Reinstalled RT3 on Win10!

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Reinstalled RT3 on Win10! Unread post

Hey everybody! Not sure who'll remember me, but I today managed to get RT3 on a new laptop, moving from Win7 to Win10. I haven't played this game in about 2 years, so it feels amazing to be able to play it again. And good that this awesome game is still being talked about, loved, and even that new content is being made! ::!**!

I'm now going through the process of adding in all the old content I used to have, currently working on locos. I have most of them, but then there's maps, logos, and patches/fixes/updates to things. I have 1.05 installed, and all my locos seem to be working, but I just now installed Gumboots' Samson loco, and the Passenger Appeal is listed as "Frozen at midnight", evidently I need the new language text file. Like I said, I'm still re-learning how to mod everything!
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Reinstalled RT3 on Win10! Unread post

Don't forget to install dgVoodoo. It makes a big difference. :)
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I've done that, the graphics look how they're meant to (no blurry textures). I'm assuming it is 1080p, since I used the resolution patch, although the in game settings list it as 640x480, presumably because there is no setting or 1920x1080.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Hello and welcome back! I came back myself not long ago after a long absence - in fact I don't think I even managed to get RT3 on to Windows 7, it was XP last time I played... I had already left when you cam by the looks of it - anyway good to have you with us. !!howdy!!
sbaros
Conductor

Hey Gumboots, you are God ! dgVoodoo not only makes a difference. It actually permitted me to run at last version 1.06 and Trainmaster on that bloody machine I had mentioned previously. It doesn't refuse to load the programs anymore! And it runs them also from my portable USB stick.
Thanks to your advise, all my machines run RR Tycoon now, which is highly convenient.
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
Gumboots
CEO

Oh good. Would have mentioned it earlier if I'd thought of it. *!*!*! That probably should be the first bit of advice when anyone has trouble getting RT3 running: install dgVoodoo.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

So I've added in the new language settings and updated Mogul and Consolidation, Thatcher Perkins, and Pennsy H3. I had all these on my old computer, it's good to have them again. Although calling any Victorian Steam locomotive ugly, or even gruesome, is wrong. The Pennsy H3 looks awesome! :)

It's going to take getting used to though. Acceptable now means only 90% passenger revenue, and Looks Good is the new default. And I don't have any locomotives that are Ultra Cool (130%) any more, do any even exist?
Gumboots
CEO

Default Ultra Cool is 120%, not 130%. I know umpteen people have said it's 130%, but it isn't (it was changed to 120% during beta testing).

In the new scale Ultra Cool is 140%, and is basically only intended for late era (2000 +) premium express locos.
Very Cool is 130%. Again, mainly for later eras where the loco cost is very high and pax numbers are reduced.
Looks Sharp is now 120%. Looks Good is 110%. Acceptable is still 100%. Unappealing is 90%.
Quite Poor is 80%. Very Poor is 70%. Extremely Poor is 60%.

Extremely Poor was Gruesome, but I changed the name because a loco can by quite appealing in itself, even if pax appeal would be low due to low speed or whatever. I thought using the same rating names as for acceleration/fuel/reliability made more sense.

But really it doesn't matter what you call them. It's just a text file. If you want to change the names to something else, go for it. The file that's on this site (in whatever thread) is probably an older version, but the percentages are the same. The percent change in pax revenue only depends on the hex code, not on the visible name.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Ah then yes I have your outdated language file, where I think it's:
130 - Ultra Cool
120 - Very Cool
110 - Looks Sharp
100 - Looks Good
90 - Acceptable
80 - Ugly
70 - Very Ugly
60 - Gruesome

But your new one makes more sense, do you have a link to the file I can download?
Gumboots wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 pm Default Ultra Cool is 120%, not 130%. I know umpteen people have said it's 130%, but it isn't (it was changed to 120% during beta testing).
I know this. In the default game it is 120, (I actually read your Readme) but I meant in my game it is 130, but I don't have any locomotives that give 130, even with extra fan made locomotives, so was wondering if any exist?
Gumboots
CEO

But your new one makes more sense, do you have a link to the file I can download?
I'll make a 1.06 version tonight, and upload both of them. !*th_up*!

