Orient Express Campaign not showing video?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Gunnar
Cat

Orient Express Campaign not showing video? Unread post

I am in the Europe Room of the campaign, and now am on Orient Express. Problem is, the video is not loading! I click the display case, and the geezer starts talking, but it goes to the loading screen and he is cut off when its done loading.

Any idea how to watch the video for it? I looked in the movie folder for RT3 but didn't see it, although the names are not very accurate on the videos. Can anyone help me? !!howdy!!

I just want to see the video, I love them!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Orient Express Campaign not showing video? Unread post

Is there a file in your Railroad Tycoon 3\Data\Movies folder named orient.bik?
Hawk
Gunnar
Cat

No sir! It is weird, I appear to be missing quite a few of the videos!

I installed it from the CD then got it patched up to 1.5 with coast to coast. I don't know what 1.6 offers so I never got around to that, or what it is

I have a way to view the ones I do have from the folder with a program, but it doesn't have the audio when I view it from the folder

But it seems I am missing a few. Is it possible someone could send me a copy of their movies folder? And then I could just put it in my movie folder? Or would that be stealing
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Since the all the movies in the Movies folder total up to about 294 MB, why not list what files are missing from your folder. Here's a list of what's in mine.
Alps.bik
Argentina.bik
BloodIron.bik
Britain.bik
California.bik
Campaign_Win.bik
CapeToCairo.bik
Dutchlantis.bik
French.bik
Greenland.bik
Japan.bik
Loop_A.bik
Loop_B.bik
Loop_C.bik
Loop_D.bik
lose.bik
New_Germany.bik
orient.bik
Texas.bik
TransCon.bik
Transition_A_to_B.bik
Transition_B_to_A.bik
Transition_B_to_C.bik
Transition_C_to_B.bik
Transition_C_to_D.bik
Transition_D_to_C.bik
War_Effort.bik
WestToBuffalo.bik
win.bik
Gunnar wrote: I have a way to view the ones I do have from the folder with a program, but it doesn't have the audio when I view it from the folder
Are you using bik player? http://www.bikplayer.com/
Hawk
Gunnar
Cat

Ok the Videos I have are:

Alps
Argentina
BloodIron
Britain
Campaign_Win
CapeToCairo
French
Loop_A
Loop_B
Loop_C
Loop_D
lose
New_Germany
Texas
TransCon
Transition_A_to_B
Transition_B_to_A
Transition_B_to_C
Transition_C_to_B
Transition_C_to_D
Transition_D_to_C
War_Effort
WestToBuffalo
win

Yes I am viewing them in Bik Player. They have the animation sound, but no voices. In-Game, the ones I have work just fine.

Except for Argentina, it does not work. Even in bik player. It loads up and then stops.

So I think I will need the movies for everyone that is not listed, and a new argentina one! If that is possible :p

perhaps it can be emailed?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You won't get the voices in the bik movies when played in BikPlayer. The voice overlays in game are from mp3 files found in the Data\Voice folder.

Just the 5 files you're missing (plus Argentina) are about 86.5 MB. Too big to email in one zip and too big to attach to a post.
I've uploaded a zip file to my site where you can download them.

Edit 1: File and link deleted
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

Just outta curosity do you have VIDEOS turned OFF in OPTIONS?
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

He did say all the movies played in the game except for Argentina, and the 5 he had missing.
Hawk
Gunnar
Cat

I never thought of zip files, good idea!

I downloaded it, put it in the movie folder, unzipped, replaced argentina, and now all the videos work properly in game!

So, I guess, Thank you! My problem is solved! !!howdy!! !!clap!!

I am very happy to be able to play this game again, I last played it back when I was a youngin it is bringing me good memories... and I seem to be much better this time around!

Thanks again for being so quick in your help as well!

!$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Glad it worked out for ya'. (0!!0)

Edit 1: I went to delete the zip file and I noticed there was another similar file on the server. So I did a search on the forum for Movies and lo-n-behold, found this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3552&hilit=movies

Then I checked the site and sure 'nuff, there's a Movies zip on the site, which also includes the missing Intro movie.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm

Come to remember, the Atari single disk release did not include the missing videos. Apparently they were on the 2nd disk in the original 2-cd release.
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:Come to remember, the Atari single disk release did not include the missing videos. Apparently they were on the 2nd disk in the original 2-cd release.
Yeah never did figure out what exactly they did that. Just glad that the 2nd disk didn't contain anything else in regards to the game itself. I think beyond those movies and making sure you could download it that disc contained the files of the demo and free little game it came with.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The single cd release also did not include the Map Editor, which is also available on the website.
Hawk
Gunnar
Cat

Hello again!

I read your replies, and the thing is, I do not have the single CD version, I have the two CD version which includes the demos for some games such as Mall Tycoon (Which I played as well as a kid...). The second CD (play) is in my computer right at this moment! It has the map editor as well

So it is a real mystery why I would be missing those movies, perhaps I didn't install it correctly?

Either way I am very happy it is working now.

By the way , little off topic, I need a tip on gameplay.

At a city, around it there are 6 logging camps, each making 2 logs (so 12 logs a year). I bought these since there were no lumber yards nearby , so they were dirt cheap. I then built a lumber yard in the city where they are very close. Also built a paper mill and a furniture factory. It is making lots of money now! My problem is, I have a large stock of logs building up. The lumber mill says it has a max production of 10 lumber. But I am getting 12 logs a year from the logging camps. Ok let me just put this in a nice way...

6 logging camps
1 lumber mill
1 furniture factory
1 paper mill

Is this a good idea? I am thinking since I have a buildup of logs (I am getting more logs than my lumber mill go through) that maybe I should build a second lumber mill (but maybe not upgrade it?)

What do you guys think? Should I build a second lumber mill nearby or would that be bad? (Might drive up the price of the logs, and lower the value of the lumber.. but since I own the whole industry chain would it even affect it anyway?) Or maybe the two lumber mills would just compete badly, one taking too much logs and one not taking enough or something? (I mean maybe the distribution mechanics are bad)
Shamough
Conductor

You've upgraded ... now double bown. Build and upgrade another Lumber Mill, Paper Mill and Furnature Factury. Add trains that skip the closest cities in both directions.
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Those 5 movies, plus the intro movie, are on the second cd. They're not installed when you install the game. If you still have to insert the Play cd to play the game, and those movies aren't playing, it sounds like the game isn't fully reading the cd.
The game should be playing those movies off of the cd when you play those 5 maps.

Since you still need to insert the cd to play the game, this old page on the website might interest you. ;-)

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/no_cd/no_cd_patch.htm

I'm going to lock this topic or it's going to get waaaaay off topic. You really should post your question in a new thread.
Besides, this topic is discussed in a lot more detail in the thread I linked to 5 posts up.
Hawk