Tomix's Rollingstock

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Tomix
Brakeman

Re: Tomix's Rollingstock Unread post

True, the texture on this one is much better than the RT3 one though.
Tomix
Brakeman

Tried to replace the .car and .lco files, and this is the error I get.

Here are all three of the files:

Gumboots
CEO

No, leave the .lco file alone. Just change the hex in the .car files that points to the actual images, and have that match the new image names. That should work.
Tomix
Brakeman

Alright, it reads the textures, but it still won't load the model or side profile and beauty shot.

Edit: Wait, I think i forgot to check the imb files for the profile and beauty shots. Will check those now.
Gumboots
CEO

Profile and beauty shot are handled in the .imb files.

Not sure what you mean about "won't load the model".
Tomix
Brakeman

It doesn't load the replacement models I give it in the PK4. All of them have been renamed to follow the engine name in the .car file.
Gumboots
CEO

Oh I get it. The bogies and such that were changed wont load. Forgot about those. That's going to be a problem then. Might have to have those loose.
Tomix
Brakeman

I'm curious why they won't load though. Custom engines load their bogeys, but not this one. Is it because it's a default model?
Gumboots
CEO

Yep. It's still calling the same file names, and has to because of the loco name, so the default PK4 in the 3D directory is overriding the custom one.
Tomix
Brakeman

Got it to work. Turns out I had a few different versions of my PK4 in the PopTopExtaContent folder by accident, which was causing the models not to load. Now to fix the beauty shot not appearing and she will be ready for release!
Gumboots
CEO

^**lylgh Yeah that would do it.
Tomix
Brakeman

While we are fixing engines, It's always bothered me that the side-rods on the Pacific were inside the wheels. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much work to move them out right Gumboots?

Ugh, now the wheels and the beauty shot don't work again. I think I'll leave them loose since I'm tired of fiddling around with them.
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah go with whatever works. !*th_up*!

The thing with the Pacific is something I hadn't noticed, but it's common to several locos and I bet I know what's causing it. From the "Reskinning for beginners" thread:
What I've discovered since writing this post is that the defining points for connecting rod attachment to the drivewheel, and coupling bar attachment to the drivewheel, and the offset of the rotation centre for all wheels (drivewheel, coupled, bogies whatever) should all have the same X axis value. This sorts the drivetrain geometry perfectly. To get the connecting rod and coupling bar visually outside the wheels, the points for their graphics are offset relative to the attachment points.

If the attachment point of the coupling bar is set further out than the rotation centre of the drivewheel this will throw things out of whack. No matter how much you try to offset the coupling bar it will still look like it's stuffed through the drivewheels from some angles, even though the points that define its graphics are well outside the wheels. As soon as you put the attachment point at the same X axis value as the rotation centre of the drivewheel, suddenly the coupling bar graphics pop outside the wheels to the spot where you want them. !*th_up*!
I'll take a look at it. Should be an easy fix.

PS: Just took a quick look. Yup. The X axis values are all mixed up. I'll see if I can fix it tonight.

PPS: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3652 << Basic fixes (0!!0)
Tomix
Brakeman

So I think I'm going to continue my Thomas rollingstock, but before I do that, I need to create a better looking Black 5. Instead of using the existing Black 5 loco, I think I will use the Pacific and hook up the Mallard tender.

Doesn't look too bad I think.
Gumboots
CEO

Doesn't look anything like a Black 5 though.
Tomix
Brakeman

Unless I use the Atlantic model, I can't think of any other engine besides the Pacific.
Gumboots
CEO

If you can be bothered waiting that long, I was going to do a total rebuild of the 1.06 Black 5 anyway. Depends how fast you want it.

If you are planning on tweaking the loco model itself at all, I can tell you that the Atlantic is much, much easier to work with than the Pacific. If you're not going to change the loco model, it probably doesn't matter much. The existing pig-dog mutant "Black 5" is based on the Atlantic.
Last edited by Gumboots on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomix
Brakeman

Oh, I don't mind waiting at all. I'll continue with another locomotive then. !*th_up*!
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:If you can be bothered waiting that long, I was going to do a total rebuild of the 1.06 Black 5 anyway. Depends how fast you want it.

If you are planning on tweaking the loco model itself at all, I can tell you that the Atlantic is much, much easier to work with than the Pacific. If you're not going to change the loco nmodel, it probably doesn't matter much. The existing pig-dog mutant "Black 5" is based on the Atlantic.
Pig-dog mutant could describe that vast majority of 1.06 Loco's.
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah tell me about it. They make my eyes burn. That's what got me started on wanting to fix them. :mrgreen: