what's wrong with RT3.lng ?

Discuss any bugs or issues with TrainMaster.
sat108
Cat

what's wrong with RT3.lng ? Unread post

Hey guys!
I completely translated RT3.lng into Russian, but in the game, as it turned out, not all the lines were translated: cargo, buildings, historical information of the oligarchs. ... What's wrong?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: what's wrong with RT3.lng ? Unread post

Welcome to the forums. !!howdy!!

Sorry it took so long to approve your post. It seems the current Admin is temporarily (hopefully) AWOL.

I can't help with an answer to your question but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hi, !!howdy!!

What you are trying to do should work. I have successfully renamed cargoes and edited character descriptions in various tinkering efforts. Have you double-checked that you didn't miss/skip some lines?
sbaros
Conductor

Добро пожаловать товарищ, проходите в Форум! (This about exhausts my linguistic ability)
If you want to upload your translated RT3.lng file here, we can give it a try and debug any strange behaviour.
Also, I am extremely interested to get Cyrillic characters into Railroad Tycoon III, especially on the map. Have you made any progress in this aspect, or is all your stuff transcribed in Latin? I have spotted in the bitmap skins' directory a lot of bitmap files referring to fonts and I suspect they relate to the inscriptions appearing at various screens of the program. However, my occupation with other aspects of Railroad Tycoon has not allowed me any time yet to investigate it, or even look at the files at all. And generally, what is the status of progress for non-Latin labels in the program?
Looking forward to good news!
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
sat108
Cat

How do I attach a file to my forum post?
sat108
Cat

RulerofRails wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:07 am Hi, !!howdy!!

What you are trying to do should work. I have successfully renamed cargoes and edited character descriptions in various tinkering efforts. Have you double-checked that you didn't miss/skip some lines?
OK. Let's not go too far. We take the RT3.clr.rtf file, then completely copy its contents into the RT3.lng file, save it. Next, find line 3316 "Meat" and try to replace it with any other word. It doesn't matter: Latin or Cyrillic. It will be interesting to see what results you get. This line is not perceived by the game for me. But some other lines can be corrected, for example line 3306 "Livestock"
RulerofRails
CEO

I tried with the English GoG version. I don't have a file called "RT3.clr.rtf", I used notepad to edit "RT3.lng" directly. When I tried to add some cyrillic characters I found online (I'm english only) I get an error when saving that those ones I used are Unicode and not ANSI format (this can quite possibly be because I have a bad source). When I set to encode in UTF-8 I see something in-game but it's garbage.

When I went online again and got some "latin" (I have no way to know if it is correct or not), it seems to work fine:
Meat lng edit.jpg
Please note that I only have experience in the english language releases of this game. If it's a problem with format/characters not recognizable to the game, I don't know anything about those.
sbaros
Conductor

font modifications Unread post

In relation to the above I decided to venture a bit with font modifications. I extracted all DDS fonts from the DATA folder. There is a huge lot of them, such as "Arial_56_1600_C.dds" , "Arial3D_60_1024_B.dds", "Copp_30_1024_B.dds" etc.
The high numbers seem to be related to the screen resolution, like 1600 and 1024. The low numbers seem related to the intended font height. The A, B, C indicators designate progressively smaller sizes, probably in the same sense as the A, B, C etc. sizes of bitmap skins, in conjunction with the viewing distance. The "Arial3D" series seems to designate the "shadowed font" that users may select to display through the settings.
The reason I started messing with this is my intention to replace several French accented characters I don't need with Greek ones, to display as city labels in maps. I don't intend to display Greek letters in the menus themselves or anywhere else.
Attached is a screenshot of a first awkward experiment toward that direction.
The question is which font(s) I need to modify in order to get the result on the map. And probably, the font that displays when a city name is edited in the text box of the map editor. There are several hundred font DDS files, so trial-and-error looks like a rather horrifying option.
Attachments
Font.jpg
Last edited by sbaros on Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

I don't think think is something that anyone else has ever looked into. I have no idea which font file does what in the game. I suppose you could narrow it down a bit by typing some example text in a basic html test page (or font manager) and comparing that with what the game shows. That should at least enable you to get the right font names for what you want to edit.