Double and triple bauxite cars (RC1)

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Double and triple bauxite cars (RC1) Unread post

Ok, got these sorted. (0!!0)

The attached zip includes a nice neat PK4 for all three eras of bauxite car, from 1906 onwards. 1906 to 1960 cars are double units. Post-1960 cars are triple units. These all still show as normal single cars in your train list, just so they all fit. It's up to you to remember that what you see on your tracks isn't really 24 loads of bauxite.

Note that the resulting trains, particularly in the C and D eras, can be so long that the game's camera will sometimes lose a car if the end of the train is past the edge of the screen. You can see this effect in the last screenshot. The consist is actually 8 cars (shown as 24 hoppers) but only 6 of them (ie: 18 hoppers) are visible behind the locomotive. The seventh has been chopped out due to being close to the edge of the screen. What seems to happen is that if the middle of the car is past the screen's edge, the game chops that car out. This is why the last screenshot shows a gap between the last visible hopper and the screen's edge, even though there should be another hopper there. Once you're zoomed out a bit all of them are visible, but you can sometimes see some of them popping into existence at the edge of the screen. This is a minor game bug that we'll just have to live with.

Another we're stuck with (for all long RT3 models) is that trucks will turn into corners properly but will not follow lumps in the track properly. If you lay lumpy track you will be able to see the effect. The B era double cars are the most tolerant of lumpy track. The D era triples are not far behind. The C era doubles (roughly 10% longer than the D triples ) are the least tolerant. The C era doubles are about as long as you can go without behaviour over lumpy track being too bad, too often. I may make slightly shorter C era doubles later.

A readme is included in the zip, but quoted is here just to make sure:

Code: Select all

This pack uses the same skins and basic models as WP&P's bauxite hoppers.
It changes the modelling to make double hoppers for the B and C eras (pre-1960) and triple hoppers for the D era (post-1960).

In other words, pre-1960 consists will show as up to 16 bauxite cars. Post-1960 consists will appear to have up to 24 bauxite cars.
This has no effect on train performance or revenue. It is only a visual change for extra fun.
The game engine still calculates everything on the basis of standard consists of 8 cars or less. 

If you do not already have WP&P's bauxite hoppers installed, simply install all files to the right folders.
It is advisable to back up your EngineTypes and CargoTypes folders before installing the new files.

The new double and triple cars will display as soon as one of your trains loads bauxite.
Note that existing loads on the rails in a saved game will still show the old cars, until the train loads again at the next station.

If you already have WP&P's bauxite hoppers installed, don't worry about the files for the EngineTypes and CargoTypes folders.
You will already have those files, so there is no need to install them again.
You will still need the Multiple_Bauxite_Cars.PK4 for PopTopExtraContent.

You will also need to remove the old files from PopTopExtraContent or UserExtraContent, depending on which folder you put them in.
If the old files are not removed from PopTopExtraContent or UserExtraContent, this mod will not work properly.
These files will be either a PK4 named BauxiteHopper.PK4, if you have the latest packed version,
or loose files of various types (.tga, .3dp, .dds, imb) if you have the original version from before they were packed.
If you have the original loose files, remove everything that starts with HbauxB, HbauxC and HbauxD.
Give these a good flogging in a few maps and see what you think. Any feedback is welcome. !*th_up*!
That means positive or negative feedback. When I say any feedback, I mean any feedback.
If people like them I'm up for doing more multiple cars. They're pretty easy to put together.

Edit: Zip removed. These cars have been superseded by a complete pack for all cargoes, available in this post.
Last edited by Gumboots on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Double and triple bauxite cars (RC1) Unread post

So has anyone tried these out?
RulerofRails
CEO

I downloaded them earlier, but I assumed I needed WP&Ps cars and had other things going on. Now that you asked, I read the read me, and yep, should have tried anyway. I loaded them up, and they work and look good. Don't really have time to flog them though, and as you mentioned not many maps have Bauxite. Probably been 2 months since I've played a map with Bauxite on it. The bunching and stretching is noticeabe on really tight bends, but that's acceptable. To my eye, the pivots in the middle of the cars are actually tracking the curve better than the bogies on the ends! Well done. :salute:
Gumboots
CEO

Yup, the bogies in the middle of the doubles are locked together into one body file, while the bogies at each end are locked to the actual hopper. That's why the end bogies just take the same line as the hopper itself, while the middle bogies stay tangent to the curve of the track. I figure this is ok most of the time for cargo cars, since they usually have stuff in front of and behind them anyway, and a lot of curves aren't tight enough to really make the effect noticeable.

It vastly simplifies the modelling too. If I split the end bogies out to separate trucks of their own, which I have thought of doing, it gets pretty wild due to the way RT3 handles track and truck attachment points. The hopper body and the end bogie would basically be fighting over who gets the right attachment points. I may thoroughly test that idea later for locomotives, but couldn't be bothered at the moment. I did give it a quick try back when I was playing with the H10 double header, and it was looking like a very difficult thing to get working properly.

I think I'll tweak the track attachment points for the triples. I have an idea those could be made a bit better. The doubles are already fine, AFAICT, but the triples tend to bend too much around corners and could usefully be made slightly less bendy. If I move the track points towards the centre slightly, that should make things look better.

Anyway I'll have coal and iron cars sorted later in the week, so that will give a better range of maps for testing the doubles and triples. !*th_up*!
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

I gave these a spin yesterday. They track better than I thought they would! I also tripled the weight for the triple 1960+ era cars. So the engines are pulling the weight of 24 loaded bauxite hoppers! I only did a steep cog railway-like mountain test for the engines. That was on a custom map. I will not mention the results for the engines. I don't want to spoil everyones fun!

Just decided to keep them like in game also. Because like stated above, not many maps (other than Madagascar :-D ) have a ton of bauxite them. For the record Madagascar lets u also run unit trains of Rock, coal & iron!

The WP&P Iron cars need to be doubled/triple/quad anyways. To short!
Gumboots
CEO

Tripling the weight will totally trash your reliability and fuel economy. You can do it if you want to, just be warned. We've already crunched the numbers on that. ;-)

And yes, the other hoppers need doubling up too. Got plans for that, but like everything else it comes down to available time and energy (the two aren't always available simultaneously). TBH I got sidetracked with this concept of fixing the weight change scale to improve gameplay (really needs it, IMO) so that means sorting out the coding and variables for that first, before coding up more models, otherwise I'd have to go back and fix them later, which TBH isn't much fun. I can do basic hex coding, but I'm not thrilled about it as a pastime. I'd rather do them once.