The PCB RT3-Motive-Division.

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
AMD 103
Watchman

The PCB RT3-Motive-Division. Unread post

Well, I need some place to put my stuff, and since Gumboots doesn't want to work on diesels (No offense Gummy), I'm putting stuff in this thread.

First off, I'm going to finish repairing the Poptop GP7s and getting them ready for distribution. I did eventually figure out what secondary skin for the GP7s will be, and it's going to be Erie, sans Erie markings. It's a simple, attractive scheme, and Victorian Railways copied it for their diesels, with blue replacing black, and the VR logo replacing the Erie Diamond.

It'll work nicely in both North America and the world. Probably will change the black to a dark blue and merge the Erie Diamond with the VR cricle.
2353.1519131610.jpg
I'd like to change the sats on some of the diesels in the game to better reflect their real-life counterparts, while maintaining game balance.

Also, has it bothered anyone that the Challenger and Big boy have the wrong smoke-box fronts? It's certainly bothered me. So, with a CAD drawing of a Big Boy front to guide me, I drew a new one. Still need to add a shield for the Challenger, but it looks pretty good.
RT3_09_17_20__21_08_03.jpg
As for sats, I want the Challenger to be a heavy mixed locomotive like it is in real life (They were often used on passenger trains in the Northwest, along with freight.), and the Big Boy to be a heavy freight locomotive.

That leaves a gap for a late steam-era NA express locomotive, and I know just the engine to fill it. :-D
Gumboots
CEO

Re: The PCB RT3-Motive-Division. Unread post

Cool. :) Hey did you notice the bug fix I made for the Big Boy? By default the steam pipes, etc are fixed solid to the loco body, so don't match the front truck around tight corners. I made a fix for it so the pipes are on the front truck (same as the Challenger has by default).

Easy little project - minor Big Boy bugz

TBH it's been so long since I looked at that fix that I'm no longer sure what was in it, but if you're keen to do a bit of fixing on these critters I could probably fix the fix a bit more. :)
AMD 103
Watchman

Yep, installed it already, lives in my UserExtraContent folder like a bunch of stuff. There's some fixes I'd like to see done (Improve the valve gear a bit for a start, but I'll need to poke at the models a little more.)

My plans for the Challenger are to paint it in the greyhound scheme, to reflect its role as a passenger engine. I think it'd also complement your pre-stainless steel cars.
up3977-wessel2.jpg
Big Boy will be freight black.
Gumboots
CEO

I can do extra liveries for the pax cars pretty easily. Or if you have a copy of Photoshop and want to play with them I can get the PSD's together.
AMD 103
Watchman

Definitely have a copy of Photoshop. It's my go-to tool for my side-job as a graphic designer. (And why I ask you for PSD files.)

Victory is mine! The GP7 is in Blender 2.79. I guess it's time to find your thread and get a version of the plugin for Blender 2.8, or figure out 2.79. I'd prefer the former rather than the latter, but that's just me.

GP7.png
A friend of mine gave me a few guides to various 3D modeling programs. I'll go find them again.

Edit: Got one of Tim (Itsa Timmy) Gabel's FP45s in blender. This is one I want to make some geometry changes to, which it inherited from the original. Skin is a modded version of the default 1024 FP45 skin to fit this version, which has separate maps for both sides.
FP45.png
Edit 2: Is there any way to spin a locomotive around without needing to edit the 3dp files?
Gumboots
CEO

It's probably not hard to update the plug-in for 2.8. I just haven't bothered looking into it yet. I did figure out some handy tweaks to the initial code, without knowing any Python at all, and just winging it based on what the code looked like, so I suspect that I would be able to sort a 2.8 version if I put my mind to it. Probably should do one at some point.
AMD 103 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 pmEdit 2: Is there any way to spin a locomotive around without needing to edit the 3dp files?
Nope. If you want to end for end one as part of a double, which I assume is why you're asking, you have to spin all the .3dp's and re-save them. No other way it can be done.
AMD 103
Watchman

Gumboots wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 am It's probably not hard to update the plug-in for 2.8. I just haven't bothered looking into it yet. I did figure out some handy tweaks to the initial code, without knowing any Python at all, and just winging it based on what the code looked like, so I suspect that I would be able to sort a 2.8 version if I put my mind to it. Probably should do one at some point.
Well the devs over at blender have released 2.9! :-D Hopefully whatever plugins work with 2.8 work in 2.9.
Gumboots wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 am Nope. If you want to end for end one as part of a double, which I assume is why you're asking, you have to spin all the .3dp's and re-save them. No other way it can be done.
Go figure. Shouldn't be too hard to do in Blender using a simple 180 degree spin.
Gumboots
CEO

AMD 103 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 pmDefinitely have a copy of Photoshop. It's my go-to tool for my side-job as a graphic designer. (And why I ask you for PSD files.)
I went looking for PSD's. Managed to find stacks of them in all sorts of odd places. Now I have to figure out which ones do what. Once I figure that out I can pack up the relevant ones. !*th_up*!