RT3 running on Windows 10

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: RT3 running on Windows 10 Unread post

Yep. I'm holding off on Windows 11 for the moment. Give them a while to sort out the initial glitches. There are bound to be some. :D
Andrew
Cat

Hi guys,

I tried installing RRT 3 multiple times yesterday. Initially, I couldn't even start it because I would get the DirectX 8.1 error. I worked around that with your tips - the dgvoodoo dlls and the config file - after that I could get the game to start but it would just start in a very small window (screenshot here https://snipboard.io/RgvL5W.jpg). I can hear the musing playing, but that's it.

If I press the maximize button, I will get the DirectX error. I tried other ways to maximize the window, Alt+enter and F11 don't work. I also tried right clicking on the shortcut icon - properties - shortcut - run and set maximized. Using the last method I could get the game to start in full screen, but it would just stay in a black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, first question: is it an original PopTop disc, or one of the other versions (Steam, GoG, etc)?

Second question: where did you install it?

It's not a good idea to install to the default option - C:\Program Files (x86). It's better to pick a custom location to install to. I installed mine to Desktop.
Andrew
Cat

It was the Steam version. I tried the GoG version also, but it had the same problem.

I never installed it in the default location. I installed it on D, or the desktop. Didn't make any difference.
Last edited by Andrew on Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, you'll have to wait for one of the others to see this. Either that or try the Steam support boards. I've never used their version (only an original PopTop disc).
RulerofRails
CEO

dgVoodoo and the config file (known as the "Vista Fix") are not compatible. If you run with dgVoodoo while also having the "disable Hardware T&L" switch ON the game will look strange or not show up at all. (Possibly your blank screen issue). Use one or the other. dgVoodoo is better. But for a quick test there's no harm in deploying the Vista fix.

I have a default Steam install just for test purposes. It works without any fixes for me on Windows 10 (up to date). I never saw the Direct x 8.1 message. It can depend on your system I guess. Also, that means that I don't have first-hand experience of this issue. I would make sure that the game is running on your main graphics card, recent processors have built-in integrated graphics that may be used by default. Also make sure that legacy features for windows are turned on. To me, windows and the way it interacts via various hardware/drivers/software etc. is one of the main variables here. If it was me, I would try to sleuth through the net to find something relevant for my computer. For example in a quick search I saw that other games may show a Direct x 8.1 error in Windows 10 while refusing to start. Without seeing exactly your message I can't tell if that may be relevant or not. Bear in mind that many "conclusions" will include circumstantial assumptions.
Shorebird
Cat

So after 19 years I had an itch to play RRT 3! I am am running MS Windows10-64 Pro.
I pulled out my original PopTop CDs and plugged in my-old USB CD/DVD drive.
I have the original install CDs from 1983 :)
I fumbled about for a while but the game refused to run with the original-install CDs.
Luckily, I found this site. You all are AWESOME!!! I had the game up-and-running in no time thanks to you all.

Here's what I did:

1. Install the game from the Install CD but change the installation directory from C:\Windows\system...
to some other drive or location. Try the desktop if you only have one drive. I Installed my game to D:\Railroad Tycoon 3.
2. Do NOT install Direct X 8.
3. Do NOT Install GameSpy Arcade (LOL!)
4. Note: If you have a newer version of the install disks, you may skip the 103 patch.
a) Download the RT3_103_ENG.exe patch from this site.
b) Copy this file to your RRT3 directory (ex. D;\Railroad Tycoon 3\) and run it.
5. Download the rt3_coast_to_coast_eng.exe patch to your installation directory and run it.
Now you are at ver. 104!
6. Download the RT3_105_eng.exe patch to your install directory and run it.
7. Download the dgVoodoo2 zip file from dege found in the links on this site.
I used ver. 279. Unzip this file.
Under the MS\x86 directory in that unzipped folder, there are 4 files:
D3D8.dll
D3D9.dll
D3Dlmm.dll
DDraw.dll
Copy these four files to your installation folder (ex. D:\Railroad Tycoon 3)
8. Download the Rt3_nocd105_patch.zip file to a temporary folder and unziip it.
Rename the RT3.exe file in your installation directory to something like RT3_ORG.exe (just in case).
Now copy the RT3.exe patched file to your installation directory.

I hope this makes it easier for anyone else looking around. Thanks to Hawk & Badger for all the info and keeping the trains rolling!
sbaros
Conductor

Shorebird wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:51 am So after 19 years I had an itch to play RRT 3! I am am running MS Windows10-64 Pro.
I pulled out my original PopTop CDs and plugged in my-old USB CD/DVD drive.
I have the original install CDs from 1983 :)
1983 ? That's news for me !
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !