RT3 running on Windows 7

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Axelock
Cat

Re: RT3 running on Windows 7 Unread post

Hawk wrote:It's a small enough zip I can attach it to this post, along with the read me.
Ugh.
Good news: I have managed to start my RT3!!! ::!**! (On Win 7, downloaded from Steam!)
Bad news: I don't know what I had done exactly... ;)
1. Buy, download from Steam --> Game crashed when start (as expected)
2. Use patch rt3_105.exe (I don't know it's necessary or not - can't start the game for see the version ;) ) --> Ask for CD (Why?)
3. Adding Configuration\engine.cfg from 105_106_RT3_Vista_Fix.zip (Just for the feeling) --> Same...
4. In Steam, I'm decided to click on "Verify integrity of game cache" (i.e. restore downloaded state...) --> !*00*! Everything works...

So thank you all the help, it was definitely needed to move forward to this ideal state. (0!!0)
thietavu
Conductor

Axelock wrote:
Hawk wrote:It's a small enough zip I can attach it to this post, along with the read me.
Ugh.
Good news: I have managed to start my RT3!!! ::!**! (On Win 7, downloaded from Steam!)
Bad news: I don't know what I had done exactly... ;)
1. Buy, download from Steam --> Game crashed when start (as expected)
2. Use patch rt3_105.exe (I don't know it's necessary or not - can't start the game for see the version ;) ) --> Ask for CD (Why?)
3. Adding Configuration\engine.cfg from 105_106_RT3_Vista_Fix.zip (Just for the feeling) --> Same...
4. In Steam, I'm decided to click on "Verify integrity of game cache" (i.e. restore downloaded state...) --> !*00*! Everything works...

So thank you all the help, it was definitely needed to move forward to this ideal state. (0!!0)
I suppose, this happened: your original game was non-compatible with W7, as expected. You patched the game with a patch meant for a CD-ROM version of the game, which again needs the game CD. What made the difference was probably your deed #3, since it changed the configuration of any version of the game. When Steam finally removed your patch of #2, the #3 new configuration was still there, and the game can now start under W7.

Congrats and happy gaming! (0!!0)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
ytr191
Cat

Luckly i got railroad tycoon to work on windows vista.

Although, I am really ticked that steam would sell railroad tycoon knowing that it doesn't work on vista or greater.

That really ticks me off.

Whoever made the patch, i tip my hat to you!
Railroading in china has never been so profitable as it is now.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

ytr191 - You have a PM.
Hawk
EPH
Dispatcher

So I updated my home system to a nifty quad-core unit running Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit). I re-installed RRT3, patched it through C-t-C and 1.05, then patched a separate installation to 1.06.

All of them have the same problem: RRT3 launches and I get a second or two to look at the main menu before it crashes ('Railroad Tycoon 3 has stopped working'). This happens with the 105 and 106 CD and no-CD versions and with installs in Program Files and out of Program Files.

Help?
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Gumboots
CEO

Did you put in the Vista fix? I found I had to use that too.

Install > patch to 1.0.5 > VIsta fix > no cd patch >works fror me on W7 64 bit.

Didn't work wthout following exactly that procedure. :salute:
EPH
Dispatcher

Installed, patched to C-to-C and 1.05; can't remember if I then ran Vista fix or no-cd patch. I think I ran Vista fix last, so I'll try doing it the other way.

Install in program files or outside of it?
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Gumboots
CEO

Outside. I just used a folder on C drive.
EPH
Dispatcher

Nope. Installing it on C drive outside Program Files and then copying in the Vista Fix makes no change - still launches only to crash 2 seconds later.
Gumboots
CEO

Got me beat then.
Stoker
Engineer

I "sometimes" have a similar crash when launching RT3 in W7. I discovered that when this happens, launching it a second time usually works, although sometimes it requires starting Task Manager and shutting down the "dll32" which continues to run after the failed launch. The error codes I get from these failed starts indicate that the problem is something to do with video drivers. I suspect that the game is looking for a specific DX (7?) and fails to find it. Sometimes the new driver set does what it should and catches this, and other times it does not. Don't give up just yet EPH, the solution is probably within reach. !hairpull!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

I get that occasionally too, but it should still work most of the time.
Stoker
Engineer

For future reference my current gaming rig for which I see the things listed in the post above is as follows:

AMD FX-4170 OC'd to 4.86 GHz - C&Q and all other power saving features still enabled :-D
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
16 Gb SAMSUNG 30 nm "WonderRAM" @ 1900Mhz 8-9-9-27
2 x PowerColor AX-6790 GPUs Crossfired and OC'd to the max
2 x 120 GB Corsair SSDs - W7 and old games on one and music/pics etc on other.
1 256 GB SAMSUNG SSD (Steam folder)
800 Watt OCZ PSU
ThermalTake PRO Watercooler
Corsair K-90 keyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Video: AMD Catylist driver version 12.1

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Gee, that sounds a bit underpowered for RRT3. :mrgreen:
Stoker
Engineer

Gumboots wrote:Gee, that sounds a bit underpowered for RRT3. :mrgreen:
Amazingly enough RT3 can bring about any computer to it's knees. Not graphically of course, but at some point there is a number of trains and other things going on that will bog down any CPU. I have intentionally saved some mega-scenarios to use as a CPU load test. I like being able to see how a CPU will handle an actual full load in a real application, rather than most of the "stress tests" that just calculate Pi to the Bazillionth place or whatnot. Also, in case anybody is ever curious. RT3 seems to operate perfectly when Crossfiring. The occasional crash issues I noted occur whether I am using one or both cards. One of these cards will of course maintain 60 fps, but I like not having to turn one off whenever I want to fire up RT3.

Edmund Burke
EPH
Dispatcher

Trying to start RRT3 repeatedly just leads to the same error, though with repetition it crashes before it can display the main menu screen instead of after.
Blackhawk
CEO

Did the game start and work before any of the patches? I think I had version 1.0 or 1.2 and it worked on Vista until I patched it, then I had to mess with the vista fix. If an early version works but a later version doesn't work it might limit the possibilities of what the problem could be.
Stoker
Engineer

Another method to get RT3 to work in W7 is to copy an install from an XP computer. I have actually never tried installing RT3 on W7, I just copied my folder from my old XP machine. I have tried installing other games from this same era !!jabber!! and have had problems like W7 wanting to mangle the file associations and locations of save games- etc.

Edmund Burke
EPH
Dispatcher

I tried copying over my XP install first and it crashes in the same way...

Blackhawk, I think it did run with the original basic install - before any patches. What I'm going to do next is re-install from scratch and test after each step.

Still working on it. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
OilCan
Engineer

EPH, this may sound like a dumb question, but do you still have your old computer, especially your old RT3 folders? Just asking, because if you do, a copy & paste may solve the problem. I updated my laptop last year and encountered the same problem. I copied over the old folders and ran the vista fix it has been working without a hiccup. (Oh, one item is that it runs on a no-disc crack, probably an important detail to add.)