Not really a problem but an idea.

Please post questions or comments about the site or the forum here.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Not really a problem but an idea. Unread post

Hawk wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:59 am I just checked the PM settings and PM's shouldn't be deleted when the box gets full (50) It should just hold back any new messages.
You do have the option of creating new boxes. You can have 5 PM boxes.
By the way, about this. The PM rules options allow automatically sending PM's from a member directly to a particular folder, but for some reason don't allow sending messages to a member directly to the same folder.

As an example, I talk about cargo scale and locomotive stats testing with RoR quite a bit. I've just started talking with Bomber about modelling. I can set things to send any PM's from Bomber to a separate Bomber folder, but I can't set things to automatically place any PM's to Bomber in the Bomber folder.

Which seems dumb, but that's the way it is. This means if I want to keep the conversation together, and not just in the default Inbox, I have to be constantly shifting my messages to the custom folder by hand. Quite honestly, this is too much of a PITA to bother with. In practice, it makes more sense to just let the conversations stack up in the default inbox.

So what I'm wondering is does anyone actually use the extra folders? Because if nobody does, or hardly anybody does, it may be more sensible to disallow the extra folders and just allow more PM's in the default Inbox and Sent messages. Same overall storage space, but less complicated.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If I remember correctly, you have to intentionally create the extra folders. If so, why create them if it doesn't work as you want it to, other than for separating them out of the inbox to a special folder for storage and quick reference? **!!!**

I can disable the ability to create them, but I'll wait and see what other replies come in for this topic.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Well, I created them to see if I could get them to work. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I had a look in the ACP at the PM settings, looking to see if there was some kind of option like message rules, but this is all the settings available.

PM.jpg

Not really anything there to do what I think you want it to do.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Yup. It'd be a limitation of how the folder rules are set up, somewhere in the back end coding.