Release: Railroad Tycoon 3 Multiplayer Lobby

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
FlorianF
Hobo

Release: Railroad Tycoon 3 Multiplayer Lobby Unread post

I think it would be nice to make an official thread about the RT3 Matchmaker, I just want to share my program with you guys because me and my friends already had lots of fun playing against or with each other!
What this program does is fixing the multiplayer functionality in the game by using my own master server. Due to gamespy being no longer supported this is the only way to play multiplayer without the need of hamachi or other third party software.
This is a serperate program which is able to launch directly to someone's server or to directly host a server, but it works the same as the ingame lobby used to work.

[EDIT 2019]
You can download the revival of the multiplayer lobby here: http://railty3.herokuapp.com/ or directly at https://github.com/FlorianFFF/RT3Multip ... player.exe
Last edited by FlorianF on Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Release: Railroad Tycoon 3 Matchmaker (Multiplayer) Unread post

Florian, I have stopped in a few times, but don't see any people online with the Matchmaker. I can't host as I don't have my own connection. Any idea when you will have some way to plan match-times available?
klmr

I also would like to play multiplayer, but i have the same problem. Maybe we should arrange a time to be there
RulerofRails
CEO

klmr wrote:I also would like to play multiplayer, but i have the same problem. Maybe we should arrange a time to be there
Ok, first I am going to warn you that though my experience in multiplayer is small, I am a bit of a fanatic at this game in single player always chasing a challenge and playing on Expert. I am not cut-throat, and will give others a chance, but some may get left behind chasing haulage goals, PNW, CBV, etc. If you are better than me, great. I am always hunting a challenge. If you are still interested PM me with suggestions.
rcpark57
Cat

Hi, Everyone! RCPark57 here - I'm a big fan of the game over many years, and have ONE devoted gamer friend (a teenager I know and have mentored since he was a lad), and we've figure out how to use the standard built-in multi-player in the C2C 1.05 version. Basically, it's all about networking. To make it happen, we use a free tool called "teamviewer" - and one of us issues a request to establish a VPN connection. Once this happens, all one needs to do is use the VPN's IP address for the node that will be hosting the game, and the user who wants to join, after he selects "Join" - simply puts in the VPN IP of the hosting node and it's magic. We've played about 5 different scenarios, and found quite a few bugs, but what we have also found is the opportunity to play together over the internet, and it has been a blast! I'm absolutely willing to try this with any of you, but mind you, I typically have about 2hrs per week I can dedicate to gaming (right?) so we'll need to PLAN this - I rarely do what I'm doing tonight which is roaming the board... let me know if you'd like to try this method, and I too will look into this "matchmaker" release and compare.

ALSO: I have a question! Do any of the downloadable maps include a multi-player feature? Is that just automatic? I know the list of maps for c2c1.05 is smaller than the list for single-player scenarios, or so it seems... Will test on my own, but figure that the MP map is not included.

Thanks! RCP57
RulerofRails
CEO

Hi RCPark57. I have heard of bugs in multiplayer. How bad are the ones you've found? Does your method involve opening ports on the router to host a game? Or does "teamviewer" take care of this?

I am curious about multiplayer, but can't say that I will play it lots into the future. However, I am up to giving it a shot your way as well. Will look into it and try to install later.

I don't know what makes a map multiplayer. Sorry.

ETA: I discovered by reading the comments in the review section that The Baghdad Railway by Lama is multiplayer. So that's one we could try.
Lama
Brakeman

These are my real-world maps that support MP games:

"Northeast Corridor" is designed specifically with multi-player in mind. Win by points, awarded annually for most passengers hauled to/from in specific locations and overall, and highest express speed.

"Guatemala" - to win, connect the most cities within 25 years.

"Mecklenburg & Pommerania" - win by most passengers hauled.

"German South-West Africa" - win by highest PNW.

"Louisville & Nashville" - win by highest CBV.

"Summer Vacation" - win by hauling most tourists (troops).

I have another primarily MP map which I never released. I tried to test it in MP, but at the time, too few players were available, and it was never really feasible.
If there is interest, I'll make it available. It is called "Race to the Rhine." Players start in four different port cities, and must connect to the Rhineland.

Fictional Maps with MP support:

"Isola Nova" - win by points, awarded annually by country for most loads hauled there, plus bonus for most loads total hauled per year. This map should work nicely for multiple RRs.

"Grey Coast & Grand River" - win by points, awarded annually for any village served, and lump sums for first connections.
FlorianF
Hobo

Lama wrote:These are my real-world maps that support MP games:

"Northeast Corridor" is designed specifically with multi-player in mind. Win by points, awarded annually for most passengers hauled to/from in specific locations and overall, and highest express speed.

"Guatemala" - to win, connect the most cities within 25 years.

"Mecklenburg & Pommerania" - win by most passengers hauled.

"German South-West Africa" - win by highest PNW.

"Louisville & Nashville" - win by highest CBV.

"Summer Vacation" - win by hauling most tourists (troops).

I have another primarily MP map which I never released. I tried to test it in MP, but at the time, too few players were available, and it was never really feasible.
If there is interest, I'll make it available. It is called "Race to the Rhine." Players start in four different port cities, and must connect to the Rhineland.

Fictional Maps with MP support:

"Isola Nova" - win by points, awarded annually by country for most loads hauled there, plus bonus for most loads total hauled per year. This map should work nicely for multiple RRs.

"Grey Coast & Grand River" - win by points, awarded annually for any village served, and lump sums for first connections.
Great work! I will include these maps in the next update so everybody using the matchmaker will have them available. If someone would like to submit other maps I will make a function like this on my website.

There is somewhat of a timer on my website so you can catch up other players at intervals of 4 hours. Although I want to improve this so people can arrange times themselves.

For trouble on hosting you should open port 9000 (UDP), for a guide check this website: http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... rindex.htm and choose the router you have.

I will update to a new better version as soon as possible with better features! Thanks to the people who support this!
Random12multi
Cat

Is it possible for someone to host a 24/7 multiplayer server so we can all just log on and play?
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

So is this ever going to be made compatible with 1.06?
Blackhawk
CEO

Doubtful considering the code for multiplayer in 1.06 is broken.
vondasssendorf
Cat

So my antivirus flags the matchmaker as malware, when i try to run in a safe enviroment it wont even start so the question is what kind of program this really is?
vondasssendorf
Cat

hmm I got the matchmaker to start but the game crashes when I try to host a game any ideas on what the problem might be?
RulerofRails
CEO

vondasssendorf wrote:hmm I got the matchmaker to start but the game crashes when I try to host a game any ideas on what the problem might be?
Good to see a new face here! I don't know if I can be helpful. But, did you open up a port following the instructions in the link FlorianF posted halfway down this page regarding opening up port 9000 in your router?
Tiksi
Cat

Link to download MatchMaker doesnt work, Can someone upload it to this forum?

Thx
RulerofRails
CEO

For whatever reason, the matchmaker itself is no longer working. Maybe it relied on a server which is down. I could give you what I have, but it will not work. :-(
Tiksi
Cat

Does anyone play it on GameRanger???
traindriver
Cat

link is down
RulerofRails
CEO

Yes, unfortunately this project seems to have fizzled out. Who knows what happened with this guy, probably just moved on to other things/lack of time. **!!!** Maybe the "announcement" pinning at the top of this forum section isn't warranted at the moment?
Gumboots
CEO

I've unpinned it. Can pin it again if someone resurrects the project. !*th_up*!