Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 1-Using Map Builder

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
Pepe
Hobo

Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 1-Using Map Builder Unread post

So, this is part 1 of the tutorial about creating a scenario. I'm a noob at this but these are my techniques. I hope they're great! So on with the show!

Creating a scenario isn't all fun & games. Or, at least, not until you're done. Make sure to take your time, you will always make minor tweaks after you play-test it. Also make sure you do frequent saves, otherwise you'll lose your data! *SAVEGAME* is what I will put when you should save. The tools you will need are: Railroad Tycoon 3 and MapBuilder, available to download.
To begin, go to the MapBuilder and this is what you'll see
MapBuilder1.jpg
Shown in the aqua-colored circle is the portion I have chosen. This is what I call an "interesting section" It has mountains, valleys, and even some ocean. But notice in the Red circle how big it is! This is way too big!
MapBuilder2.jpg
To make the map smaller, use the Resolution button, shown in the Red circle. In the other circle, you can see the difference in size. For the purpose of speed, I've made the map really small. Now chick the "Create Map" button. Your map will be saved as whatever you type in the name as. This automatically does our fabulous step for *SAVEGAME*
To be continued...
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Logales
Watchman

Re: Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 1-Using Map Bui Unread post

Sorry to bother, but I can't find the link to MapBuilder ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you have the original cd's (2), the Mapbuilder is on disc 2. It just needs installing.

Otherwise - http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm About half way down the page.
Hawk
Logales
Watchman

Ha ok, this mapbuilder ^^

Thanks Hawk for pointing out the obvious :)
Pepe
Hobo

Oh! Sorry I forgt to point that out! But I'm glad you enjoined this. Part two will be here by 9:00CST
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Pepe
Hobo

Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 2-Loading your Map Unread post

I'm back with part 2: How to load your map. This is very easy to do, so this is a short lesson

So we left off at our last *SAVEGAME* point. Now we have a .tga file created by MapBuilder. Here's How to load it:
Start at the main menu
Click "Extras"
Click "Editor"
Click "New Map"
You will have 2 choices. Normally, I would click "From Scratch" and do that shindig. Instead click "From Heightmap"
Loading Map 1.jpg
A Menu will pop up. Whatever you saved the file as in MapBuilder will be the one you pick (Example: I had Tutorial Map.tga) This will always be a .tga file because it's a height map.
Loading Map 2.jpg
Now three questions will be asked. First if you would like to change the heights. I would use 0.7 for this and for the mountain top modifier. 1 for smoothing.
Here is our final product!
Loading Map 3.jpg
Ok, not as cool as we'd hoped, but with a few basic clicks it'll look amazing.
Right now do a *SAVEGAME* Save it as whatever you want.
To be continued...
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I stickied this so it will stay at the top of the thread list.
Hawk
Pepe
Hobo

Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 3.1-Main Waters Unread post

We left off at just loading out map into a scenario. The first thing I do after loading is look at my water situation. We have an ocean in the lower corner, so I decided to have a river flowing into the ocean, a very normal thing, coming from a lake that disappears off screen.

Start very gently, changing brush sizes as you move along to make the river wider and smaller for good eye-candy.
Water1.jpg
Keep going further and further, making a curve or a bend in the water every 5-20 squares. Here is the final river.
Water 2.png
Now, for the lake. I use a medium sized brush, and make it just about lower than the land itself making it look more realistic. Be sure to make indentations and bulges in the shoreline.
Water 3.jpg
As you can see, the waves make this lake look pretty bad because it's small on the map. Waves only show after the lake gets to a certain size.
There are two ways to fix this:
1. Use the wave tool.
Water 5.jpg
2. Keep your lakes small (No Fun!).
Now for the river's terrain. Most rivers wear away the ground below them. This is called Erosion. ( !!howdy!! That's your daily vocabulary word!) These rivers leave a bank behind them. A good example is the grand canyon. Canals are lower than the ground next to them too. Use the Lower Land tool with a medium-big brush, making [Shift]-Clicks to make a greater effect. This creates a riverbank on both sides.
Water 7.jpg
*SAVEGAME* here to be sure that you have a copy to go back to if you make a quick, accidental drag.
End of Section 1 of 2.
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Pepe
Hobo

