Hello!

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
matthew s
Hobo

Hello! Unread post

I'm new to this page. I had RT3 around when it oringally released. I was just figuring out how to play it and then lost my computer in a natural disaster. So, came across RT3 in steam and bought it. Lots of good info here.

Matthew
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Hello! Unread post

Hi. Welcome to the site. There is a good stash of information here, but not a lot of activity lately. However, feel free to ask anything you want to ask. Someone will pop up with an answer. :)
RulerofRails
CEO

(*!!wel

Good to see new faces. Sorry about your computer, but glad you are fine. Yeah, over the years we have gone pretty deep into understanding the nuances of the game. :D
Grandma Ruth
CEO

(*!!wel Matthew! Good to have you with us. I've just started playing again after spending a lot of time working on my family tree, another activity that becomes obsessive! Any questions, ask away. One of us will be able to help I'm sure. !!howdy!!
matthew s
Hobo

How to I use the user created maps here? I downloaded a couple, unzipped them and placed in the Maps folder. However, I can't see them when I go to choose my map in RT3. What other steps do I need to do. I'm on windows10 and running RT3 through steam. I have installed the graphic fix (dgvoodoo).
Gumboots
CEO

Were the maps you downloaded for 1.05 or 1.06? 1.06 maps are not playable in 1.05. I'm pretty sure Steam does not support 1.06 either (have never used Steam myself).
matthew s
Hobo

I specificly used 1.05 verson maps as I have not ventured into 1.06 or trainmaster yet. I am running 1.05 coast to coast. I just don't see how to access the downloaded maps.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

I think it must be a Steam thing. I just tried to reproduce your problem. Downloaded a map, put it in the maps folder. Opened RT3>Single Player>New Scenario. Click on "Map" button to see drop-down and there it is! Not sure how Steam works, is it something like this?
Added: Which maps have you downloaded?
matthew s
Hobo

alternate alternate USA and Costa Calida

I did exactly as you did, but it doesn't bring up the new maps.
Silverback
Watchman

does this post in the steam community help?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/7610/dis ... 265502095/

I think this means in your steam application under library right click on Railroad Tycoon 3? select properties and local files to get to the maps folder and copy the unzipped map file if you haven't aready done this.

I don't have the steam version of RT3. Steam sometimes puts files in odd places in hidden folders or deletes manually copied files. Steam has poor support for older games. I find Good old Games better to buy from. https://www.gog.com/
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Hi, I reproduced the problem with Costa Calida. It doesn't show up in the ordinary list, but it does if you put it in the 1.06 game. Steam doesn't recognise 1.06 as we made it ourselves, so that must be why it's not there. Not sure about the other one - is that a 1.06 map as well?
Gumboots
CEO

When I uploaded Costa Calida to the archives I forgot to put a note that it's for 1.06 (although it does mention that in the forum thread for the map). I'll edit the archive entry to fix it. :)

I seem to recall Alternate USA did have an archive entry and a support thread, but I couldn't find them yesterday. Not sure what's up there.

Edit: Found it - viewtopic.php?f=84&t=86
This is a 1.05 map that was part of the CtC Expansion, so is not in the archives, but should be ok on Steam if Steam handles CtC (which I think it does).
matthew s
Hobo

FYI the steam version IS coast to coast.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

matthew s wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:25 pm alternate alternate USA and Costa Calida

I did exactly as you did, but it doesn't bring up the new maps.
I know this is a silly question, but do you mean "Alternate USA" or "Alternate Alternate USA" ? The last one is one of mine - !facepalm!
sorry! I'd forgotten all about it, and it is also 1.06. I've just read the thread viewtopic.php?f=84&t=86 and there was obviously a bit of confusion going on in everybody's mind, not just mine!

Although 1.06 was partly my baby, I wouldn't recommend playing with it much. It's been superseded by TrainMaster - which is also one of ours, so Steam probably won't like it either.

Maybe someone can figure out a way to manipulate the Steam folders somehow? **!!!**
matthew s
Hobo

OK, so I downloaded a couple more and unzipped and viola, there they are, 1.06 items don't show up but 1.05 items work. I might try copying over my game and then make that version a trainmaster version. Seems a bit more tricky than the video fix for 1.05. Another day maybe. Do you know if the 1.06 maps run on trainmaster? I kinda assumed yes. I think you have to do 1.06 to then do train master but I'm not sure. I'll have to look up another day.

Thank you for the help though, really nice to have a person to ask questions.

Matthew
Gumboots
CEO

I haven't used Steam myself, but I do recall people mentioning that Steam refuses to let you do a lot of things that a CD installation will let you do. Custom folders and custom assets seem to be a problem. Steam wants to revert everything to Steam defaults. It's really only set up to allow you to play with what Steam gives you directly. If you want to get creative, you really should get a CD. They're cheap these days. :)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Gumboots wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:58 pm If you want to get creative, you really should get a CD. They're cheap these days. :)
Couldn't agree more! !!clap!!
@Matthew - I don't know much about TrainMaster - I dropped out of this for quite a long while and that was when TM was created so it's really new to me too. Glad to be of some help, though, and it's always nice to chat!
matthew s
Hobo

:-(
Gumboots wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:58 pm I haven't used Steam myself, but I do recall people mentioning that Steam refuses to let you do a lot of things that a CD installation will let you do. Custom folders and custom assets seem to be a problem. Steam wants to revert everything to Steam defaults. It's really only set up to allow you to play with what Steam gives you directly. If you want to get creative, you really should get a CD. They're cheap these days. :)
I don't even have a CD drive on my current computer! :-(
Gumboots
CEO

There is a "no CD patch", which allows you to play RT3 without the disc once the game is installed (it's how I run the game on my PC). The catch is that first you have to install from a CD. Can you borrow a CD drive from a friend for 10 minutes?
RulerofRails
CEO

You can also just copy the entire game folder out of the steam folder and then paste in the no CD patch. Although it's better to buy from GoG: then you will have a DRM free exe completely above board. Although, GoG did do something to exe which makes using dgVoodoo just slightly more complicated, works A-ok, just an extra step. :)

Trainmaster is a separate thing from 1.06. For either one, make a copy of a clean 1.05 install and then follow the install instructions. But, I would recommend to start with a 1.05 maps, there's plenty of good quality ones to be found in the archive.