Weird to me RT3 no go

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
TomParrot
Cat

Weird to me RT3 no go Unread post

Hello readers,
Playing RT3 with 1.06 a few days ago when part graphics of the game went peculiar.
I viewed the Overview then the Cargo Supply and got white frothy ground with no cargo supply.
Reloaded the game and still the same.
Did maintenance on the computer and still the same.
No problem re-install.
Now I can't do that.
I am running Windows 10. Below is PopTop Software CPUInfo.
OS = Windows 2000
Vendor = AuthenticAMD
Model = Unknown
CPU Speed = 3990 MHZ
Total Memory = 2047 megs
Free Memory = 2047 megs
MMX = YES
SSE = YES
SSE2 = YES
3DNOW = NO
Display Adapter = Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics
Sound Device = Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

I have a directory Railroad Tycoon:- with RT3.exe ver 1.1 modified date 5 October 2003
In that directory I have Railroad Tycoon 1.05 with RT3.exe modified date 8 September 2004
Delete my directory Railroad Tycoon 1.06.
Recreate it and copy all the files and directories from Railroad Tycoon. RT3.exe modified date 5 October 2003.
After installing Coast to Coast patch to new Railroad Tycoon 1.06 and running RT3 I get in the top left hand corn of the screen three symbols:- the RT icon, a square then a X.
Clicking any of these closes the program.
Have tried copying RT3.exe from 1.05 and the same happens.
Both programs in main directory and 1.05 run OK.
Need help. Thank you.
Tom Parrot
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Weird to me RT3 no go Unread post

Did I understand correctly, your 1.05 install is working, but your 1.06 one is not?

I'm a bit suspicious of the graphics setting Disable Hardware D&L. Did you change any graphics settings lately?

A working install of the game should be able to be copied anywhere sensible (maybe in system folders or something you might run into access rights problems). What I would recommend is to try copying your entire 1.05 folder. Paste it somewhere of your choice. Test to make sure it runs correctly.

Then just run the 1.06 installer (setup06.exe) directed to that new game copy.

PS. Maybe it's just your wording choice, but it sounds like you installed Coast to Coast after patching to 1.06. Any digital copy of the game probably comes with Coast to Coast content included. If it's 1.05 you don't need it. You can easily tell if you have Coast to Coast by checking your scenario list. Look for some maps with a blueish text for their name, or just check for the name "Coast to Coast."
TomParrot
Cat

Hello,
Yes you did read correctly. It's puzzling me. Nothing changed. No settings on the program changed. One day working fine, next day poof.
I have done what you suggest about copying 1.05 and then installing 1.06. But no luck.
Just done it again to confirm. Created a directory called RT3 1.06 test. Copied the 1.05 directory into new directory. Tried the RT3 1.05, it works. Ran setup06.exe and I get a file RT3.exe.105 but the icon is blank. Clicking on Properties and the modified date is today.
Microsoft message comes up, 'How do you want to open this file? Look for an app in the Microsoft Store. More apps. Always use this app to open .105 files. OK.
Gone back to click on OK and the message has gone.
Deleted the file.
Re-run setup06.exe now have a file RT3.exe.106.
Now interesting the screen flashes several times and comes up with the Main menu but, showing version 1.0.
Work that one out. 1.05 runs ok. Run setup06.exe and get previous setup.
I did say it was weird.
TomParrot
Cat

Hello RulerofRails,
I feel stupid.
The 1.05 file on running it is in fact Coast to Coast Version 1.06.
Must be the tablets.
Tom Parrot
Gumboots
CEO

Re-run setup06.exe now have a file RT3.exe.106.
Now interesting the screen flashes several times and comes up with the Main menu but, showing version 1.0.
What happens if you just go ahead and try to use the main menu? Does it work, or not?
RulerofRails
CEO

The 1.06 patch keeps the old executable file for the purpose of uninstall. This is the file you saw: RT3.exe.105

The correctly patched file will be simply called RT3.exe
If you don't see that file, then something else went wrong.

Regarding the version numbers, if you have multiple exe files they are misleading. The game looks for "RT3.exe" and reads the version # from that. Even if you run a different (renamed) exe file, it will still take the version number from "RT3.exe". If there is no "RT3.exe", I believe it reverts to 0.00
TomParrot
Cat

Hello RulerofRails,
It's getting too confusing for me. Although I have a version 1.06 as it says on the RT3 screen it still flashes the screen four or five times before showing the menu. But it works fine after that as far as I can tell.
I'm not happy with it though so will attempt to reinstall from scratch.
Also cannot figure out the initial problem of the Supply Cargo not showing.
If I get problems I'll be back.
Tom Parrot