RT3 Textures are blurry.

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: RT3 Textures are blurry. Unread post

thietavu wrote:Must test even though my Radeon 7870 doesn't suffer from this problem.
Let us know if it works for you.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

How is he going to test it if he doesn't have the problem it's supposed to fix?
thietavu
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:How is he going to test it if he doesn't have the problem it's supposed to fix?
Simply by checking if something changes. Probably not, but still...
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Am I correct in thinking that mpxd's fix is intended for those running a 64 bit system with over 4 GB of RAM?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Not sure if that's what it's intended for, but it certainly seems to work on that combo. ::!**!

IIRC the problem starts at 2 gig of RAM with some video cards. Something about signed vs unsigned integers tricking the game into thinking there is no RAM at all.
thietavu
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:Not sure if that's what it's intended for, but it certainly seems to work on that combo. ::!**!

IIRC the problem starts at 2 gig of RAM with some video cards. Something about signed vs unsigned integers tricking the game into thinking there is no RAM at all.
Which makes me always wonder why I had the problem with e.g. 4GB RAM & Nvidia 768 MB combination, but not with my current 8GB (Win7-64) and Radeon HD5770 (1GB), 5850 (1GB) and now 7870 (2GB)... AMD's drivers may do something here that others don't.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

So this is a video card RAM issue as opposed to MB RAM issue?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Seems to be. More specifically, it seems to be something to do with how the video card reports RAM to the game. If it's over a certain amount, some cards seem to report it in a format the game reads as not acceptable, resulting in the game thinking there is no RAM at all.
thietavu
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:Seems to be. More specifically, it seems to be something to do with how the video card reports RAM to the game. If it's over a certain amount, some cards seem to report it in a format the game reads as not acceptable, resulting in the game thinking there is no RAM at all.
...Which again seems to point at video card drivers and how they talk to DirectX 8.1 (I think). The three AMD cards I've recently successfully used with RRT3 (namely, TrainMaster edition) all represent different technical architectures. HD7870 even dramatically different. That they all behave identically with RRT3 leads to drivers.

P.s - the latest, fastest 7870 is for some reason a little bit slower in this game than older, less powerful 5850.
obertran
Watchman

Many thanks mpxd. It worked perfect for me !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've added the blurry texture fix to the website.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm

and

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/
Hawk
AMD 103
Watchman

I forgot to say thanks to mpxd for the fix.

So, thanks for the fix!
thietavu
Conductor

I finally did some tests with RRT3 TrainMaster Edition and Windows 7-64 with and without this new patch DLL.

As said before, my system runs RRT TM flawlessly without any patches. Something changed, though, after placing that DLL file into the game directory. Previously the game told me that I have 4096 MB available video RAM. After the patch, as expected, it showed 512 MB. Other technical details didn't change. But...

What also happened was the FPS numbers almost doubling - i.e. from about 30 fps to almost 60. That difference varied, but the improvement was there using any speed. I still have to double-check whether this was a permanent, genuine improvement, but if so, this will help especially very large, complex scenarios like Great China 4 (which tends to slow down in the end game with lots of stuff going on).
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

This work perfectly for not just the regular stock stuff but also the great custom engines and cars the modders have made.
Bogart

Hello Everyone.

I just registered in order to thank everyone involved in troubleshoot RRT 3 on win 7. Your win7 fix allowed me to run the game, even change settings, when before it crashed at the intro or settings menu. I later ran into the low res texture bug. This thread helped me find a way to make the game work. However I did run into a problem when using this fix. This fix caused the game to crash when starting a new campaign when the selection screen for the scenario would run. I found a workaround for this. First off I would start a new campaign without the dx8 file letting it load into the game then I would save it and close the game. I installed the dx8 file, started the game again then load the saved game. In order to avoid repeating this process for each new game I just started multiple new scenarios saving each under its own unique name; Going West 1 for example. Although this is not a 100% fix it is letting me enjoy the game I played years ago.

Maybe this will help those with similar issues as mine or at least provide some information for those creating all these workarounds. If you need any information I can provide feel free to ask.

Thanks again
tek1979

pardon my ignorance, but how do I use this file? !hairpull!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Did you read the README.txt that is in the zip?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Methinks not. :mrgreen:

@tek: you just put it in the same folder as your RT3.exe.(whichever folder you installed RT3 to).
nedfumpkin
CEO

Okay, I just installed this patch, and mpxd is my new hero!

Awesome...it works on Vista, and now whenever I make a skin I will actually be able to see it!
Cross Zero

Hello, I tried to apply this patch on my system (Win 8.1) but for some reason with this "fix" the game won't start anymore. I really want to play RT3 again and, while High-res would be nice, the main problem I find irritating is that it seems that my system is far too powerful for this game. Is there any way to limit the frames? I can't watch the wonderful trains rolling when they glitch out every 1-2 seconds. btw my FPS begins at 680 (!) FPS and is "limited" at 1.800 (!!!) FPS.