1.06 Mogul deborkification und skinz (Final)

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Re: 1.06 Mogul deborkification und skinz Unread post

!!party*! Merry Christmas! !!party*!

Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller presents...

Teh magical 1.06 Mogul deborkification!

Starring: One 99.99% deborked Mogul!
BeautyShot.jpg
Zip removed temporarily.
Edit: See this post for the final version.
Last edited by Gumboots on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

A product of pure genius, sir. May your Christmas tree have beneath it large piles of cash in unmarked notes of small denomination.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Thank you. Unfortunately the tree was a bit light on bags of cash, but I do have a very good Christmas cake and sundry other goodies. (0!!0)

Anyway, here are the extra skins. They're trains. Go play with 'em. !*th_up*!
W&H_303.jpg
M&N_283.jpg
H&S_359.jpg
D&O_294.jpg
Zip removed, pending more fixes. ;-)
Edit: See this post for the final version.
Last edited by Gumboots on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Ran it in my 1.05 car testing install. Looks great. yum!!!! Better than the default Consolidation. !*th_up*!

PS.
Got the gold Kreiglsok as the beauty shot for the extra skins, but that's to be expected.
Gumboots
CEO

Yes I did mention that. Not that I expect anyone to read the details of what I posted. ^**lylgh

However :-D by looking at how Tomix did his Union Pacific skin for the Big Boy my memory was refreshed about how to do the beauty shots for skins properly. I've just got the yellow one running perfectly, so it shows the yellow Mogul if you have one of those selected, or the base brown version if you have one of those selected.

This means I can sort the rest of them out in about ten minutes, so I've removed the first skins pack and will post a fixed one soon. (0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, fixed version is up. All skins now have working beauty shots. Easy when you remember how. *!*!*!
Gumboots
CEO

Well it's good that only a couple of people have downloaded these so far. I just found out something. :mrgreen:

So I've been playing with revamping the 1.06 Ten Wheeler into B&O's #147 "Thatcher Perkins". This was trundling along well, until I thought "Well the default American 4-4-0 has crappy excuses for a steam dome and sand dome, and the default Connie has something much more like what it should have, so I'll be clever and import the Connie's steam dome and then reskin it for Perkins."

Which was a good idea. Except that when I imported the Connie's one it was huge. And Perkins has been built to scale. So ok, import the new Mogul, and stick it alongside Perkins for a look see.
Mogul_vs_Thatcher_Perkins.jpg
Umm, It's kinda big. In some directions anyway. Wheel diameter is right (I did that to scale) so wheelbase is right too. However, I didn't check every detail of the default Connie model for scale. Smokestack height is way off, and a few others things are a bit odd too (like the aforementioned steam dome). So...

*!*!*!

...I'm now thinking I should revamp the Mogul revamp, again, to bring its odd bits back into line with what all other locos will have. Which isn't a huge drama. The wheels and drivetrain are fine. The tender is fine too. It just needs the smokestack and domes and headlight reduced in scale a bit, and maybe a couple of other tweaks to get it all playing together nicely. This won't require any reskinning, so should be a pretty quick process.

So by all means play with the current skins since they won't change, but the base Mogul pack will be replaced in a day or so.

And expect a "1.06 Ten Wheeler deborkification und skinz" thread soon. (0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, have revamped the revamp.

Made a thing of it and tweaked the graphics for front truck and tender bogies, since their mapping was slightly off and was making the a bit wobbly. Had a brainwave for dealing with this. Instead of looking at the graphics, I looked at the alpha channel and used that to centre the mapping.

Anyway it's all fixed and looks more like a locomotive. New Mogul files will be sorted tonight my time. Same skins still fit. !*th_up*!
Revamping_the_revamp.jpg
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, I've removed the zip for the skins too. Reason is that due to the way the default graphics for the drivewheels and bogies were done, I couldn't get rid of the wobbly egg effect without re-doing them all. They really were very badly done.

So, I've resized and repositioned several bogie bits on the images, and re-alpha'd them to suit. The @^@%! things will actually look round now, even when rotating. Fortunately the tender bogie .3dp's didn't need to be done again. The changes to the tender image will fix the problem anyway.

I still have to redo every DDS image in the skins, for all locos and tenders, which I'll do tonight my time. I've already corrected and re-exported the .3dp files for loco bogies and drivewheels.

Short version is tonight I'll repack and test the finished version, and then throw it in an attachment. This version will be good enough for the archives. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Have done more on the Mogul. Should get it finished tonight.

Got sidetracked this morning though, and roughed out a Pennsy H3 from a Connie starting point. The H3 would be as easy to do as the Mogul, and could provide some additional freight uglies around 1890. So could have Mogul > 1865, Connie > 1875, H3 > 1890. Which would probably do until the H10 Mikado arrives in 1915.
Pennsy_H3_rough.jpg
Anyway will get back to the Mogul. ;-)
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, tis done. As in really finally done. No more changes. Looks like this...
Screenshots.jpg
Zip attached, containing base files and all skins. !*th_up*!
Edit: Zips deleted. These files have been submitted to the archives. (0!!0)
Last edited by Gumboots on Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: 1.06 Mogul deborkification und skinz (Final) Unread post

I loaded them up. Of course no problems, and I like the creativity with the beauty shots. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Yes I had some fun with those. :-D
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Very pretty beauty shots and excellent deborking, Sir Gumboots. I got distracted looking at all the skins in-game before posting a reply, so RoR beat me to the punch. :lol:
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Ay up. Just noticed that I had the wrong start year in the .car files for the 1.06 stats option.

The Lirio stats files are fine. It's only the 1.06 version that was borken. I've attached a bugfix zip to the same post as the other pack.

Better do some more testing to see if there are any more bugz. Bugz no good. No like bugz.

Edit: have done a stack more testing. Can't find any more bugz. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

I've uploaded these to the archives submission thingy, and have also made five skins for the default PopTop Consolidation while I was at it. The Mogul skins fit straight onto the Connie anyway, so I figure five Connie skins for hardly any extra work has got to be good. These have been submitted to the archives too. (0!!0)

Just for an advance peek, the Connies look like this...
Connie_Skins_by_Gumboots_screenshots.jpg
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk
mukpile123
Hobo

When I first saw your updated Mogul on the New Engines page, I was intrigued. And after I had skimmed through this thread, I was stunned by how you able to transform this half-baked, ugly-duckling Connie-clone into a gorgeous, unique high-quality locomotive. I was drooling with anticipation as I downloaded your marvelous creation and, once I had played around with it, found myself very well satisfied with your work. Bravo! :salute:

Unfortunately, something had gone awry. When I downloaded your "PennsyH3_and_friends" files so that I could test out your newest creation, the Penssy H3 -- which, BTW, is lovely locomotive to play with -- something went horribly wrong with the Mogul files. Now, instead of the sleek, distinguished engine has now been replaced with the original sloppy, lack-luster Connie-clone! !*00*! Just take a look at the attachment photos.

Thankfully, I managed to fix the problem by uninstalling all the Penssy H3 and Mogul files, then redownloading and reinstalling them again. ::!**!

Edit: Grammar.
Attachments
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (4).png
AMD 103
Watchman

Okay, stupid question time from yours truly.

Did you ever fix the Connie so it uses the properly shaped tender from the Mogul?
Gumboots
CEO

No, I didn't. Wouldn't be hard to do though. Biggest problem with it is it would make the rest of the Connie look worse. :D