RT3 Causes Frequent BSOD?

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: RT3 Causes Frequent BSOD? Unread post

Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Just tried the no CD patch, pretty sure I did it correctly, but it doesn't work, the game just says there's no CD and won't run. :-( Also, is there a link to download dgVoodoo? I couldn't find one in that thread, just a Readme which I don't know if it's for the correct thing? **!!!**
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Never mind I think I downloaded and got dgVoodoo to work successfully. The Disable Hardware T&L is now unchecked permanently in Graphics settings, and Water Reflections are on and seem to work. I only played briefly but so far, no crashes. Let's hope this holds out. :-D

Do I need the other files in the zip or can they be deleted?
RulerofRails
CEO

The link I gave above has the instructions. You only need the things mentioned there. The file D3D8.dll in your game folder and the exe dgVoodooCpl on your desktop. !*th_up*!
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Thanks. Think it's working now. Will play for a bit later and hope it doesn't crash out again. The water reflections do look good. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

TheBonobo4 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:42 am Just tried the no CD patch, pretty sure I did it correctly, but it doesn't work, the game just says there's no CD and won't run.
Rebooting your computer should fix that.
Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Hawk wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:24 pm
TheBonobo4 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:42 am Just tried the no CD patch, pretty sure I did it correctly, but it doesn't work, the game just says there's no CD and won't run.
Rebooting your computer should fix that.
I'll try again tomorrow then. Wasn't aware a computer restart was necessary.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Once the game/computer is made aware that a cd is in the drive and the game needs that cd, you have to reboot the computer to refresh the computers virtual memory to clear that memory of the need for a cd.

I'm sure there's a much better explanation for it than that, but there ya' go. :-D

Also, make sure you follow the instructions on the page where you got the no-cd patch. ;-)
Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I've managed to get the no CD patch to work. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What did you do to get it to work?
Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Hawk wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:17 pm What did you do to get it to work?
Just followed the instructions and reset my laptop. ^**lylgh
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Cool! Glad it was something easy. ;-)
Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I now have a new question and I think I know the answer to this already sadly.

So I was recording myself playing a scenario, and the video file was about 25 minutes long. When boom the game BSOD on me, so the video file won't play any more as it is corrupted. Is there any way to resolve this, any software that might possibly uncorrupt a video file? The file still takes up space on the HDD and is recognised as a video file (AVI I think, might be mp4 though), but has no frame rate or resolution or video length stats nor will it play.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's a couple links that might be helpful. Note that both mention VLC Player - which is free and a very good player.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/repair ... ia-player/

https://www.geckoandfly.com/4279/fix-an ... -software/
Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Hawk wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:00 am Here's a couple links that might be helpful. Note that both mention VLC Player - which is free and a very good player.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/repair ... ia-player/

https://www.geckoandfly.com/4279/fix-an ... -software/
Thank you for all these. I have been trying pretty much all day to restore the corrupted file and so far this is the situation:

The corrupted video file was recorded in FRAPS, and as such is 30.3GB since fraps video files are huge, after compression this would be less than 1GB for a 28 minute video. But I can't compress the corrupted file since no software recognises it as a valid video file, besides VLC. VLC is odd about playing it, it'll play, but as soon as I try to fast forward or jump it stops playing and I have to restart VLC.

As such, the software that would fix AVI files says the file is too big to handle. The only software that would handle it was VLC itself (besides possibly paid for software, which I'm not going to use), and this did actually manage to create an MP4 of good quality and very small (smaller than usual) file size. The problem? After around 14 minutes of the video, the video just stops and the audio continues. Why? I have no idea. !hairpull!

As a test, I uploaded this to YouTube, just to see what happens. YouTube recognises the video as the correct length, but buffers and refuses to play after the 14 minutes (which are actually fine by the way). **!!!**

Oh, and before anyone asks, as I was recording I saved over my save, or tried to (the game crashed seconds before I could, so I have an outdated save and the autosave, which I think I used to overwrite the outdated save, if that makes sense). So it's not just a case of simply loading a previous save, there isn't one any more. !facepalm!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Man, that really sucks. All that work put into that video and it seems it's lost. What a shame.
Wish I could be of more help.
Hawk
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Hawk wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:38 am Man, that really sucks. All that work put into that video and it seems it's lost. What a shame.
Wish I could be of more help.
Pretty much. One day railroad tycoon and my laptop will cooperate. It's fine for other games and tasks but for some reason it crashes with RT3.