Temp offset event

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
zzc
Watchman

Temp offset event Unread post

Do temp offset event effects still apply to the map after win/lose?
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Temp offset event Unread post

The events you are referring to are generated as a game progress. Every time something is set temporarily, the game auto-generates such an event to unwind the effect. This is where temporary effects go wrong. These temp offset events don't remember any unique info, they only apply to ALL. For example you temporarily increase track cost in one territory, the unwind event will decrease costs in ALL territories. You can see how this is a problem especially if it happens multiple times, the cost everywhere else will just get lower and lower each time.

TBH, I'm not really sure. The majority of times, events wont fire after a win/lose. Are those an exception? You will just have to try and see.

I remember once that the default Italy map fired some events after the medal, so there might be some unknown factor involved. But there are no obvious clues I am aware of. The simple solution: take a savegame before the medal. If you want to keep playing, just load that and disable all win/lose events (could just delete them all).
Gumboots
CEO

Regarding the "unwind everywhere even when you don't want it to" bug: what I've done on the latest NSW/Blue Mountains RC is to use player variables where I wanted some temporary events. Since there is only one player in the scenario, altering a variable for all players is no problem, so I can have the convenience of RT3's temporary settings without any problems.

For temporary events that apply something by territory this won't work, because there are multiple territories with different things set, so I use a longhand version that basically codes my own set and unset by specific territory for the temporary stuff.

This is the general way of handling this stuff in RT3. If it doesn't matter that a temporary event unset will apply to all companies, players or territories then you can use the built-in temporary time settings without problems. If you need to restrict the unset to one company, player or territory you need to set the change permanently, then write another event that will tick down the clock and do the unset when time runs out. !*th_up*!

If you want to unset the temporary events, or even any permanent events, just before a medal fires it's easy to write an event that will do the job. This is sometimes done in restricted track scenarios, so that you can keep playing after the medal fires. You add a duplicate medal event just before the existing one, and instead of having the effect of firing the medal it handles whatever last second changes you want to make (like +10,000 track or reset production to default, etc).

Note that I did try using the one medal event to handle both the medal and any desired resets, but it didn't seem to work correctly even when the effects were listed in the right order. However, if you make two separate events it always works perfectly.
RulerofRails
CEO

Temporary variable setting works a bit differently to game effects. You can ignore some of the problems with the reset. There are no IN-GAME effects tied directly to the variables (only if you code them as such).

Even if you have multiple players, if you limit any usage to one player ("on screen" test is ez way for this in almost all SP games), you can just IGNORE any side-effects that may be caused to the variables of other players (the AI). You can do this for Company and Territory variables as well. It depends if 16 variables are enough for what you need or not.

Going with similiar logic for manual resetting, if we reserve Territory Variable #4 in each territory for "counting" we can set up a SINGLE count down event (monthly). Testing against all territories, If TV4 >0 then -1. All unwind events can test for TV4 = 1 (in specific territory). If order is done right (put counter after unwinds but before setup events), just put number of months desired into any TV4.

Of course, there are often many ways to do setups and use the variables. As long as you manage to close any logic holes and side-step the bugs. You are good to go. :salute:
zzc
Watchman

I tried deleting all the offset events and the modifiers are still unchanged. So this map is having awfully low raw material cargo prices[after the drounght, strike events], along with everything else - dairy farms in a city, next to many houses, are actually running at loss ^**lylgh
RulerofRails
CEO

Which map are you playing?

I didn't mean that you should delete the temporary events, that will do no good. The temp events need to fire, if you get rid of them the modifiers will remain in effect permanently. I was talking about deleting the medal/loss events BEFORE the normal end of the scenario.

If you played on already, you may be out of luck. If you try a test event does it fire at all? If no event is firing you can't return the modifiers to normal. If a test event will fire, make a new event and set effects to reverse the modifiers. For example, if production is -30%, you want to put +30%.
zzc
Watchman

Its the europe tycoon map. Very simple to play.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2272