There aren't any 130% or 140% locos yet, because nobody knew those ratings were possible*. We (RoR and myself) added those ratings because we thought they might be useful for some specific applications.

*You can actually make functioning pax appeal ratings from zero to 200% if you want to.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Oh I'm using 1.05, not 1.06.

And imagine a train with 0% passenger appeal. No matter the journey, passengers outright refuse to pay. :lol:
Gumboots
CEO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenzana
Due to frequent bends, curves and ascents the train's average speed was a mere 25 km/h; together with all stops, the whole journey between Trieste and Poreč took approximately 7 hours.

At slower sections passengers often alighted the train to pick fruit from one of many orchards, or to relieve themselves (coaches were not fitted with toilets), then boarded the train anew. Fare dodgers would also board the train in such a manner, so as to avoid ticket controls.
;)

Edit: Oh yeah, turns out there is a 130% locomotive. I used that rating for the beta version of the NSWGR 14 Class. I may change it though. Not sure yet.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

So I added in a few new mods today, (logos and locos), and now my game crashes before I can load anything. Fortunately I don't have any saves as I've just been testing the mods to see if they work, but is there a fix besides deleting everything and reinstalling? :cry:

There's no error box for Sandbox, but for a scenario it says something along the lines of "Error loading data, consider reinstalling the game" :cry:
Gumboots
CEO

It's probably only one that is borked. I'd remove the few you've installed since it was working, then add them one at a time and check to see it still works. That should nail down the dodgy one pretty quickly. If you find it, we can check out the guts of it to see what the bug is. :)
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

It's possibly one of the locomotives, but unfortunately I did add a lot of logos recently. But the fact Sandbox doesn't work either, makes me think it is a loco. Annoyingly I've added in a lot today (since I tested it yesterday), so finding the one (or more) broken one(s) won't be easy.

EDIT: So I don't think it's a case of any one mod in particular failing, but more that, according to the Readme in FavouriteLogos by Porter Hopson, if you have 100+ extra logos the game crashes.

EDIT: So I deleted all the files beginning with "Logo" in my UserExtraContent folder, but still have lots of realistic looking logos from real Railroads. Not sure which pack that was from, all the ones I've redownloaded (but not added, the Zips are sitting in my Downloads folder) have files with names beginning with "Logo". In any case, I have lots of custom logos, I'm just not sure *which* ones exactly. But the game works again. **!!!**

EDIT: It seems to be MrScott's pack that has the realistic RR logos. I also have the China one. So at least I now know to not download every logo available! I'll stick to realistic ones!
Gumboots
CEO

TheBonobo4 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:37 pm Oh I'm using 1.05, not 1.06.

And imagine a train with 0% passenger appeal. No matter the journey, passengers outright refuse to pay. :lol:
Forgot about this. *!*!*! I've attached a zipped 1.05 file.
Still haven't got around to making an updated 1.06 version (I haven't played 1.06 for ages). Will try to get motivated.

Edit: Removed dodgy attachment. See two posts down for the new one. !*th_up*!
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Can you explain this new file? It seems to be something like:
140 - Ultra Cool
130 - Very Cool
120 - Looks Sharp
110 - Looks Good
100 - Acceptable
90 - Unappealing
80 - Looks Slow
70 - Very Poor
60 - Ultra Low

But it also has in the Language file names for "Very Poor" and "Extremely Poor"?
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, my mistake. I've gone through the 1.05 and 1.06 versions to make sure they are (hopefully) free of errors. Both are in the zip attached to this post.

I've also added some corrections that weren't in the earlier version. One is:

Code: Select all

;@gumbootz: Customised text to handle the whole of the new passenger appeal scale (this is the maximum number of ratings that will fit without overflowing the game wrapper).
	3847 "Passenger appeal = passenger revenue: Ultra Cool = 140%, Very Cool = 130%, Looks Sharp = 120%, Looks Good = 110%,\nAcceptable = 100%, Unappealing = 90%, Quite Poor = 80%, Very Poor = 70%, Extremely Poor = 60%, Atrocious = 50%."
This should make things easier on the brain. (0!!0)

Note that it adds an extra Atrocious = 50% revenue rating. This is the maximum number of ratings that will fit before the text will run out of available space when viewing it (ie: when hovering the cursor over "Passenger Appeal" in the "buy a loco" pop-up). The complete scale now goes like this:

;@gumbootz: Customised passenger appeal ratings begin here.
	;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
	;	#ID    Rating Name      Revenue		Hex value		Default string
	;	2703 - Ultra Cool       140% 		12 00 00 00		Frozen at 8 am
	;	2702 - Very Cool        130%		11 00 00 00		Frozen at 7 am
	;	2688 - Looks Sharp      120%		03 00 00 00		Ultra Cool
	;	2687 - Looks Good       110%		02 00 00 00		Looks Sharp
	;	2686 - Acceptable       100%		01 00 00 00		Acceptable
	;	3173 - Unappealing       90%		00 00 00 00		Ugly
	;	2697 - Quite Poor        80%		0C 00 00 00		Frozen at 2 am
	;	2696 - Very Poor    	 70%		0B 00 00 00		Frozen at 1 am
	;	2695 - Extremely Poor	 60%		0A 00 00 00		Frozen at midnight
	;	2716 - Atrocious	 50%		1F 00 00 00		Frozen at 9pm

I've also added an explanation of which other strings are possible extra ratings and what pax appeal they would give. I don't think they're necessary, but if anyone wants to use them they are available. Note that it's not possible to get ratings of 10%, 30% or 40% (I don't think it matters anyway).

;	Some other strings could extend this scale further if necessary.
	;	2704 = 13 00 00 00 = 150% pax appeal.
	;	2705 = 14 00 00 00 = 160% pax appeal.
	;	2706 = 15 00 00 00 = 170% pax appeal.
	;	2707 = 16 00 00 00 = 180% pax appeal.
	;	2708 = 17 00 00 00 = 190% pax appeal.
	;	2709 = 18 00 00 00 = 200% pax appeal.
	;	2717 = 20 00 00 00 = 20% pax appeal.
	;	2718 = 21 00 00 00 = 0% pax appeal.
	;---------------------------------------
You can check the whole file for custom bits and notes by searching for @gumbootz. I used that heading wherever I made a note of something, or altered default code. If anything is still not clear, feel free to ask. :)
Incidentally, this has got me idly wondering if it would be feasible to make an enjoyable and challenging scenario where you had to haul only express cargoes.
Attachments
Custom_pax_appeal_RT3_lng.zip
(144.48 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Thank you so much! That's far more logical! !$th_u$! Though I do wonder what sort of locomotive would warrant a 50% passenger appeal?

Regarding a passenger based scenario, that could be fun, what exactly did you have in mind in terms of location, era, and objectives?
Gumboots
CEO

TheBonobo4 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:38 pm Thank you so much! That's far more logical! !$th_u$! Though I do wonder what sort of locomotive would warrant a 50% passenger appeal?
One that was slower and uglier than a 60% loco. :-D
Really I just put the extra rating in to show how much space was available in the game interface, and partly for my own reference.

Regarding a passenger based scenario, that could be fun, what exactly did you have in mind in terms of location, era, and objectives?
Location? No idea yet. *!*!*! Era? Ditto. **!!!** Objectives? Haul lotsa pax. :lol:

Come to think of it: in the 1923-1940 period, Southern Railway in the UK made the vast majority of its revenue from passenger traffic. IIRC it did haul some freight, but this only accounted for around 20% of total revenue. And Southern did own hotels and ferries too, so I'm not sure if the 80% revenue from pax included those (would have to check the figures). Since I've never made a scenario for that @&!^!$ Schools class choofer because I haven't been able to think of a good one, this may be the beginnings of a good idea.
Hmm. Here's a thought. Southern was formed from three previous companies: LSWR, LBSCR, and SECR (which was technically made up of two companies, but operated as one). There were also a few small odds and sods that got thrown into the mix, but the three mentioned were the main ones.

So, you could have a scenario set up so that you had to start as one of the three, and had to meet a certain goal (controlling interest in all three?) before you got to move on to the chair of Southern in 1923 (which would be required for Gold). No idea how the scripting would go at the moment, but the concept is intriguing.

Also, this site needs more smileys.