How to take screenshots on Windows 8?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
aiven
Hobo

How to take screenshots on Windows 8? Unread post

I cannot seem to get any screenshots. The ingame button gives me a message that I'm not in full-screen (though I am). The prt-screen button (Windows 8 function) gives me just a black image, when I try to paste it into a picture editor. Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?
OilCan
Engineer

Re: How to take screenshots on Windows 8? Unread post

Use the PrtScr (print screen) key. Ignore the message which pops up about needing to be in full screen mode. Open your picture editor, paint or a word document. Paste. The image should appear.
Attachments
rsz_example.jpg
OilCan
Engineer

I prefer to use the windows snipping tool rather than the PrtScr key. I can snip the area of the screen that I want to keep.

Windows 8 (&10) hides the snipping tool. You have to type 'snip' in the start search bar and press enter for it to appear.
Attachments
example2.JPG
aiven
Hobo

OilCan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:23 pm Use the PrtScr (print screen) key. Ignore the message which pops up about needing to be in full screen mode. Open your picture editor, paint or a word document. Paste. The image should appear.
I tried it, still get a completely black picture pasted.
RulerofRails
CEO

Oilcan, are you running the dgVoodoo 2 fix?

This is the only downside I found for using the dgVoodoo 2 fix on Win 8.1: screenshots don't work when the game is in Full-screen mode. Not just the message, the resulting images however captured are blank. I found some info that might explain: viewtopic.php?p=42674#p42674.

But, screenshots still work in windowed mode. However, I don't like this because I use the uniws patch to get widescreen (1920x1080). Drawback of this hacked solution being that your custom resolution is lost each time you toggle windowed/full-screen modes. The game must be restarted again in full-screen for widescreen to take effect even though I have a "1920x1080" copy of the engine.cfg in storage ready to paste into the Data\Configuration folder. I do have a copy of the uniws program in all my installs, but the time consuming thing with it is finding your install (it needs the Configuration folder) before doing the patch.

I'm still using FRAPS for screenshots. Slightly limited for quality by only being able to take bmp format with the "free version", but it works in full-screen mode at an easy keystroke. It needs to be running in the background (can be started the moment you want the picture and closed immediately), but I didn't notice any performance hit (my machine is better than average) if I just leave it running for awhile.
aiven
Hobo

RulerofRails wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 pm Oilcan, are you running the dgVoodoo 2 fix?

This is the only downside I found for using the dgVoodoo 2 fix on Win 8.1: screenshots don't work when the game is in Full-screen mode. Not just the message, the resulting images however captured are blank. I found some info that might explain: viewtopic.php?p=42674#p42674.

But, screenshots still work in windowed mode. However, I don't like this because I use the uniws patch to get widescreen (1920x1080). Drawback of this hacked solution being that your custom resolution is lost each time you toggle windowed/full-screen modes. The game must be restarted again in full-screen for widescreen to take effect even though I have a "1920x1080" copy of the engine.cfg in storage ready to paste into the Data\Configuration folder. I do have a copy of the uniws program in all my installs, but the time consuming thing with it is finding your install (it needs the Configuration folder) before doing the patch.

I'm still using FRAPS for screenshots. Slightly limited for quality by only being able to take bmp format with the "free version", but it works in full-screen mode at an easy keystroke. It needs to be running in the background (can be started the moment you want the picture and closed immediately), but I didn't notice any performance hit (my machine is better than average) if I just leave it running for awhile.
I have the exact same problem. Fraps works though, nice tip. It's not perfect, but much better than nothing. I had it on my computer, since I bought it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The PrtScrn button should place a tga image file in your Railroad Tycoon 3 installs folder in the Screenshots folder. Have you looked there?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

The Voodoo graphics fix kills RT3's screenshot function. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am The Voodoo graphics fix kills RT3's screenshot function. ;-)
That sucks. :-(
I guess you have to take the bad with the good.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Doesn't really bother me. I just pop into windowed mode when I want to take a shot, and use standard Windows functionality. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! So it only affects full screen mode. I got'cha.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

RulerofRails wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 pm Oilcan, are you running the dgVoodoo 2 fix?
No. I don't have that installed.
Gumboots
CEO

It's worth trying. The improvement in graphics is quite amazing.
RulerofRails
CEO

Oilcan, if you want to try it, download "dgVoodoo 2.54" (the latest version) from the official site: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html.

After download, all you need to do is place the file from the "MS" folder named "d3d8.dll" in your game folder. It may work just like this, but to configure it better you can then run the executable (it's the Control Panel or basically config). I provided my settings here: download/file.php?id=4390&t=1 but please note that I now set RAM to 1024MB. And of course, no pressure. 8-)
OilCan
Engineer

I'll download it this afternoon.

Since I like to make game maps, I stay away from any additions / modifications beyond the default 1.05 Coast to Coast download package, and the 1.06V download package. I have to assume that the player does not have any additional / modified files in their RT3 files.

This dgvoodoo appears not to modify the game files but modifies the way the game renders the graphics (if that's the right way to say it).
Gumboots
CEO

Yup. It shouldn't have any adverse effects on mapmaking, since it doesn't affect gameplay as such. It just makes stuff look better. (0!!0)
RulerofRails
CEO

I'm not a map creator, but Gumboots and I did see some evidence that it may prevent map painting degradation. What I have observed is no loss in file size when saving a map. In my normal install (Win7) each time I save a map it's a little bit smaller. Assuming that this will work the same in your install, this may help you when editing maps. :-)
OilCan
Engineer

My firefox browser sees malware in the download file. Did your browser give the same warning? Should I ignore firefox?
malware.jpg
RulerofRails
CEO

Yeah, the latest version of Firefox seems to think that. But the older version didn't. Just ignore the warning.
aiven
Hobo

RulerofRails wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:55 am Oilcan, if you want to try it, download "dgVoodoo 2.54" (the latest version) from the official site: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html.

After download, all you need to do is place the file from the "MS" folder named "d3d8.dll" in your game folder. It may work just like this, but to configure it better you can then run the executable (it's the Control Panel or basically config). I provided my settings here: download/file.php?id=4390&t=1 but please note that I now set RAM to 1024MB. And of course, no pressure. 8-)
So highly recommended. Graphics improves by a lot. Should perhaps be mentioned on the RT3 page too.