RT3 running on Windows 10

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
OddBox
Cat

RT3 running on Windows 10 Unread post

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 and tried RT3?
Bcbuhler
Hobo

Re: RT3 running on Windows 7 Unread post

I've used it on the Windows 10 preview and it worked fine I don't have the normal Windows 10 yet to try it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: RT3 running on Windows 10 Unread post

I figured I'd split these two posts off of the Win 7 thread and start a new thread on Win 10.
Hawk
thietavu
Conductor

Sadly, my TrainMaster RRT3 no longer loads after upgrading W7-64 to W10-64. Why, I have no idea so far...
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Supposedly, Win 10 would uninstall ( or maybe deactivate) any programs it finds that it thinks it's not compatible with. Maybe it deleted or changed the exe.
Hawk
DTL98
Hobo

RT3 and Windows 10 Unread post

I just recently upgraded to Windows 10, and I thought I would do you all a favor by letting you all know about a couple of issues I encountered with RT3 on my computer running Windows 10.
1. Windows10 does not like RT3 in full screen (crashes to desktop). This can be fixed by launching RT3 in windowed mode or changing to windowed mode before it crashes to desktop.
1b. When RT3 is in windowed mode, I recommend using the largest video resolution size that fits your monitor-- the game can be shrunk down pretty small automatically!
2.Windows 10 does not like the debug menu (disappears before you can get very far with anything). I have not found a true solution to this yet- just know what you want to do before you open the drop down menu.
3. For those of you who are into re-skinning and other game modifications: When you go to rename a file, it tends to automatically leave the typing box before you can type more than about 2 or 3 characters. For this, I would recommend typing it into Word or Notepad first, and then copying and pasting it into the rename file textbox.
4. For those of you who download stuff: I gave Microsoft Edge a try, and it isn't that great (meaning it doesn't download stuff very well, if at all). To solve this, you can use just about anything else (i.e. Firefox, Google Chrome).
But, nonetheless, RT3 works on Windows 10! ::!**!
Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

DTL98 - I merged your post into a thread already started about Win 10 and RT3.
Hopefully your post will help others.
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and my RT3 installations (see "Installing RT3 on Win 8.1") work as they did before. No problems!
There's no business like RT business ...
3dwa21
Cat

I'm getting that direct3D error :(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

3dwa21 wrote:I'm getting that direct3D error :(
This problem has been fixed, as stated in this post - viewtopic.php?p=40090#p40090
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

I'll add my name to those who have successfully installed RT3 on Windows 10. I followed Sugus' step by step process (viewtopic.php?p=39773#p39773) and installed it without any problem. I am glad to report that the game runs great on Windows 10.

Win 10 also allows me to again view this forum in its proper format or layout - which is such a relief. After it was reformatted, some time ago, the forum always appeared as some abstract form of cubism on my Vista. I gave up trying to find the correct resolution and just tolerated the odd columns of text. This is now so much better. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You never said anything about that OC. Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like now, so I can see if there's an issue with the format? It may be something I need to report to the developers.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:You never said anything about that OC. Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like now, so I can see if there's an issue with the format? It may be something I need to report to the developers.
Sorry Hawk, I can't take a screen shot - the laptop died all of a sudden. It went from it's first ever blue screen of death to not being able to boot up at all in just 3 reboots. It crashed! That's why I now have Windows 10 - I bought another laptop.
thietavu
Conductor

I finally managed to get TrainMaster (RRT3) running on W10, but it took some black magic. Had to run it once in "Safe mode, Full Screen, No sound" mode once. After that, it works just fine in full screen mode at 1600x1200. Strange. I had already lost all hope, so this is so much fun again. :)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
OilCan
Engineer

Thietavu, what happened to your RT3 China game map? I have looked for it in the archives but cannot find it. I noticed that you have a TM version. Do you still have a RT3 version?
thietavu
Conductor

OilCan wrote:Thietavu, what happened to your RT3 China game map? I have looked for it in the archives but cannot find it. I noticed that you have a TM version. Do you still have a RT3 version?
I meant to make a RT3 version, but that never happened - the effort would have been just too big. It took me literally hundreds of hours to create the original TM version, and as I really prefer TM over the original RT3, I decided to keep things this way. Great China simply benefits from TM changes a lot. If someone wants to play Great China (I'm playing it even right now - it's quite different every single time :) ), please send me a personal message. Or simply install TM and download the map.
RulerofRails
CEO

Thietavu, good to hear that you got your game working. Just thought I would give you a heads up that Gumboots and I did some testing a few months back on fuel costs and reliability. If you want to read more take a look at these threads: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3935 and viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3939. There are a few more miscellaneous details we discovered which are in other threads in the Rollingstock section.

I remember your comments about the long-term usage of engines on your China map. Perhaps some of these details will help you optimize train usage. Here's a thread on engine replacement viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3940. My interest in this topic was piqued by Gumboots revealing that the weight of an engine has a great deal to do with the actual fuel cost seen when in use. This explains the massive discrepancy in fuel costs between engines, especially steamers, even though they have the same fuel economy rating. There are plans to make a better set of eras where train cars have better weight increase progression and also designate trains into dedicated train classes, for example Freight, Mixed and Express. The project is progressing a bit slowly right now, but expect to see at least a revised set of engine weights that even out the worst offenders in the future.
thietavu
Conductor

Interesting info, indeed... Might explain why Big Boy and its siblings are so hopelessly hungry and even unreliable in Great China, although their reputation in real life was very good.
RulerofRails
CEO

Yes, it certainly does. The Big Boy is at the top of the list of worst offenders. There are various spreadsheets that have lots of info including the stats that relate the fuel consumption among engines, to be found in some of those Rollingstock threads.

I made a screen grab of some locos for this post: http://www.hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopi ... 157#p41157. Look at the difference between the Big Boy and Kriegslok, the Big Boy costs about triple to cover the same distance with the same load, and about double what I consider to be a decent frieght haulage cost (around $0.12-$0.15). Maintenance is higher on top of that. I like your description: "hopeless".
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:The project is progressing a bit slowly right now, but expect to see at least a revised set of engine weights that even out the worst offenders in the future.
What he means is that Gumboots has been distracted by other things again, and has not done the RT3 coding he was supposed to be doing. :mrgreen: