Ledger formatting for territory/player variables

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
RulerofRails
CEO

Ledger formatting for territory/player variables Unread post

Extra formatting options.jpg
It's been reported that these options don't show up for Player Variables and Territory Variables. Increasing the relative value of Game and Company variables (above being more suited to work with multiple entities of the same especially two territories).

But I just noticed that this option actually does show up for Territory Variable 3 and Territory Variable 4. Which led me to test if this formatting code would work with TV1 and TV2 when the suffixes are entered manually outside the game. Sure enough it does. For Player Variables also.

Here's a list of all options for TV1.

Code: Select all

[Territory Variable 1~~Yes/No]
[Territory Variable 1~~Money]
[Territory Variable 1~~True/False]
[Territory Variable 1~~Connected/Unconnected]
[Territory Variable 1~~Complete/Incomplete]

Instructions:
You can't add the suffixes in the game. Either make-up the text outside the game then paste it in with Ctrl+V. Warning: Ctrl+V will replace all your current event text.

Or
Click in the box to edit text of an existing event, then hit Ctrl+C. Then manually add the suffixes in a text editor. (I use Notepad++, but basic Notepad will work just as well.) Be careful not to add extra spaces or omit the closing bracket.

When you get it right put it back in the game with Ctr+V. Remember that this will overwrite existing event text. Check for mistakes by making sure that all variables are still dynamic (colored green).

Here's a list of the suffixes that you can copy to use:

Code: Select all

~~Yes/No
~~Money
~~True/False
~~Connected/Unconnected
~~Complete/Incomplete

Remember that the logic behind this formatting is
Variable = 0 displays as No/False/Unconnected/Incomplete
All other values (including negative :shock:) display as Yes/True/Connected/Complete
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Ledger formatting for territory/player variables Unread post

Cool. Handy to know.* But it does lead to an obvious question.
If you add these suffixes manually, will they actually function correctly during gameplay?
Or is this another area where RT3 coding is missing a few bits?

*With what we know now, including caveats about various bugs and non-functional pieces of code, it's almost getting to the stage where another edition of the RT3 guide would be worth making.
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:39 pm Cool. Handy to know.* But it does lead to an obvious question.
If you add these suffixes manually, will they actually function correctly during gameplay?
Or is this another area where RT3 coding is missing a few bits?
The main reason to use these is in the ledger. For SCBC I am running out of what I had considered "good" variables for this. It's also quite wasteful to use variables just once in the entire year (I''m using to get a EoY ledger to not display YTD figures as 0). What I ended up doing was using ALL AI CV1s and CV2s, with the assumption that at least one of the AI companies would still be in existence when building the tunnel. :lol: I might still switch to using a territory variable, not sure yet. If I had known this beforehand I would have planned to use one from the start.

Because of usage in the ledger I think it's going to be pretty obvious if something goes wrong with them. I had assumed that Territory/Player Variable formatting was not supported. But when I saw that TV3 and TV4 do have the formatting options, I went aha wouldn't it be rather odd if that was a limitation instead of an overlook to activate the dialog when entering these values.

*With what we know now, including caveats about various bugs and non-functional pieces of code, it's almost getting to the stage where another edition of the RT3 guide would be worth making.
I don't think there is a manual that explains how to build good events in this game. Oilcan wrote some information out IIRC, but I felt it's more like a reference than something that is going to help a beginner do it for themselves. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't look at it for ages.

What are you thinking? I feel always like there is too much information to present without a wall of text. Maybe hyperlinks for more specific detail while still keeping the basic version readable?
Gumboots
CEO

Not sure what I'm thinking yet. I just know there is all sorts of stuff we have figured out fairly recently scattered all over the place. :-D