0-4-0 "Dorchester"

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
nedfumpkin
CEO

0-4-0 "Dorchester" Unread post

New locomotive...Hawk, I uploaded the zip file, so after you post it, feel free to replace it below with a link.

The Dorchester 0-4-0 lcomotive is representational of the earliest locomotives to be used in North America, and England.

While working on the first two campaign scenarios for Trainmaster, I became quite bothered that there was no other early locomotive besides the Planet 2-2-0. The first locomotive in the US was the Stourbridge Lion (1829), and the first in Canada was the Dorchester (1836). So too was the Pride of Newcastle, built in 1828 for the D&H (but arrived after the Lion). All built by Stephenson. Baldwin later began building 0-4-0s as well.

While not especially suited for the poorer quality track, and the tighter curves which made them prone to derailment, the 0-4-0s continued in service well into the 1860s as switchers. Some were later put to use powering stationary objects such as pumps, etc.

While not an exact replica of the Dorchester, this locomotive offers an alternative, and a complement to the Planet 2-2-0. Despite that the actual Dorchester was built in 1836, the Dorchester 0-4-0 locomotive is available from 1830 alongside the Planet.

I've made sme minor changes to the Planet so that it fits better with the Dorchester, and these changes are optional, so if you don't want the Planet to change, don't install the files. The main change is that the top speed is increased to 29 mph, which is the top speed it was able to reach, and the price of maintenance is reduced to $5000. I've also made it available until 1850 in case you want to use it as a switcher after newer and faster locomotives are around.

The Dorchester has a top speed of 26 mph, and is better at grade climbing. It also has a faster acceleration. It is available until 1859. Same prices as the Planet.

Photos and screen caps are included, including the loco specs for the Planet and the Dorchester for comparison.
Attachments
Dorchester3.jpg
Dorchester2.jpg
Dorchester2.jpg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 10232 times
Dorchester.jpg
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: 0-4-0 "Dorchester" Unread post

This is now available in the Xtras section on the New Engines page.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

But its a locomotive. Should be with the engines don't you think?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Oops! :oops:
What was I thinking? ^**lylgh

I'll get that corrected ASAP.

Edit 1: All fixed. :mrgreen:
Hawk
KevinL
Dispatcher

Mr. Nit-Picker here again. In the real picture and the stamp, there is the smokestack in the front, a small bump, and then a smaller thin cylinder.

In your creation, there is the smokestack, then the small thin cylinder, and then the small bump.

**!!!**
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
Gwizz
CEO

Interesting design of appliances.

I will guess that the dome is where the driest steam in collected. (Steam Dome)
I would guess that the long tube is a safety valve. It could be a whistle, but there is no cord showing to blow the whistle.

These appliances would work anywhere along the top of the boiler.

Good looking locomotive.
nedfumpkin
CEO

The amount of time it would have taken me to move those points on the model manually could not be justified because it would have taken too long for a locomotive that will hardly be used in game play. In the late 1820s and early 1830s, each locomotive built was slightly different from the next as design improvements were made.

This is why I state that it's a representational locomotive of the 0-4-0s of that time. It's only the Dorchester in name. Same as the Planet is but one of the Planet type locomotives to represent that class, not a specific named locomotive. Stephenson named his engines at this time.
Sabratha
Hobo

Very cool, thanks for making it.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

------------
DESCRIPTION:
------------
These files are an updated version of Nedfumpkin's Dorchester 0-4-0 for
Railroad Tycoon 3 and Trainmaster

--------
CHANGES:
--------
DDS textures corrected to prevent glowing wheels at night.

-------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO INSTALL FOR RT3 1.05 & 1.06 WITHOUT TRAINMASTER:
-------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU HAVE DORCHESTER ALREADY INSTALLED, THEN YOU
ONLY NEED TO COPY THE PK4 FILE INTO UserExtraContent
AND ALLOW IT TO REPLACE THE EXISTING COPY.

NEVER BEFORE INSTALLED
----------------------
DORCHESTER LOCO.CAR
DORCHESTER TENDER.CAR
DORCHESTER.LCO

are moved to the Data\EngineTypes folder of your Railroad Tycoon 3
installation directory

DORCHESTER.PK4

is moved to the RT3 Data\UserExtraContent folder of your Railroad
Tycoon 3 installation directory

---------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO UNINSTALL FOR RT3 1.05 & 1.06 WITHOUT Trainmaster:
---------------------------------------------------------
Remove

DORCHESTER LOCO.CAR
DORCHESTER TENDER.CAR
DORCHESTER.LCO

from the Data\EngineTypes folder of your Railroad Tycoon 3 installation
directory

Remove

DORCHESTER.PK4

from the Data\UserExtraContent folder of your Railroad Tycoon 3
installation directory

-------------------------------
HOW TO INSTALL FOR TRAINMASTER:
-------------------------------
Move or copy the 13 DDS files in the TRAINMASTER folder of this ZIP file
to the DATA\USEREXTRACONTENT folder of your Trainmaster installation.

DO NOT COPY ANYTHING ELSE! Using any of the files for 1.05/1.06 may
cause your installation of Trainmaster to become unstable.

