RT3 no longer loads after Coast to Coast update Win10 'Wrong disk' error

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
enjormann
Cat

RT3 no longer loads after Coast to Coast update Win10 'Wrong disk' error Unread post

I had RT3 working previously but not at correct resolution (have laptop with 1080P and desktop monitor with 1440P. Tried to install the Coast to Coast and now I get error "Wrong disk inserted" Retry Cancel.
Silverback
Watchman

Re: RT3 no longer loads after Coast to Coast update Win10 'Wrong disk' error Unread post

as far as I recall the GOG version of RT3 already has coast to coast installed. Installing Coast to Coast on top of the GOG version will then require the disk versions disk to be in the drive. I think the GOG version is 1.05 and contains the coast to coast map etc. and is patched not to need a CD. Coast to coast is only version 1.04. 1.04 was a patch to versions 1.03 and below. the 1.05 patch needs to be installed after coast to coast is installed on the original disk versions.

A reinstall of the GOG version is probably required.
enjormann
Cat

Re: RT3 no longer loads after Coast to Coast update Win10 'Wrong disk' error Unread post

Thanks! Working on GOG version...

I was originally trying to get full 1920 x 1080 graphics (still looking...) and tried to start with installing the 1.05 update. That created the disk error problem.

Today I uninstalled using GOG uninstaller, then reinstalled. The game states it is running Coast to Coast, v1.05.

1) Now I seem to have 1.05 version. I am not sure I have the 1.05 campaigns or scenarios. I would like to get as many of these as possible. How can I do this (or are they already there)?
2) Should I try to install the 1.06 patch? Where do I find out how to do that without destroying my current install (which is what really was the basis of the last screwup resulting in the "wrong disk" message.
3) Also, I am not good at the game. Where on these forums (or elsewhere) should I go to learn?

Thanks!, in advance...
Silverback
Watchman

Firstly this is a 20 year old game when monitors were typically 4:3 ratio and around 1024x768. I've seen hacks to hexedit configuration files to get higher resolutions but never tried them. You may get strange effects. The game wasn't designed for modern PCs and Graphics cards. I prefer to play older games in resolutions and aspect ratios they were designed for even if it means black bars down the sides. Others hate this.

If it says coast to coast then I expect everything is there as part of the install. GOG normally do a good job with all official updates and patches. Version 1.05 is the latest.

More maps are downloadable from this site.

To learn I would suggest to look at the various forum sections and also search the forum. There are hints and tips. Otherwise search the internet in general. Play the campaign after doing the tutorial. Good luck

re 1.06 the suggestion (see elsewhere on the forum - please search as I've never bothered with 1.06 ) is to copy the install to a separate folder on the PC outside the program files folder and then patch that copied version as again this is a 20 year old game and modern windows versions behave differently from the older versions. DO NOT patch the current install.
Gumboots
CEO

enjormann wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 pm Thanks! Working on GOG version...

I was originally trying to get full 1920 x 1080 graphics (still looking...)
See attached zip. !*th_up*!

1) Now I seem to have 1.05 version. I am not sure I have the 1.05 campaigns or scenarios. I would like to get as many of these as possible. How can I do this (or are they already there)?
The default PopTop campaigns and scenarios will already be there (they are part of the game). User-created scenarios can be downloaded from the RT3 section of the site (see the site menu at the top of the page).

2) Should I try to install the 1.06 patch? Where do I find out how to do that without destroying my current install (which is what really was the basis of the last screwup resulting in the "wrong disk" message.
You need to create a separate installation for 1.06 (copy the RT3 folder to desktop). But I would recommend starting with 1.05 anyway.
Attachments
1920x1080_config.zip
(566 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times
enjormann
Cat

Thanks! I have played RRT3 in the past but was never good at it. I have had some good successes but not consistently. I also had RRT2 which I really liked. It had some very interesting maps/scenarios (I remember one which had the Mediterranean dry out and one had to get across that - that was fun as a concept, at least).

I guess I will review again the info about economies and try some more. The hard part for me is that I don't try to only buy and sell but just lay track and, if I can make enough money, then buy industries as profit sources or production destinations (and profits that way). I also tend to overbuy on stations as I have had past bad experiences of having to rebuild everything if I start with a small station. I am now also starting to try to have stations off the main line so they don't slow down traffic as much (and that is a whole challenge by itself). It becomes a bigger challenge as time goes by and the trains get longer due to bigger cars.
Gumboots
CEO

With the config file for custom resolution, there are a few points to be aware of.
  1. Do not change resolution in the settings menu (it will mess up the config file).
  2. Also, going from full screen to windowed view will mess up the config file.
If you do something that messes it up, it is easy to fix:
  1. Save the game.
  2. Close RT3.
  3. Overwrite the borked config file with a fresh copy.
  4. Open RT3 again, and pick up where you left off. !*th_up*!

The hard part for me is that I don't try to only buy and sell but just lay track and, if I can make enough money, then buy industries as profit sources or production destinations (and profits that way).
Rail-only starts can be very difficult, or nearly impossible, in some scenarios. My advice is to check out the map and see what the best opportunities are.

Starting with medium or large stations is pretty sensible most of the time.

Putting some stations on a bypass can be useful, but it does tend to chew up a lot of track, so it's best to do it judiciously rather than for all stations.