Close announcement>
If you need to contact an administrator about account activation (or resurrection)
the email address is: admin @ hawkdawg . com (remove the four blank spaces).

Some newbie questions

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
bonan
Hobo

Some newbie questions

Unread post by bonan »

Hello!
This is my very first post here. I have used RRT3 for some time now, and I am interested in building my own maps. However, the editor seems quite complicated. When I launch the editor, and choose "New Map", i get 2 options. Start from scratch, or use a hightmap. I would like to use a heightmap, but i have no idea about how to do this. I couldn´t find anything about the editor in the readme. Maybe there is some tutorial aviable on the internet? Then I have another question. I want my map to be about 450x200 km, but I have no idea about how big it should be in RRT3. Help please! :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Some newbie questions

Unread post by Hawk »

First of all - (*!!wel aboard! :salute:

I'm sure others will be most happy to jump in here with more particular help, but to start with, maybe you should check out this page on the Hawk & Badger site: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm

There's a lot of tutorials available and I believe one or two might help out a little.

One question: Did you install RT3 from a cd? The reason I ask is because some of the earlier releases of RT3 on cd included a program called Map Builder.
If you don't have that on your cd, or if you bought it from Steam, you can find the Map Builder available on the same page as above. It's a very basic DEM data type of utility.
There's a pretty good bit to learn to build a map. Getting the map in the editor is the first thing. That's where Map Builder comes in handy.
For a more detailed and advanced map you need to use a program called MicroDem. But for starters I think the Map Builder would be best to learn on.
Hawk
bonan
Hobo

Unread post by bonan »

Thank you! No, I don´t have the program on my cd. Thanks for your help anyway! :-D
OilCan
Engineer

Unread post by OilCan »

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to the joyful misery of map making.

I have attached a little guide on how to make heightmaps for the RT3 map editor. It is part of a larger guide I've put together on how to make maps from start to finish. It is almost ready to be released - I'm still polishing on it.

Hope this little guide helps. Keep asking questions!
Attachments
How To Create A HeightMap.pdf
(582.21 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
bonan
Hobo

Unread post by bonan »

Thank you very much! I´m looking forward to see the complete guide! :-D
bonan
Hobo

Unread post by bonan »

I have a problem with the RT3 Map Builder. When i choose an area to make a heightmap, and click "Create Map", i just get a error message saying "Error - Unable to open file w020n90.REM". Then the program closes. Why does I get this message? !hairpull!
OilCan
Engineer

Unread post by OilCan »

It is a file needed by MapBuilder. It must be in the same folder as MapBuilder as shown below. If you still have problems, send a screen shot of your mapbuilder folder.
Attachments
MB_folder.JPG
bonan
Hobo

Unread post by bonan »

The file is in the mapbuilder folder. Here is a screenshot: :-)
Attachments
RT3_mb.JPG
OilCan
Engineer

Unread post by OilCan »

You've gone past my short list of ways to fix it. I guess we need to start with the basics and find out what kind of operating system you have, what graphics card and that sort of thing.
bonan
Hobo

Unread post by bonan »

Windows XP Home Edition
RT3 V1.05
NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS
3 GB RAM
2.4 GHz

Anythin more you would like to know? :-)
nedfumpkin
CEO

Unread post by nedfumpkin »

Try renaming your folders to .../Railroad Tycoon 3/MapBuilder/

When I installed map builder is wanted everything in specific folders, so chances are it is looking for the files in the above folder. This might solve your problem.