RRT3 1.05, 106, and Windows Vista... a Fix

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: RRT3 1.05, 106, and Windows Vista... a Fix Unread post

Sadly Steve shut his site (Heineken & Pacific Railroad) down about a year ago, but I have (with his permission) immortalized his site here (with the exception of the forum), as well as added all the maps from his site to the archives here.
Hopefully this site will continue on for many years to come, at least as long as there's a few folks out there interested in the games spotlighted here.

BTW! (*!!wel aboard! :salute:
Hawk
jirnsum

Hi all! Long-time lurker for each session of RRT3 fever I've had in the past. I decided to fire it up today after a long absence and as always came over here. That's when I noticed this message on the frontpage. I am very happy to add something to it: this also works on Win7 x64!!!! The config file itself didn't, but using the short dance with the 1.03 patch I was able to create a config file that worked when I put 1.06 in.
porterjet
Cat

Well, phooey.

I downloaded and installed the fix which seems to work, at least the box is checked. Next I downloaded the C to C patch but when I try to unzip it I get an error message about 2/3 of the way through the unzip process. "Can't create output file: c:\program files\ railroad tycoon etc.....
Any ideas besides delete and try again? Which I've already done once. My internet takes about 25 minutes to download the C to C patch. !hairpull!
Thanks,
John
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If it took that long to download the C to C patch, you may have got a corrupted download. Your connection might have hiccuped during the download.
Try again but this time try it around 11:00 PM EST. Your connection, and this server will be less busy then.
If it doesn't work again I do have an alternative that works great for folks with not so good connection, but it will require downloading and installing a small utility called MasterSplitter.
Hawk
porterjet
Cat

Got it, thanks. I think the problem was that I didn't re-start my computer after the first delete/reload of the disk. I tried again and this time it works as advertised.

John
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Great! !!clap!! (0!!0)
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I suppose I should post the link to the Vista fix. :mrgreen:

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/xtras/xtras.htm
Hawk
usn1861

Hoping someone can help me. I have been working on my railroad tycoon off of discs and when I get to the 106 upgrade it says "this version of the program is not updateable." I also downloaded the steam version, but don't always have internet access. Where exactly to I put this new file? I can't find the T&L box anywhere, I get to the menu and the program quits. As I reacall Prirates had a similar issue.

Also, and anyone help me with a No CD exe? Please realize I am working for the discs on up (small words and simple instructions would be best), but was really excited about all the stuff I found for the game on this website.

Thanks
Robb
nedfumpkin
CEO

You're best off to wait for a pm from Hawk, and then try installing the engine.cfg file from the Vista fix. That has the T&L disabled so it should get you into the program.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

USN - You have a PM.

BTW! (*!!wel Aboard. :salute:
Hawk
usn1861

Thanks for the help, I still can't get past the menu, though I am no getting the auto run off the disk and I can watch the little mouse walk on the track. After that the Coast to Coast menu comes up and the whole thing quits and promises me Microsoft will let me know when a solution is avaliable.

I did this: istalled 1.05 and 1.06, moved the vista fix into the Data/config file, clicked ok to replace.

Thanks
Robb
nedfumpkin
CEO

Not ignoring your question there usn....just don't have an answer.

Technically it should work, maybe try using the 1.04 exe to see if the disable T&L hardware box is checked. Also check the log to see if anything is in there.
Gwizz
CEO

I'm just dusting out some old cob webs and I'm not sure if this; But
wasn't the loading of 3 different versions, in order ending with the 106 version required
for a good install?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I have 3 installs on my system. 1.05, 1.06, & TM.

You need to install from the CD's. Then install the Coast to Coast Expansion, then the 1.05 patch, then (if so desired) the 1.06 patch. In that order.
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

I agree! Additionally to Hawk I also have a 1.04 beta installation - and for any of these installations I always have a "clean" and a "user content updated version". And yes - of course, this means, that my desktop is completely filled with RT3-icons ... ^**lylgh
There's no business like RT business ...
jlinscheid

Thank you all for this information. I came across my RRT3 disk the other day and decided I needed to play. When it didn't work I wanted to play more than ever! When RRT3 came out I was at the store the day of release and stood there while the guy unboxed it for me right off the truck. It's been a long time, but this game is a lot of fun.

I applied the patches, including the Vista fix, but what ended up working was the renaming of the 1.03 patch and making the needed graphics setting change.

Now it's time to explore the awesome user content posted here.

Thanks again!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you're running 1.03 I'm afraid you'll find a lot of maps won't work in that version. Most are noted that the Coast to Coast Expansion and/or the 1.05 version are required and some note the 1.06 patch are required. Those most likely won't run in your install.
Some maps are not noted what version is required because I didn't know at the time they were added.

BTW! Welcome aboard! :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Psst...Hawk...I think you misread the post...it says it is working because he went the long route for a fix...:)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Oh! OK!

As Emily Lattella would say; "Never mind." :mrgreen:
Hawk
jlinscheid

Yep, I should have been more clear. I'm patched up to 1.06. I just had to use 1.03 to make the change to the config.

Thanks again.