Ontario Northland

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Ontario Northland Unread post

Did anyone play this? Does it work?
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

I was as I had downloaded TM but then for no sudden reason my Anti-Virus started saying that TM was a virus and won't let my play my TM version of RRT3 at all.
nedfumpkin
CEO

It's not. You need to make an exception, or get new AV software.
Blackhawk
CEO

I may have. I just cant remember since it's been awhile. I'll try and make time for it later this week or this weekend and see if that refreshes my memory.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:It's not. You need to make an exception, or get new AV software.
I know it's not a virus Ned. I played it for a week or so before it started saying that.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Blackhawk wrote:I may have. I just cant remember since it's been awhile. I'll try and make time for it later this week or this weekend and see if that refreshes my memory.
I think the map is doen, and just needed testing.
nedfumpkin
CEO

AdmiralHalsey wrote:
nedfumpkin wrote:It's not. You need to make an exception, or get new AV software.
I know it's not a virus Ned. I played it for a week or so before it started saying that.
Hope you get it srted out.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:
AdmiralHalsey wrote: I know it's not a virus Ned. I played it for a week or so before it started saying that.
Hope you get it srted out.
Thanks. I've tried everything but it still won't let it load at all. What really sucks about that is I was going to make the scenario i'm working on into a TM one.(Until I get it fixed it's going to be for 1.06 only.)
Blackhawk
CEO

There should be an option to tell your AV that it is a safe file. If that doesn't work, there's always the option of switching AV's to one that actually works correctly.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Blackhawk wrote:There should be an option to tell your AV that it is a safe file. If that doesn't work, there's always the option of switching AV's to one that actually works correctly.
Normally i'd just switch but this is the first time it's ever messed up one me before.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What AV app are you using?
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:What AV app are you using?
Avast. It's saved me computer from many a virus before.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Avast is supposed to be a good AV. You should be able to add the TM exe to the exclusions list.
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:Avast is supposed to be a good AV. You should be able to add the TM exe to the exclusions list.
Let me check something real quick. *Adds TM to the exclusion list and tries it. Game works.*

Hawk
The Big Dawg

AdmiralHalsey wrote: Let me check something real quick. *Adds TM to the exclusion list and tries it. Game works.*
Well there ya' go. !*th_up*!
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

ROFL
RulerofRails
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:Did anyone play this? Does it work?
Just tried it out. Generally everything worked well for me and I completed all the hauling goals. But I ran into a problem with price escalations for almost all the cargoes. I have encountered this problem before in 1.06 and even 1.05. But normally it only affects one or two cargoes. On this map I only had a couple of cargoes that weren't affected. I am wondering if you know what is happening and if this has ever happened to you?

What happens: cargo prices "breakout" in dark green patches on a map. This keeps happening over time until each cargo reaches $1,500 a load.

After 30 years I had Coal at $750 a load in some places and over $500 a load game-wide. Obviously, this is really lucrative, but it creates problems too. As cargoes increase in price they move on their own more and more readily. The small demand that registers at the Electric Plant is pretty useless against these aggressive "traders". Even when I tried to keep the Coal there, the Plants wouldn't consume much coal as they were running badly in the negative. In 1913 my status page went blank (I assume this was because I went into the editor to try to work out which goals I needed to complete), so I don't know how close I would be by the end of the game. I was going to try to use the Plants that spawned, but ended up building 10 or so new plants. The way things were going and "supplied" with coal I was lucky to have them produce 10GW each per year.

Please note, I don't think this is a problem with this particular map, unless others report the same thing. I think it must be either a game bug or something to do with my system. Seeing you have lots of experience with the game, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Here's is a screenshot to give a little idea of what is happening. If you want a saved game I can send it via PM, just ask.
Weird price breakouts.jpg
BTW, I didn't get what was supposed to happen with the Irish Sweepstakes. I had a bunch of numbers come up every September, but didn't know what to do with them or if I had won anything.
Blackhawk
CEO

I'm surprised you get such large price variations so often in your games. If it's effecting 1.05, 1.06, and TM, it sounds like it would either be a file from 1.05 that is causing this or your system. I wouldn't mind taking a look at your saved game to see how the price escalations are. I can't think of a time I've ever had the prices increase that drastically.

Currently, in my run through of this map I'm around year 1902. I'm not sure if the ledger page changes but hopefully it does cause I feel like I need some way to keep track of how much I still need to haul somewhere, and what I need to haul. But as I still have 27 years in the scenario to go, maybe the ledger changes and I get updates as to that information.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I can't remember off hand, but I think the ledger does change to let you know how much you have left to haul, but there is something that triggers it, either time, or accomplsihment.
RulerofRails
CEO

Ok, thanks, Blackhawk, I will send a save to you.

I chose the Importer/Exporter choice for StationMaster. Unfortunately the status page probably doesn't have room to display all that needs to be completed for Trainmaster at the same time. The hauling information that pops up every 5 years before 1920 gave me adequate information until such time as the status page disappeared and I lost touch with the Electricity goal. All the others were fine.

As part of the Importer/Exporter choice there is a requirement for hauling no Explosives. This would be really hard to do, requiring custom consists so heaps of manual tasks. I don't even want to try this; too much like work!

Thanks for making a nice scenario, Ned. Do you remember how the Irish Sweepstakes are meant to work?