Installing RT3 on Win8.1

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Orange46
Dispatcher

Installing RT3 on Win8.1 Unread post

Hawk wrote:You have a PM.
What is a PM?

I installed the game from disc 1 and the game worked, including getting the message to insert disc 2 when I first tried it with the wrong disc. Then, eventually, I got the C to C patch to work after resetting everything to run as the administrator and going to the XP compatibility mode. Finally, I got the vista fix inserted into the correct file (actually, it replaces that file) and now I am getting the no disc error message. Arghhh. Where is RT4.

Yes, I am finally trying to play RT3 on my new Win 8 (now 8.1) machine that I got last year. I need my train fix.
Quality is Job 1.01
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Installing RT3 on Win8.1 Unread post

Good luck getting it all to work. It sounds like you might be need a private message (PM) from Hawk on how to fix your problem for 1.05.

If you copy the files over to another directory and patch to 1.06, the 1.06 version doesn't suffer from the no-disc issue.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've decided that this game is old enough that I don't need to send PM's for this link.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/no_cd/no_cd_patch.htm

It does require the 1.05 patch though.

If you installed RT3 in the default directory - Program Files (86), that would explain you having difficulties installing patches. Starting with Vista, Microsoft decided that any files in the Program Files (86) and the Program Files directories cannot be written to. They are protected. That's why it's better to install RT3 into a different directory: IE - C:\Railroad Tycoon, or something to that affect. You can name the directory whatever you want.
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

So, I deleted and reinstalled RT3 outside of the Program file. CtoC is working fine and it's working off of disc 2, but my system won't allow me to do anything with the RT3 1.05 exe. If it isn't one thing, it's another.
Attachments
Screenshot (17).png
Quality is Job 1.01
Blackhawk
CEO

I see you have your downloads folder up, are you trying to run something for RT3 from that folder or was that just the folder that was up in the background when you tried an RT3.exe in the RT3 folder?

Did you try deleting the RT3.exe with administrative access, and then unzip the replacement RT3.exe file downloaded above and copy and paste that into the same directory?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

There's a couple threads in the RT III Installation forum, but I don't think they will be of any help to you.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3710

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3575

Other than that, it seems you may be in virgin territory with Win 8.

BTW! I've split these post off of the thread they were in, since it doesn't have anything to do with Win 7, and renamed the title of the thread.
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

It doesn't run here either.

edit. I just deleted the other exe and it still doesn't run. Also, I don't remember ever unzipping the 105 exe. I think it came as as is from this site.
Last edited by Orange46 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quality is Job 1.01
Blackhawk
CEO

I'm not sure what exactly to try. But looking at the file size, I'm not sure what those 1.05 exe files are as they are different in size than the one I have. My RT3.exe is 2.276KB. I'll zip it and attach it here. Feel free to try unzipping it and trying that .exe.
Attachments
RT3-file.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Orange46 wrote:Also, I don't remember ever unzipping the 105 exe.
You shouldn't have to unzip it, and normally you don't, but that may not be the case with Win 8.
I mean, after all, we are talking about an operating system that wasn't even designed for the PC, but was designed for cell phones and tablets.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

One thing to mention, as the RT3 patch from 1.04 to 1.05 just replaces the RT3.exe file and doesn't patch any other files to the game, you can go from CtC to 1.05 with the version of the 1.05 patch that Hawk referred to on the site, without first doing the official 1.05 patch.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Blackhawk wrote:you can go from CtC to 1.05 with the version of the 1.05 patch that Hawk referred to on the site, without first doing the official 1.05 patch.
If you're talking about the no-cd patched I linked to a couple posts above, I believe it requires 1.05 to already be installed before it will work. I could be wrong though, but it might be worth a try.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Orange46, I am glad to see you around here. I like that you made difficult maps. I could be way wrong, but by the logo it looks like you are trying to run the 1.05 installer. My question would be what changed from Coast to Coast versus 1.05? Looking at their comparative sizes, I think it was just the exe file. I could be wrong, but I would make a copy of the entire folder and try running either Hawk's or Blackhawk's exe in that new folder. See what version the game says in the lower corner of the main menu.

PS. If you get the low resolution graphics problem there is a new, better fix (which is a "patched" exe file) in this thread. This is a no-cd 1.05 exe.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

As you can see in this shot, all that's in the 1.05 zip on this site is the rt3.exe and the history.rtf file.
1.05.jpg
1.05.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
The exe is 4.027344 MB (4,222,976 bytes).

The exe in the no-cd zip on this site is 2.222656 MB (2,330,624 bytes)

The exe in the Coast to Coast zip is the exact same size as the exe in the 1.05 zip.

Here's what the 1.05 patch addresses.
Version 1.05 Changes
Note: This patch does NOT require you to have any prior patches installed. Whether or not you have installed patches 1.01 to 1.04, the RT3 – Coast to Coast expansion, or none of the above, this patch will work fine in any of these scenarios.

1. Fixed a multiplayer crash bug inadvertantly introduced in patch 1.04.
2. Resolved the bug that could cause trains to slow to 1 m.p.h. sometimes when approaching stations and/or service towers.
3. Fixed a bug that would cause industries with 2 possible inputs (i.e. textile mill), to produce at only half of their targeted rate, even when supplied with both inputs.
You would think that those changes would affect the byte size somewhat, but it didn't.
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

Thanks, guys. I tried Hawk's exe first and it worked!

Now, to decide whether to install 1.06, or continue the revised CtC scenario that I started in 1.04. North America thru the Ages never achieved in RT3 what it did in RT2 and now I am tinkering with the CtC version of that. Only Kraellin's map of North America existed at the time I made the RT3 version. Don't get your hopes up. Many of these tinkerings fail to result in anything worthwhile.
Last edited by Orange46 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quality is Job 1.01
Blackhawk
CEO

Good to hear you got it working. Most of us have multiple installs of the game. So you can have a 1.05 game and a 1.06 game and play any scenario that you want.

Simply copy the entire directory where you installed the game and then paste that into a new directory. Call it something like RT3 - 1.06. Then install the 1.06 patch to the files in that directory. For more information see Hawk's post here: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Orange46
Dispatcher

And it continues. But, 1.05 is doing well. I tried downloading the file a second time and this was the result - same as the first try. I am not doing a 3rd.
Attachments
Screenshot (23).png
Quality is Job 1.01
RulerofRails
CEO

Try using 7-zip instead of whatever built in windows unzip application you appear to be using. Once you have it properly unzipped, manually copy the file "Setup06.exe" into the RT3 folder you will use for 1.06. Fingers crossed it will work there with administrator privileges.

ETA: Looked a little closer at your screenshot and something doesn't seem right as the file you have is really small even for a zip. "Setup06.exe" that I mentioned should be about 24MB uncompressed.
Blackhawk
CEO

As RoR said the 1.06 patch should be 24-25mb in size. It looks like it didn't download correctly.

Most zip files should be able to be opened by Windows these days without the need of WinZip. .rar files though still would need WinRar, 7zip, or winzip. We each all have our preferences on which program we prefer.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you're using Internet Explorer to download with, you're going to have that problem.
It states that at the top of every page in the archives.
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

Downloaded again and it is still 128 KB. Perhaps the source is corrupted?

edit. OK, it's an AOL problem. I tried again on Chrome and it worked. Thanks to all, including my nephew.
Quality is Job 1.01