FIXED: minor Big Boy bugz (files attached)

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

FIXED: minor Big Boy bugz (files attached) Unread post

Anyone feel like having a crack at a little bit of loco modding? Nice and easy and not at all scary, or not very much.

The Big Boy has the gfx for the front valve gear attached to the loco body instead of being attached to the front truck. That means it does odd-looking things around corners, and it doesn't really need to. The Challenger (which is basically the same structure) has things set up properly, and fixing the Big Boy wouldn't be hard. It shouldn't even need any gfx remapping as such.

I could do it, but have enough to do already. If someone else wants to have a go I'm happy to give tips and a map to the files. !*th_up*!
Last edited by Gumboots on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomix
Brakeman

Re: Easy little project - for someone else: minor Big Boy bugz Unread post

Once I finish the A1 and some other reskins of mine, I'll take up the challenge. If I go to fix this, I'll also remove that number plate on the side of the loco while I'm at it.
Gumboots
CEO

No, don't remove it. It relies on that to flip the number so it's the right way around on that side. It just needs to be extended a bit if you want large numbers. !*th_up*!

You could also split the tender out to its own file if you're keen. That way the text on the tender could be right way around on both sides (you make a second side with the some of the extra space in the new file). That's not really that difficult to do either. I've done it for the Berkshire already so I know how it goes.
Last edited by Gumboots on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomix
Brakeman

Ah right, forgot about the incorrect mapping. The separate tender skin sounds interesting. I might try it if I figure all this out.
Gumboots
CEO

Hey I'm gonna fix this. Just took a look at it, and with the new tools we have available it's really easy. !*th_up*!

Edit: Done. Files attached. Unzip and drop them in PopTopExtraContent or UserExtraContent (either folder will work).

Front truck valve gear graphics are now part of the front truck, and will turn with it. Pic below. No changes required to any skinning. It was just a basic split>join>export on a few bits in the .3dp's. (0!!0)
BigBoy_Front_truck_fix.jpg
BigBoy_Front_truck_fix.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 8664 times
Gumboots
CEO

Re: FIXED: minor Big Boy bugz (files attached) Unread post

This could go in the archives. It won't break anything and does make for a better Big Boy around corners.

It's not really a re-skin, since it doesn't change the actual skin at all and will still work with custom skins. I tested it with the default PopTop skin and with Tomix's black UP skin. No problems. You can select either skin in the game and it's fine.

It's not a new loco either, since it's just a Big Boy bug fix that reassigns some existing mesh and skin to a different file. Not quite sure how it would be best classified for archiving.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I guess I could put it in the New Engines section as a fix.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, I owe you an apology. I download this and had plans to add it immediately but got sidetracked. !facepalm!

It's now in the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/NewE ... m#Gumboots

I added a read me to the zip.

I also edited posts 1 and 5 in this thread to remove the zip.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

No worries. Getting sidetracked is easy where RT3 is concerned. I do it all the time. :D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I actually got side tracked designing houses. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Fair enough. My current sidetrack is a garden to go with the house. :mrgreen:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'd like to have a place where I could start a small garden. I'm not a big fan of store bought produce and I hate canned goods.
I go to the farmers market a lot. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk wrote:I'd like to have a place where I could start a small garden. I'm not a big fan of store bought produce and I hate canned goods.
I go to the farmers market a lot. :mrgreen:
Do you have a Community Garden in your area. We have them around here and folks get a small portion of a larger garden to plant in and maintain.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Do you have a Community Garden in your area. We have them around here and folks get a small portion of a larger garden to plant in and maintain.
Not that I'm aware of, but it would be nice. I'll have to look into that and see if I can find one.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Re: minor Big Boy bugz, gardening, architecture, High Renaissance scuplture... Unread post

Those are getting to be pretty common over here too. They're a great idea.