Howdy Folks!

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

Re: Howdy Folks! Unread post

Gumboots wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 am
MrScott1964 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pmMaybe It's time to take a re-look at the game. The mention of a Blender importer has perked up my ears for sure.
The Blender import/export script works perfectly on Blender 2.7x, but so far has not been updated for Blender 2.8x or 2.9x. Basically, I got the thing working ages ago, and have just kept using 2.7x because I had the workflow going well (after much sweating and swearing) and couldn't be bothered relearning the Blender gui to deal with the massive changes to 2.8.

So if you're cool with using 2.7x then no problem. If you want to use 2.8 or 2.9 the script will need to be updated before it will work. !*th_up*!
Actually I'm in the same boat...I'm having a hard time getting the inspiration to learn Blender 2.8 and up so I've been bullishly sticking with 2.7. Whether it be Trainz or Railworks, it's 2.7 that I become comfortable with. Is the a link you can share for the exporter?
Gumboots
CEO

Sure. It's attached to this post: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3879&p=40470#p40470

If you have any questions about using it, just ask in that thread. Basics are that it will only export faces that have UV mapping. If they aren't mapped to UV, the export will fail. This doesn't apply to importing though, so you can import files that have no textures (ie: smoke files, TrackPoint files, etc.). It's only exporting that requires UV's.

Also, it only exports faces and/or objects that are currently selected. I split the model into the various game components (body, bogies, etc) and export by selecting each one sequentially.

If you want to see some of the assets I've made with it: there are the links in my sig, and there are some extra locos here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4256
RulerofRails
CEO

Sorry if I caused any worry with my comment. I will be more careful in the future. Carry on. :salute:
MrScott1964
Brakeman

Oh thanks for the exporter. I'll take a look at it.
Gumboots
CEO

No worries. If you're curious about how they're put together, I'm also fine with supplying .blend files for any assets I've made.