesn't cause crashes, so there's no reason not to have it.
You know, I'm pretty sure I did install it but could never tell if it worked. I should've done some before/after screenshots to see if my textures looked better. I'll do this on the new install for sure.
bmheron
Hobo

Hawk wrote:To add to what BH said;
Blackhawk wrote:In case you decide to play 1.06 down the road or even just make a copy of your RT3 1.05 installation and then use the copy for the one use you with custom locomotives.
Have you read this thread about multiple installs?

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363

It won't help right now with your crashing problem, but if you do re-install, it's something to keep in mind.

Thanks Hawk. I have been through this thread and followed it when I upgraded to 1.05. I was never able to get 1.06 to run but didnt spend a ton of time since there was so much to do on 1.05. I'll prob give it a try again when I do this fresh install. Thx.

Question - when I reinstall I should be able to copy over my saved game from the old install and try it on the new install to see if it fixed the problem?
Blackhawk
CEO

That can be hard to say as to whether the glitch would be fixed in a saved game, if it is in fact a glitch. It may work correctly, or it may turn out that the saved game was looking for something custom or saved the glitch in the file, like when I tried your saved game, it glitched for me and crashed just like it was doing on your computer.

Long story short, only way to find out if your save works is to try it. But you may have to replay the scenario that you know crashes to see if you can make it through without it crashing.
bmheron
Hobo

Well, the re-install went great. in fact, went further and got 1.06 installed so even better. also installed the blurry texture patch. will see how it goes. thanks all...