Coast to Coast 1.04 crashing the game.

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
CNR_3125
Cat

Coast to Coast 1.04 crashing the game. Unread post

Version 1.00 to 1.04 from CD on Windows 10. 1.00 works fine

When I try updating the game to 1.04, the intro video plays on next launch, then crash to Windows at end of video or when I skip. 1.04 goes to the install directory for RRT3? The default file path is C:\ and stuff, it has no sub folders after rrt3. For me the directory is D:\Games\Railroad Tycoon 3. D is my second storage drive, optical disc is E:
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Coast to Coast 1.04 crashing the game. Unread post

Offhand, not sure what's happening with that. 1.00 is a very old disc.
You may have to patch it sequentially: 1.00 > 1.01 > 1.02 > 1.03 >1.04

This site has 1.03 available, but not 1.01 and 1.02. I don't know where you would get hold of those.

Honestly, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, the easiest and best option is probably to buy the GOG version of the game. That is already updated and should work out of the box (several members here use it). It only costs $10 USD.

https://www.gog.com/game/railroad_tycoon_3
CNR_3125
Cat

Gumboots wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:24 pm Offhand, not sure what's happening with that. 1.00 is a very old disc.
You may have to patch it sequentially: 1.00 > 1.01 > 1.02 > 1.03 >1.04

This site has 1.03 available, but not 1.01 and 1.02. I don't know where you would get hold of those.

Honestly, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, the easiest and best option is probably to buy the GOG version of the game. That is already updated and should work out of the box (several members here use it). It only costs $10 USD.

https://www.gog.com/game/railroad_tycoon_3
I might just buy Steam version at some point, probably the bundle on sale with rrt II platinum and Sid's Railroads. The bundle was on sale recently for around $10 Canadian, even cheaper us. Do you know what version steam sells?
Silverback
Watchman

If you look on the Steam site their version of the game won't work with windows 10 or anything later than Vista! - Steam don't seem capable of getting old games to work on modern operating systems so you mey well waste your money. the notice says "Notice: This game is not compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7"

GOG do patch their games properly. They often do sales too and do have Railroads and RTII.

I suspect from memory you should install from CD, install patch 1.03 and then turn of hardware T&L before upgrading to 1.04 etc. (settings -> graphics and check disable hardware T&L) If I recall there may be a configuration file on here you can use and avoid reinstalling.

If you search old threads on here you will find many suggestions and solutions for getting coast to coast working on windows 7 and later - This one for example although the link for the file may not work - viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2131
Gumboots
CEO

CNR_3125 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:44 pmI might just buy Steam version at some point, probably the bundle on sale with rrt II platinum and Sid's Railroads. The bundle was on sale recently for around $10 Canadian, even cheaper us. Do you know what version steam sells?
Steam sells their own modified version of the game. Unlike the GOG version, the Steam version cannot be played offline. It requires a connection to Steam. Also, the Steam version has a habit of reverting any customisations you make to the game. That's not a problem if you never want to use any custom assets, but people generally do.

The other point is that if you ever want to play 1.06, I don't think that can be made to work with the Steam version of the game.
Gumboots
CEO

Silverback wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 pmI suspect from memory you should install from CD, install patch 1.03 and then turn of hardware T&L before upgrading to 1.04 etc. (settings -> graphics and check disable hardware T&L) If I recall there may be a configuration file on here you can use and avoid reinstalling.

If you search old threads on here you will find many suggestions and solutions for getting coast to coast working on windows 7 and later - This one for example although the link for the file may not work - viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2131
That old "Vista fix" is not recommended anymore. It will get the game running, but at a cost to graphics (kills water reflections, loses information from cargo maps, etc). A much better option is to run the game with dgVoodoo, which is free and allows running with Hardware T&L enabled.
CNR_3125
Cat

Silverback wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 pm If you look on the Steam site their version of the game won't work with windows 10 or anything later than Vista! - Steam don't seem capable of getting old games to work on modern operating systems so you mey well waste your money. the notice says "Notice: This game is not compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7"

GOG do patch their games properly. They often do sales too and do have Railroads and RTII.

I suspect from memory you should install from CD, install patch 1.03 and then turn of hardware T&L before upgrading to 1.04 etc. (settings -> graphics and check disable hardware T&L) If I recall there may be a configuration file on here you can use and avoid reinstalling.

There are reviews and guides on Steam to get working on Win 10. I will try 1.03 first. If not successful, I will try recovering my GoG account, I do have RRT3 C2C on an old account there.

Edit. I got back into old gog account. The version installed was 1.05, installed 1.06 fine.
Gumboots
CEO

Sounds like you have it sorted then.