Hawk wrote:I stickied this so it will stay at the top of the thread list.
Thanks so much hawk! I'll be sure to make this a great post for the top of the forum then! :salute:
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Pepe
Hobo

Re: Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 3.2-Main Waters Unread post

We left off with a save right after our riverbank.
Now, go to this camera angle, looking straight down your river.
Water8.jpg
When you see this, press [Shift]and [1] together to make this a camera angle.
Use the smooth tool (the one with the steamroller) to make the bank a little less rough and a little more like the water wore it out. You may change views if you like. After you're done, hit [1] to return to your original camera angle, and look down your bank once more.
Water9.jpg
See how it looks better? Use this smooth tool to your advantage!
*SAVEGAME* now to make sure nothing changes when your computer dies, like mine is now. !*th_up*!
Here's our final product after this lesson.
Water 11.jpg
To Be Continued...
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Pepe
Hobo

Re: Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 4-Mountain Runo Unread post

We left off with our river, lake, and ocean. Now it's time for the next set of water: Mountain Runoffs. These can be very tricky to handle because of the crazy height changes that can occur. Here is a decent runoff.
Exampleofmountainflow.jpg
It follows my 3 basic runoff rules:
1. Follow the "flow of the land"
2. Runoff's start should be just a little bit off the summit, not directly on top.
3. *SAVEGAME* after every river is created
A tip to hide rough patches where it looks like the water breaks is to place size 1 mist, 1 to 3 pieces, and maybe some rocks for eye-candy.
MistHiding1.jpg
Mist also looks really cool, so if you are willing, use often. (0!!0)
Misthiding2.jpg
Now for how to hide river ends. There are three ways to go about this.
One is to have them empty into a lake or other waters. Another is to allow them to fly off the edge of the map.
offdedge.jpg
The last way is to just let them end, many rivers do this. You can see everything we've done so far in this photo.
offdedge.jpg
*SAVEGAME* here to make sure your data is backed up.
To be continued...
Attachments
final.jpg
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Pepe
Hobo

Re: Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 5-Labels Unread post

Now for the fun part. Labels! A label is the yellow test that looks like, but isn't a city. Labels should be put near important features of the map. Oceans, Important Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, and Geographical features are normal things to be labeled. Here are where we will put the labels.
Labels Where.jpg
Point 1 is our Ocean. Point 2 is the river with the bed we made. Point 3 is the off-screen lake. Point 4 and 7 are Improtant rivers. Point 6 is the mountain range. Point 5 is our waterfalls with the awesome mist I put down.
Naming is very important. Come up with some funny names. Look at stuff around you. For example "Loyolzest" Is Loyola and Zest. You may also use funny state names, like Delaware and Idaho. No offense to people in those states. When naming, if there's going to be a city near the feature, name the feature after the city. Here are the labels that I put down.
There they are.jpg
Excellent. Now *SAVEGAME* Looking good! Coming together as a map eh?
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Zeffern
Cat

Re: Fictional Scenario-Writing Tutorial:Part 1-Using Map Builder Unread post

Keep it coming Pepe much appreciated.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You do realize that this thread is 2 years old, don't you?
Pepe hasn't even logged into the forums since shortly after making these posts 2 years ago.
Hawk
Zeffern
Cat

OH crap I saw March 8th and did not look any further.

Can you advise any good threads or reading on the topic of writing scenarios?

Thanks
Blackhawk
CEO

One place you may want to start with are the notes Oilcan put together under the title of 'Guide to Writing RT3 Events' on some basics of making a map: They are available at the top of this page: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm
Pepe
Hobo

Hey there, folks!

Sorry for the delay, I got into some serious crapola and had some work to do. It's been 3 years, but I'm coming back to RT3. Sadly, I've lost this map. If anyone needs some help with scenarios, let me know! Again, I apologize for the delay.
Joe"Pepe"Wrona
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It happens to all of us at some point in life. :mrgreen:
Hawk