graphics problems

Discuss any bugs or issues with TrainMaster.
stratjim
Cat

graphics problems Unread post

i finally got tm to work correctly (my fault), but i'm having trouble with the graphics. i have a quad core i5 and a nvidia pci-e 250 so i'm running ultra high graphics, but i get this odd flashing when i zoom in and there's no 'free angle' in the camera controls. it all looks rather flat compared to my rt3 installation. i tried re-installed the 3d folder but to no avail.

any ideas? thanks

stratjim
Gumboots
CEO

Re: graphics problems Unread post

Just trying TM out for the first time, and I noticed the same thing with the camera. Although free angle shows as selected in settings, the camera angle remains fixed. Has anyone else encountered this?
nedfumpkin
CEO

It's from changes that were made in the 1.06 exe.
Gumboots
CEO

So is it a bug or a feature? :mrgreen:
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

I had the same problems, flashy checkerboard- like screen. !hairpull! Terrible Camera controls, not only that a sluggish cursor! Unplayable!

Then I tried this:

1. Uninstall traindisaster
2. In my 1.05 folder, I replaced my 105.exe with my 1.04.exe.
3. Run the game, at the main menu look at the version # at the bottom left. It read 1.04, good.
4.Check to make sure everything is empty out of the (x86) trainmaster folder.
5.COPY everything in you 1.05 folder to trainmaster. This inculdes the 1.04exe.
6. Follow Trainmaster installation instuctions.

Now the Trainmaster runs as smooth as 1.06!
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Does anyone know the cause of version 0.00?
RulerofRails
CEO

Did you using the msi-installer? Basics of my question, is the exe getting patched from 1.04 to TM? That needs to happen for TM maps to play right. I know this doesn't happen with the manual install, but I have no experience of what the installer does.

Sorry, I don't know where the version number is located. I'm sure you will find it if you dig enough.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Anite yone have an idea what causes this?

Daytime
TMday.jpg
Nightime
tmnit.jpg
Those white lines flash, annoying. Its unplayable in night time. Also since everything in trainmaster is in Canada it is above the 53rd parallel longitude. Which causes the white shroud to appear in the top corner of the map.
RulerofRails
CEO

First, on the topic of camera controls. Cameras are fine for me, including free angle control. The difference I believe is found in Settings under the title "Scrolling". Change it to "Right mouse button zooms/rotates camera." (Default in TM is the middle button. Not friendly for the average modern mouse with a "wheel"/middle button combination.)

Cash on Wheels, never heard that there about any significance for the 53rd longtitude before. I'm a bit surprised TBH, but if I see more evidence I might be convinced.

Re: your installation description, I wondered about whether or not you are using the actual TM exe. Because you reported the version 0.00, either you restored the price islands or maybe you need to find the TM exe (as I said, I'm not sure how the msi installer handles that, maybe open the archive in 7-zip???)?

Does your main menu look like this apart from the version 0.00?
TM, main menu.jpg
Anymore info on your setup? Especially about graphics. For example, are you using a wrapper (like dgVoodoo2 or wined3d) to allow the game to use hardware acceleration? Also, related to this question is the in-game "disable Hardware T&L" switch ON or OFF?

PS.
For testing purposes, use the keypad "+" and "-" to change the time of day even while the game is paused.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote:First, on the topic of camera controls. Cameras are fine for me, including free angle control. The difference I believe is found in Settings under the title "Scrolling". Change it to "Right mouse button zooms/rotates camera." (Default in TM is the middle button. Not friendly for the average modern mouse with a "wheel"/middle button combination.)

Cash on Wheels, never heard that there about any significance for the 53rd longtitude before. I'm a bit surprised TBH, but if I see more evidence I might be convinced.

Re: your installation description, I wondered about whether or not you are using the actual TM exe. Because you reported the version 0.00, either you restored the price islands or maybe you need to find the TM exe (as I said, I'm not sure how the msi installer handles that, maybe open the archive in 7-zip???)?

Does your main menu look like this apart from the version 0.00?

Anymore info on your setup? Especially about graphics. For example, are you using a wrapper (like dgVoodoo2 or wined3d) to allow the game to use hardware acceleration? Also, related to this question is the in-game "disable Hardware T&L" switch ON or OFF?

PS.
For testing purposes, use the keypad "+" and "-" to change the time of day even while the game is paused.
After going back though this thread I though I reported back earlier that the flashing screen reared it ugly head again! My earlier post above should have been around 8/13/16.

The version 0.00 is gone for all four versions I have 1.05 1.06 1.16 trainmaster. Game runs smooth now, noted in my eariler post.

