New American Locomotives.

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: New American Locomotives. Unread post

It's more a case of having the tools to do the job than having experience modding RT3. As for fixing one's favourite toys, this is more about making something for the whole RT3 community, not just one person. Because basically, the Cowboy engines have been around for a while, yet, they are not a public d/l because they require some finishing touches that would take me weeks to accomplish due to the lack of appropriate tools and the necessary time it would take.
Gumboots
CEO

Mate,I told you exactly what (free) tools you needed. I told you where the code you wanted was in the relevant files, down to actual addresses. I even gave you a suggested value for one of the fixes, that would probably work perfectly well. If you can't be bothered to take that and run with it, my conclusion is that you're not really that interested in seeing these things fixed. Since I am making other things for the community, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it all.

I've done open source software support. That taught me that you don't try to do everything for everyone. It just ends up being too wearing, and nobody else learns anything. What you do is help people to help themselves. This isn't always less wearing, but the long term results are better for everyone. I had to learn this stuff myself. I had to find tools that would do the job. I've given you a good head start already.

What you want to do wouldn't take weeks at all. You're only assuming it would take weeks. Your assumption is incorrect. Trust me on this.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Please don't draw conclusions about me without actually knowing me. Do I want the 2-8-0 fixed, absolutely, is it a priority for me, not at all. The engine works well the way it is, however, it is not as visually aesthetic as I would have like it to be.

While you may think it is a matter of laziness on my part, I think having a record of about 10 years of developing stuff for RT3 kind of proves that I am not lazy. This includes about 18 months of working non-stop on Trainmaster. I made the 0-4-0 out of the 2-2-0 a long time ago, and I have made some other minor adjustments to other 3dp files, however, i found it to be a tedious and difficult task that takes ME a long time. Of all the development tasks related to RT3, modelling is at the very bottom of my list along with microdem map creations. I would much prefer to work on scenarios or skins, or anything else. Now that I can see the grpahics better. I would like to update some of my previous skins and make some new ones.

The simple fact of the matter is this: I have a job, it is very important to me because it allows me to buy food, pay for shelter, and have an internet account. It takes up about 1/3rd of my day. I also have certain medical issues, one of which is that I am half blind at the best of times, and the other being in excriciating pain 24 hours of every day. I also have a house to maintain. So really, I don't have as much disposable time as I used to. So what little time I have, I would rather spend on things that I feel can be the most contributory.

I asked you if you would be interested in fixing the 2-8-0 smokestack. You said no, now worries. If someone else wants to do it, then that would be really great. If not, then I will eventually get around to it. In the meantime, the locomotives are only available to people who d/l them from the TM discussions. When they are fixed, they will be made available to everyone who plays 1.05, 1.06, or TM.

One of the things that I will state is that for everything that was developed for TM, it was always made available to 1.06 players. There has never been the same level of reciprocity. Rather, there there has been an ample amount of arrogance from 1.06 players (not the developers), many of whom never even played TM.

The one thing about TM that you many not realize, is that it was a community project. People contributed based on their skills and abilities, and all contributions were welcomed. The one thing that I did was to facilitate and fill in gaps. I ensured continuity because the one ability I do have is the ability to outlast everyone. Since 1995 pretty much the only computer game I have played is RT games, and there is nothing to suggest that will change in the next 20 years.
Gumboots
CEO

One of the things that I will state is that for everything that was developed for TM, it was always made available to 1.06 players. There has never been the same level of reciprocity. Rather, there there has been an ample amount of arrogance from 1.06 players (not the developers), many of whom never even played TM.
I have absolutely no problem with anything I make being used in TM, if any one wants to use it in TM. I'm just making stuff to be used. If you want to nick any of it for TM, you're more than welcome to.

However, my tendency is to want to fix everything once I get interested in any particular loco. Because of this, my enthusiasm for it is limited to projects that I personally find interesting.

I would much prefer to encourage others to do their own fixing of stuff they find interesting. If that results in one or more others also getting the hang of modelling, then we're all better off. I know people are perfectly capable of doing it if they want to. I'm not superhuman or anything. If I can do it, anyone else can. It seems better to me to tell people that yes, it sure is possible for them to fix things, rather than telling them it will take forever to do even quite simple stuff, which really is not the case.

nedfumpkin wrote:Please don't draw conclusions about me without actually knowing me.
I am only basing my statements on what you have yourself posted. In your previous post you claimed that what was stopping you was that you didn't have the right tools to do the job.
nedfumpkin wrote:It's more a case of having the tools to do the job than having experience modding RT3.
I simply pointed out that I'd already told you (via PM) which tools would make the job easy, where to get them, and exactly what to do with them, which I had. Since I had been helpful with those things, I assumed you would realise that I was also prepared to be helpful with other tips if you needed them (as anyone might). I then said that if that wasn't enough to get you doing it, you weren't that interested in having these issues fixed. You have just comfirmed this by saying that fixing these issues is not a priority for you. Ok, fine. So we agree on that. You don't have to justfy it to me.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Don't get me wrong, I will be using the information you posted, and getting the tools you recommend, but that will take some time. And I really do appreciate all the work you have put into providing information about the 3dp files. I think it will benefit everyone. And yes, I agree that people should get into making mods, and the 2-8-0 would be a great beginner proeject. Perhaps someone will take it on.
openheaders
Cat

I've been known to take on projects or attempt to. The only complaint I have is when I look at all the numbers that are involved in the editing of locomotives my mind gets all clustered and i cannot think on where to begin. I planned on wanting to make a Camelback worthy of the camelback name.... a 2-6-0 of NYOW, or a LV variant.
Gumboots
CEO

It's largely a matter of getting an editor that will allow you to organise the file into meaningful chunks. It's still a fair bit of work if you want to do extensive changes, but once you can see what each group of bytes does it all starts to make more sense. Without any bookmarking, hex files are just horrible and you'll go mad trying to work with them.
Lone Cat
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:Here are the new Cowboy Engines for Trainmaster. These are just for testing and they will be included in a loco pack I am working on to add a few new engines. This has the old American renamed to Standard 4-4-0 and the new loco coming in 1870 as an American 4-4-0, which is when then mae 'Amercian' came into use.

The Consolidation II comes in 1880, and the both of them are powerful freight haulers as 50 mph and 55 mph respectively.

Both new locomotives are from the P.R.R liveries. The new American is pulling the same tender as the original Consolidation, and the new Consoldiation is pulling the same tender as the Eight Wheeler....just to mix them up a bit. :)

I thought about making changes to the 8 Wheeler, but it is based on an actual loco that ran at 112 mph in 1893. Was thinking of tweeking it to be a top speed of 90 mph (instead of 102), and drop the price to $150k from $180, and make it available in 1890. Thoughts?

440.JPG
American 4-4-0 - Top Speed 65 mph

280.jpg
Consolidation II 2-8-0 - Top Speed 55 mph

******I just noticed that the Standard 4-4-0 had no tender... fixed that ******
The Connie 2 appears to use the Original 8 weeler plow and with frontal coupler removed.
Will there be these engine overrides in RT3 Patch 1.6 too? meowmeow~
And .... the 1900s era connies (the Class 160.. WW2-era steam engine built with the same principles as German kriegslok 2-10-0) did exists too! will you include ones into the game?