RT3 Textures are blurry.

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: RT3 Textures are blurry. Unread post

Aha! I even replied to that post but had forgotten about it. *!*!*!

Ok, I'll give this a go on my box and see what happens. Since you tested it on W7 64 bit and since that's what I'm running, it should work.
hojuruku
Cat

You can fix this in wine the windows emulator that runs on Linux / Mac and possibly windows too.

https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=w ... newest&f=1
Talks about wine and GetAvailableTextureMem() in d3d8.dll that it emulates.....

running winetricks videomemorysize=512 or by regedit can also code the fixed available video memory size which I set to "512".
https://wiki.winehq.org/Useful_Registry_Keys

I need to verify if this is working properly. Can someone share pictures of it working and without the high res textures?

Also is there any windows testing program that outputs the result of GetAvailableTextureMem()

I get 400 fps if CSMT (wine staging) is turned off, and GLSL is off. GLSL on seems a little slower but more stable. The vanilla version of wine works the best here with all the modules builtin. I created another wine prefix just for Railroad Tycoon because the settings needs it breaks d3d9 on my AMD mesa gallium card.

Luke
Gumboots
CEO

You don't need Wine to fix this, although it would be a good solution if you were running the game on a Mac or Nix box.

This is what most of us are using now: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p42169

The difference with and without "blurry graphics" is really obvious if you check locomotives wheels with the game paused. If the bug affects your box the game will skip the A texture and drop back to D. At that res, wheels are super blocky. Often only on a 4x4 pixel grid. You can't miss it.
sbaros
Conductor

Does the above imply that RR Tycoon 3 can run under Linux with the help of an emulator?
I broke the hard disk on one of my laptops yesterday and replaced it immediately with another disk, which has only Linux installed for the time being. So, it's not a theoretical question, I actually need to know
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
Gumboots
CEO

I assume it can, but I have never tried it. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever tried it either. However it stands to reason that any virtual box setup that allows running Windows as the OS would work (possible performance penalties aside).

Wine is apparently different to a virtual box, but I've never used it for anything.
sbaros
Conductor

It runs perfectly so far under Wine and Linux Mint 19, without any unpredictable crashes apart from the justified ones (for example when loading a GMS session featuring stuff unavailable for the particular install). Much more reliable than Windows as a matter of fact...
Gumboots
CEO

Good to know. What sort of hardware do you have on that box? Any issue with frame rates?

I keep threatening to move to Linux if Windows gets annoying enough, but so far W10 hasn't been too annoying. I've heard mixed reports about W11.
sbaros
Conductor

It is a Turbo-X Laptop by Plaisio Computers from 2014, says "Model W650EH" on the back, frame rates quite smooth, ranging between 33 and 48 f/sec.
I got rid of annoying crashes ruining unsaved work.
I regret not having tested that for so many years.
sbaros
Conductor

Since my installed Linux Mint 19 was a 32-bit version, I took the effort to replace it with a 64-bit Kubundu. RR Tycoon then ran even better out of the hard disk, BUT...
running it from my USB stick was practically impossible, loading times increased 10, 20 times, I cannot tell precisely.
My Kubundu presents a similar problem with all stuff involving USB drives. Even a simple text file takes "ages" to process. One has to process files on the hard disk, then put them back on the USB stick to take them away.
I don't want to do this with my various Tycoon test versions. I need to run them directly from the USB sticks because I may work on several computers during each week and I have to be fully portable. Not transferring whole Tycoon installations back and forth between hard disks and removable storage.
Gumboots
CEO

That's a nuisance, but good to know the disc runs well on 64 bit Unix anyway.

Do Mint have a 64 bit version? And out of the two, which distro do you prefer? Mint or Kubundu?
sbaros
Conductor

Of course Mint has a 64 bit version. The 32-bit version in my case was a matter of coincidence, it occurred from the need to revive an ancient laptop of a friend that didn't support 64 bit .
My general preference is toward Mint, but this is objective, I don't want to influence users into making biased choices. And I am not sure if this USB stick disadvantage will be present regardless of the hardware concerned.