That rendering issue occurs on my computer if certian LxW map values are above 896. It has nothing to do with how far you are away from the equator. Which i assumed was the problem.

Disabled the T&L, got rid of the flashing !*th_up*! . Even after a few game saves.
No flash.jpg
iran.jpg
Are there price islands in trainmaster?
RulerofRails
CEO

Glad it's working. :-D

TM is based on the 1.06 exe, meaning no price islands. The complexities of the cargo chains make the AI weaker than in 1.05 (especially post-1900). If it's as easy to enable price islands as in 1.06 (I haven't looked into it yet), the AI will likely be noticeably worse. But who is worried about playing against the AI anyway. There are few TM maps. I don't recall one where there was supposed to be any meaningful head-to-head competition with them.

PS.
If you have the time/desire and manage to restore the price islands in TM, please let me know how to do it.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote:Glad it working....

PS.
If you have the time/desire and manage to restore the price islands in TM, please let me know how to do it.
Somehow its in the same location as the others.
Dec:183100. Ran a file compare, copied the hex values around it and they matched.

Back the .exe up of course.

My trainmaster.exe is dated 2/13/2010. 2276kb.
RulerofRails
CEO

Thanks! :salute:

I enabled price islands in my install. Ran a quick test, and yep they're working. Interestingly, my version is still "Trainmaster". Only one of my 1.06 installs has reverted to 0.00 (the one I use more) the other one is still good. Might still see version 0.00 appear at some time in the future though.

PS.
Your TM executable sounds right.

ETA:
In the language file (RT3.lng), the number "3924" references the game version with some type of call such as "Version %1". I don't understand what the game is looking for there (something in the exe file?), obviously Ned worked out how to change it for Trainmaster. Anyway, for my 1.06 install that was displaying as "Version 0.00" I "hard-coded" it by replacing "%1". That line is now

Code: Select all

3924 "Version 1.06"
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote:Thanks! :salute:

I enabled price islands in my install. Ran a quick test, and yep they're working. Interestingly, my version is still "Trainmaster". Only one of my 1.06 installs has reverted to 0.00 (the one I use more) the other one is still good. Might still see version 0.00 appear at some time in the future though.

PS.
Your TM executable sounds right.

ETA:
In the language file (RT3.lng), the number "3924" references the game version with some type of call such as "Version %1". I don't understand what the game is looking for there (something in the exe file?), obviously Ned worked out how to change it for Trainmaster. Anyway, for my 1.06 install that was displaying as "Version 0.00" I "hard-coded" it by replacing "%1". That line is now

Code: Select all

3924 "Version 1.06"
If you run a backwards file-compare with 1.05 &1.06 the first difference from the bottom is 3924 is calling near the 4208360 area. 4208368 specifically calls the last two digits of the version 1.06. Thus I have that set to ten in my mod to display it as version 1.16.
RulerofRails
CEO

Cash on Wheels wrote:If you run a backwards file-compare with 1.05 &1.06 the first difference from the bottom is 3924 is calling near the 4208360 area. 4208368 specifically calls the last two digits of the version 1.06. Thus I have that set to ten in my mod to display it as version 1.16.
I think I found the same place in the no cd version that I use. Obviously I didn't change this, so we could say maybe it's a problem with reading this area? Is it possible that it could be some sort of tamper check on the exe?

For the Trainmaster version, the word "Trainmaster" is used in location 1895772. Not sure if that means anything, other than it seems to be the place where version number is setup in the other versions also. You said TM is 0.00, that means the game isn't using that for you either. **!!!**
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

I have tried a number of things before coming here to ask, but so far nothing I can think to do improves the textures in TM. I want to play, but these grotty looking textures I'm stuck with are a real buzz killer.

I have the GOG.com install with the DirectX 8 fix in the folder, I tried disabling all mipmapping, I have T&L disabled. Still, looks like a pair of old socks in a blender.

Any suggestions?
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Have you tried the fix from Voodoo? That lets you run T&L without causing CTD, and T&L helps the graphics a lot.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3892&hilit=voodoo&start=20#p42169
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Gumboots wrote:Have you tried the fix from Voodoo? That lets you run T&L without causing CTD, and T&L helps the graphics a lot.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3892&hilit=voodoo&start=20#p42169
I hadn't thought to use dgVoodoo2 with Trainmaster since the default install of Gog.com's version of RT3 works just fine. But I gave it a try just now with TM and voila! it's all polished and pretty. Thanks for the suggestion, Sir Gumboots.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.