RRT3 on Windows 10 via Steam

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
PRR1361
Cat

RRT3 on Windows 10 via Steam Unread post

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if there's a way to get RRT3+1.06 patch and mods via the Steam client version? I'd like to do it by downloading it instead of buying another disc if possible. But then again I don't know if RRT3 works on W10 at all. Sorry if I'm missing a previous thread on this. Thanks for any help and have a good day all.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: RRT3 on Windows 10 via Steam Unread post

Hi.

As far as I know the Steam version reverts any modifications every time it starts, so I don't think it's possible to run 1.06 or any modifications on the Steam version. I haven't used it myself though, so someone else will probably know more.

You can get RT3 running on W10. That doesn't seem to present any problems. If you do go with the CD version it runs better with the dgVoodoo add-on to fix some graphics bugs, but that's a free download and it's easy to set up.
Silverback
Watchman

the GOG.com version (site at https://www.gog.com ) will probably be easier to start with if you need to buy - install outside the program files folder though. Install it via the offline installer download rather tha the GOG galaxy version. I've not tried it with 1.06 but GOG installs are easier to patch than steam installs. Modifying games from steam is not always easy owing to the way steam installs them on your PC.

If I have a choice of installing GOG or steam versions of games I would always go for the GOG version (offline installer not Galaxy).
Bolg
Cat

Sorry for the necro. Found this thread for Steam RRT3, looks good? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2358906262) The game is 1.05 to start. This site's instructions stress the game must not be 1.05 to install C2C. Anyone aware if the Steam version is already Coast to Coast? Installed all four dx files per discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4307&p=47395#p47395 . This http://hawkdawg.com/txt/rt3/Vista_Fix_RT3.txt says disable (check the box) the 'disable hw t&l.' The previous link said to uncheck the box. Opinions? TIA
Gumboots
CEO

Hi. Can't help you with Steam versions. Some of the others here have tried them, and will probably chip in an answer. Alternatively, I suppose you could ask over at steamcommunity. Someone there should know too.

But yes, you have to install C2C before upgrading to 1.0.5. That is a definite. :)

Re the "Vista fix": It's obsolete. Don't bother using it, and ignore any instructions to do with it. Leave Hardware T&L enabled (ie: unchecked). Just run dgVoodoo and you should be fine.
RulerofRails
CEO

Those instructions about Coast to Coast are only relevant if you are installing from an original disk. 1.05 was released in 2004. Coast to Coast is called an expansion (yes it added content), but it is also a patch (1.04). For all reasonable purposes an install of version 1.05 will have the Coast to Coast content. I can confirm that the steam version includes this content.

To check for yourself, go into the game and check the scenario list, "Coast to Coast" additions have a name with light blue text. You should see: "Alternate USA, Coast to Coast, East of Mississippi, etc...."