Remove existing Cargo?

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Remove existing Cargo? Unread post

Hi all. I've been away for a long time, and with the "Stay-at-Home"/Work-from-Home conditions in Michigan, I'm finding I have a lot of time to devote to things other than work. The semester is over and my workload has decreased dramatically, so I've returned to the only video game I play. I've been working on a previously posted map (European Tycoon II-beta), which was translated from Italian (EuropaTycoon 10) by Oilcan back in 2009. It's way overblown with buildings, owing to it apparently having been saved from an already initiated game. Looks like the original was started in 1867 as a regular game and then edited to have a starting date of 1885. When loaded into the Editor, there are lot's of buildings already on the map. Anyway, I've bulldozed all the buildings, houses, industries, etc., just left the city markers, and then re-saved under a new name. When I bring up the newly-saved map in the Editor, all the cargo that had accumulated from the previous game is still there. I want to start with a blank map (i.e. remove the existing cargo) so it doesn't show up when I start a new scenario with the edited map and interfere with the initial seeding of the map.

Is there any way to easily remove the existing cargo? It can't be bulldozed, and there's a ton of it around because of the over-population of the original map with primary resources and industries.

I'm hoping to get caught up on Forum topics over the next few weeks and look forward to participating a bit more in the future.

Hats-off to Hawk and crew for keeping this going. !$th_u$! (0!!0) !**yaaa !!clap!! :salute:
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Remove existing Cargo? Unread post

It's probably possible by editing the .gmp hex, but offhand I don't know how to do it.

We did manage to track down how to edit out records of stations that had been built in the editor during testing and then bulldozed, so that you didn't get "xxxxx Junction" etc when placing one during gameplay. That wasn't particularly difficult, although it could be a bit tedious if you had a lot of cities and test stations.

For cargoes I imagine it would be a fair bit more complicated. The number of cargoes wouldn't be any greater than a normal number of cities, but the distribution of all the loads is going to require a lot of data. I would think each cargo would have its own section in the .gmp, with all loads registered there, so hypothetically you might be able to just delete those bytes and see what happens.

I've never looked for them, but searching via cargo name would probably turn up something.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:19 am Hi all. I've been away for a long time...

Hats-off to Hawk and crew for keeping this going. !$th_u$! (0!!0) !**yaaa !!clap!! :salute:
It's good to see you again Wolvy. :salute:

Since you have been away for a while I'm guessing you didn't know that I've turned the whole shebang over to Gumboots. He's now the proud owner of this domain and website since late last year.
Hats off to him for keeping things going. !!howdy!!
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's all good fun. :)

Had an idea about this cargo thing. It probably makes sense to do the old "reduce the variables" trick for testing. Make a really simple map, with only a few cities on a flat tile. Give it the minimum number of events to allow it to be saved as a .gmp (I think win and lose would be adequate). Add a couple of cargoes. Drop some cargo-producing buildings around and about. Save it as .gmp.

Then leave it open in the editor and run it on high speed for however many years. Save that as another .gmp. Search for cargo names in the hex of both maps, and see where the differences are. Then you can try some deletions on the second map, save it as a third map, and see if it works.

It might end up being more trouble than any sane person wants to know about, or it might end up being pretty easy.

The easiest cargo producers to use would probably be something like grain farms. Self-seeded breweries and bakeries will give a demand, so the economy should work.
RulerofRails
CEO

Hi Wolverine, glad to see you back. :salute:

Cargo rots over time. You can set the main density/growth switches to 0%, then run the game at high speed for many years and eventually everything will disappear. I have done it before. I forget if I ran it in editor mode or normal mode. I think I switched out of the editor into normal. After everything disappeared I saved it after going back in the editor, and restoring the density/growth options. Tedious, but probably easier than hacking the file.
Gumboots
CEO

That's a good dodge. You could just leave it running and go do something else for a while.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I did that, except it keeps stopping in January of each year so I have to sit there and restart it. Isn't there a way (hack) to turn off the automatic pause at the Dec -> Jan turnover? I think I remember when one of the versions came out it didn't stop and there was a simple hex edit to get it to stop.
Gumboots
CEO

You could try: Settings > Disable annual ledger
RulerofRails
CEO

Maybe is not worth a post, but it's in the Dialogs section. You can turn off economy change and new locomotive as well.
Sugus
Engineer

IMO the automatic pause at the Dec -> Jan turnover was an improvement based on patch 1.06. I don't know any way to avoid that.
There's no business like RT business ...
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Hi Wolverine! Good to see you back - I've just come back myself in the last couple of weeks. Funnily enough I'm also working on a Europe map. Started of with Christoph Meinel's but it didn't suit, then I followed Oilcan's wonderfully detailed instructions to make a new map:viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3708
Either way it's a lot of hours - but we all have lots of hours just now !!!!!