Another Connie (coz we need an uglier one)

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Another Connie (coz we need an uglier one) Unread post

Not quite. The default scale is this:

Code: Select all

120 - Ultra Cool
110 - Looks Sharp
100 - Acceptable
 90 - Ugly
The new scale is this:

Code: Select all

Ultra Cool       140%        12 00 00 00     Frozen at 8 am
Very Cool        130%        11 00 00 00     Frozen at 7 am
Looks Sharp      120%        03 00 00 00     Ultra Cool
Looks Good       110%        02 00 00 00     Looks Sharp
Acceptable       100%        01 00 00 00     Acceptable
Unappealing       90%        00 00 00 00     Ugly
Ugly              80%        0C 00 00 00     Frozen at 2 am
Very Ugly         70%        0B 00 00 00     Frozen at 1 am
Gruesome          60%        0A 00 00 00     Frozen at midnight
The third column is the hex code (.lco file, bytes 55-58 inclusive). The fourth column is the default text strings associated with those hex values.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I don't think I've seen an Unappealing or Ultra Cool loco, I'll have to look again. I know the Planet is Ultra Cool by default, but Very Cool (I think) in the new system. Which locos are Ultra Cool or Unappealing? **!!!**
Gumboots
CEO

No, any loco that had an Ultra Cool rating under the default system would be Looks Sharp under the new system.

The new system uses the same hex codes as the old system, for the same pax appeal ratings (in % revenue), but with different names displayed. This was done for backwards compatibility, so that existing .lco files wouldn't cause problems. Any loco running default files will play the same as it always has in terms of pax revenue.

The new system just extends the scale to give more options for setting loco stats, and the names were changed to get a list of names that made sense with the extra options. With Ultra Cool being the old top rating, it would have been bonkers to have something like "Ultra Super Duper Coolest Eh Bro" as the new top rating, so we threw in a new name between each of the old names.

"Unappealing" uses the same hex code as the default "Ugly", so any loco that had that rating will display as Unappealing with the custom RT3.lng. I can't remember offhand which locos had that rating, but there are a few of them.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Default locos that were ugly were the Baldwin, the camel back, the 2D2, the bipolar, the Fairlie, and probably a few others. I'll have to try a sandbox again because I don't recall seeing unappealing.

I'll get a sandbox tomorrow maybe. I swear that a few locomotives were changed around.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Having played around with it, I think it was coded wrongly. I'm getting trains with Acceptable, Looks Good, Looks Sharp and Very Cool, I still haven't seen any Unappealing or Ultra Cool trains. These 4 are all next to each other though in terms of appeal and Hex Codes. Or am I being dumb? **!!!**

I'm in Sandbox now, my Planets are all Very Cool, not Looks Sharp as you claim.
Gumboots
CEO

Use this one. !*th_up*!
Attachments
RT3_lng_update.zip
(73.71 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm Use this one. !*th_up*!
I'll try it out later, glad I wasn't crazy. ^**lylgh

Okay, it works. Date modified is a month ago, guessing I was using an outdated version and this was a known issue? **!!!**
Gumboots
CEO

It's an issue I had forgotten about. The Pennsy H3 was made before we changed it, so the old file is still packed in the zip.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Ah right I see. Well in any case it works now. !*th_up*!

Also do you have a link to the thread with your Thatcher Perkins locomotive? I can't find it.
Gumboots
CEO

TheBonobo4
Brakeman

How did I not realise? I've seen that thread many times before !facepalm!

I don't have custom cargo weight revamping, is it necessary for the download? Also I see the stats for the mogul etc have been changed yet again. Do I need download the fix for the Thatcher perkins to work? I may already have it I'm not sure, there was a fix that came with the H3 so now the consolidation goes at 50 rather than the default 60 or the 45 it was reduced to.
Gumboots
CEO

You don't actually need anything. You can pretty much run what you like.

The Perkins is set up for the lighter custom express cars. I could work out stats for the default cars, but honestly I'm not into it.
If you or anyone else wants to change Perkins stats for their own use I'm totally fine with that.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm You don't actually need anything. You can pretty much run what you like.

The Perkins is set up for the lighter custom express cars. I could work out stats for the default cars, but honestly I'm not into it.
If you or anyone else wants to change Perkins stats for their own use I'm totally fine with that.
I'm not going to change it, but does this mean that the loco runs faster (because it's thinking the weights are lower than they are), or slower (because the loco was not designed for these heavier weights) than it "should" do?
Gumboots
CEO

If it is hauling default express cars, it will run slower than designed.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm If it is hauling default express cars, it will run slower than designed.
Ah right okay. And do you have the link to download the LMR Lion? Being from Manchester myself I was able to go see the actual original back in 2004 at the 175th anniversary of the rainhill trials of 1829, where they also had a replica rocket and planet. Admittedly I was only 8 at the time.
Gumboots
CEO

I haven't finished Lion yet, but I have done Samson.

http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 124#p44752
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 pm I haven't finished Lion yet, but I have done Samson.

http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 124#p44752
Oh okay. I do have Samson, it's great. !*th_up*!

Saying that, I know it is a freight loco that's good on hills, but because it has a lower top speed than even planet and because early trains are awful on hills, I can't think of many situations where it will be used unfortunately. Plus there aren't actually many scenarios based before 1850. In the base game there's Britaìn, east coast USA, go west, and South east USA.
Gumboots
CEO

It's as fast as the Planet on flat terrain, when both are hauling 4 or 5 cars of freight, and slightly cheaper to run. It's slightly faster on flat terrain if hauling longer freight consists, and you get more speed up hills. This applies even on light grades. For example, up a 2% grade with an 8 car consist it's 40% faster than the Planet.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:27 pm It's as fast as the Planet on flat terrain, when both are hauling 4 or 5 cars of freight, and slightly cheaper to run. It's slightly faster on flat terrain if hauling longer freight consists, and you get more speed up hills. This applies even on light grades. For example, up a 2% grade with an 8 car consist it's 40% faster than the Planet.
Ah right, so basically for freight Samson is better in almost all cases, but for express Planet is better, unless dealing with a steep hill, in which case Samson is faster but is offset by the fact it's Gruesome?
Gumboots
CEO

Yep.