---------------------------------
HOW TO UNINSTALL FOR TRAINMASTER:
---------------------------------
Remove

DorchesterL_A.DDS
DorchesterL_B.DDS
DorchesterL_C.DDS
DorchesterL_D.DDS
DorchesterL_E.DDS
DorchesterL_F.DDS
DorchesterL_G.DDS
DorchesterT_A.DDS
DorchesterT_B.DDS
DorchesterT_C.DDS
DorchesterT_D.DDS
DorchesterT_E.DDS
DorchesterT_F.DDS

from the DATA\USEREXTRACONTENT folder of your Trainmaster installation directory.

Edit by Hawk: Zip removed from this post. Now available in the archives.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This is now available in the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/NewEngines.htm#ned
Hawk
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Thankee kindly, Mr. Hawk Big Dawg, Sir.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Did you get me email?
Hawk
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

I did, Sir. I wasn't sure if a remark here would be appropriate, so I meant to reply via email. Doing that now.
mukpile123
Hobo

I always enjoy adding more 19th century locomotives to my games, especially the pioneering types. I love the little Dorchester, as it really provides some variety when playing on pre-1840 maps, since the only stock-locomotive selection tends to be pretty meta and boring after awhile (stick with Planets until 1835, punt the Adler into a ditch, and then wait until either 1837 or 1840 so I can scrap all Planets for Norrises or Fireflies, respectfully).

The Dorchester provides the niche service of a decent hill climber when compared to it's contemporaries; heck, I've continued to use them on some my steepest routes right up until 1845, when the Baldwin and Beuth become available! This is indeed the little engine that could! !*th_up*!

However, when I downloaded the updated files for the Dorchester, something else was changed that just threw the variety out of balance. Apparently, even though the Dorchester remained pretty much the same (save for a few cosmetic fixes), the Planet had reverted back to it's stock self, which meant it couldn't compete with Dorchester as a fast, flat-land engine. This just forces me back in a similar situation of artificial variety, as I had no real incentive to purchase a Planet over a Dorchester in any scenario. :-(

TL;DR, while the new Dorchester update fixed a lot of the cosmetic issues, it unintentionally buffed the Dorchester by reverting the Planet back to it's weaker stock self, effectively diminishing the enjoyment I receive from the variety of locomotives to choose from. If it is at all possible, could Just Crazy Jim please add the original buff for the Planet so that it can remain competitive with the Dorchester?
RulerofRails
CEO

All the parameters for a loco are in the .lco file for that loco. Exceptions are weight, intro date, and end date which are in the .car file for that loco. Every loco needs both these files to work. You can find them from the game folder by navigating to Data/EngineTypes. Most of them are named similar to the loco they represent, such as Planet Loco.lco, Planet Loco.car, Planet Tender.car.

The way that updates to loco stats work is that you will get a new set of these files which will overwrite the old ones. Because the Dorchester fix doesn't contain any files for the Planet, something odd would be happening if the Planet was affected in the way you described.

Lirio changed the stats for the Dorchester (modified .lco and .car files) in her pack. All I can deduce is that you must have been using her stats? To get what you want, old stats, but using the fixed loco model, go to into the EngineTypes folder of her pack and pick out the three Dorchester files, copy them, then paste (choosing to replace) them into the EngineTypes folder in your game.

PS. The model file has an extension .pk4 and is located in the UserExtraContent folder (can optionally be placed in PopTopExtraContent folder). This is the one that will make the difference so you have the fix, and why you don't want to simply install Lirio's pack again. :-)
Gumboots
CEO

As far as I know Jim didn't even touch any Planet files. Are you sure you didn't do something to them yourself?
mukpile123
Hobo

Sorry, I guess I didn't make my situation clear enough. What happened was that I had been using the original Dorchester and modified Planet on my old computer, which unfortunately decided to have a heart attack a couple months ago. Fortunately, I was able to find and repair a out-of-commission laptop to replace my dead desktop. I reinstalled RT3 and download some content, including the new Dorchester pack updated by Just Crazy Jim. However, this new pack only has the files for the Dorchester and doesn't modify the Planet what-so-ever, as pointed out by RulerofRails.

Also, I think the only time I've ever come across Lirio was when I recently downloaded the updated Mogul files that Gumboots had built, which contained a folder labeled with her name (I actually thought it was German for "Patch" for some reason; whoops! :roll: )

Anyways, I guess the question I was asking was, "Why were the modified Planet files left-out when Dorchester files were updated?"

EDIT:
RulerofRails wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:06 pm To get what you want, old stats, but using the fixed loco model, go to into the EngineTypes folder of her pack and pick out the three Dorchester files, copy them, then paste (choosing to replace) them into the EngineTypes folder in your game.
Ok, I just downloaded the Lirio's "RT3 v1.06 Loco Update Beta 1.zip", but I can't seem to extract any of her files. Oh well.
Gumboots
CEO

Can you remember where your old modified Planet files came from?
mukpile123
Hobo

I just downloaded 7-Zip and was able to extract Lirio's Loco Update Beta files! :-D

And when I opened up the "Read Me", I finally found the answer to my question: the modified Planet files were in her update patch! ::!**!

Still, I wonder why Just Crazy Jim didn't mention where the modified Planet files could be found in his "Fixed Read Me" file? Oh well, I'm glad I've found it and I can't wait to try it out! :-)

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction guys. !*th_up*!

BTW, to answer your question, Gumboots, when I got my old modified Planet files when I downloaded the old Dorchester, before it got patched.