Been gone way too long.

Please post questions or comments about the site or the forum here.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Been gone way too long. Unread post

So yeah title says it all. Anything interesting I've missed since I last kept up here in late 2017? New rolling stock or loco's being worked on for example?
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Been gone way too long. Unread post

Oh yeah. Dunno if you're into making maps from MicroDEM, but I figured out how to get much better height resolution when the maps are imported into RT3.

The story is that the custom RT3 height table for MicroDEM (ELEV_COLORS_0-9999.dbf) was borked, and was only giving heights in 40 metre (130 foot) chunks. I figured out how the RT3 height scale works, and how to fix the .dbf file, so it's now possible to make maps with height resolution down to 5 metres. That's useful for some maps, but not so useful for others, so I also made another set of tables on an 8 metre resolution. That's the same resolution that ELEV_COLORS_0-9999.dbf was supposed to have, but didn't.

It's possible in theory to make a map of the world from the Dead Sea (lowest point) to the peak of Everest (highest point, obviously) with 1 metre height resolution. That seems to be the basis for their thinking on the height scale. In practice that's not a useful scale to work on, because the grades end up vastly exaggerated over anything practical.

If you're curious, the best place to start reading is probably here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3708&start=30#p46292
Read that page and the next one to get a good understanding of the whole thing. There are example maps to go with the new height tables. !*th_up*!