Ireland

Discuss about strategies used for the default RT3 scenarios.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Ireland Unread post

I usually remember to delete the files in the topics once a map is added to the archives. I guess I missed that one.
I'll just turn my head the other way for a few days. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Loco65
Cat

Thanks RoR, I have downloaded the betafile. My IP is blocked unfortunately so I cannot download other maps from archive. I have tried to download maps before I noticed that I should have made another account to do so. "Read the instructions first, act later" as they say. !hairpull!

I still want to finish several scenarios first before I try the big stuff. So far I have managed to get gold on all scenarios on hard lvl. That was 'till I reached Pacific NW. That's a badass scenario.

I hope to make scenario's myself next year after I have studied some other maps.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

For whatever reason, I had never played this map until this week. Then it had me a bit confused saying "wool" and "grain" in the intro, then counting "clothing" and "alcohol" in the ledger. I shrugged past that, there are worse bugs in other maps. Then I saw the ledger report changing numbers up and down, one year I'd see 40 loads hauled, then another year would be back to zero. I finally did the "bad thing" and hit Shift+E. Sure enough, the ledger status event is testing against all players and all companies. Changing the settings to "on screen only" solved the problem, I saved it as a different name and copied the TGA data from the original. Now my little world is right again. *!*!*!
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

I'd noticed the bugs in this one but never bothered fixing it (largely because I didn't find it that interesting).
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Those 12 or so extra coast to coast maps seem to be user created. There are a ton holes in them like mexico.
Gumboots
CEO

What's wrong with Mexico? I found that one worked well.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:What's wrong with Mexico? I found that one worked well.
Other than a few notable problems, the industry was lacking, and not well laid out.

The original maps likely were extensively tested. The CtC maps were not & had some issues. Like pacific NW had an aluminum mill in every town. But no bauxite mines to feed any of them. Lets take for example crossing the serrias mtns in "central pacific" I remember one obvious route to lay track over the mtns and a few other ones. In "pacific coastal" that required a tunnel or take about 5 switchbacks if you wanted to lay rails over the mountains and thru the woods to the iron mine we go!
Gumboots
CEO

I never found industry to be a problem with the Mexico map. You have to build it up yourself, but I thought that was part of the challenge. Offhand I can't recall any other bugs with it either.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just Crazy Jim wrote:For whatever reason, I had never played this map until this week. Then it had me a bit confused saying "wool" and "grain" in the intro, then counting "clothing" and "alcohol" in the ledger. I shrugged past that, there are worse bugs in other maps. Then I saw the ledger report changing numbers up and down, one year I'd see 40 loads hauled, then another year would be back to zero. I finally did the "bad thing" and hit Shift+E. Sure enough, the ledger status event is testing against all players and all companies. Changing the settings to "on screen only" solved the problem, I saved it as a different name and copied the TGA data from the original. Now my little world is right again. *!*!*!
Are you playing the Ireland map that came with the C to C? If so, maybe some of the issues you've found were fixed in the updated Ireland map by Steve (Mobius) Lorenz in the archives.
Hawk
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:Are you playing the Ireland map that came with the C to C? If so, maybe some of the issues you've found were fixed in the updated Ireland map by Steve (Mobius) Lorenz in the archives.
Indeed, sir, it was the Ireland map that came with C-to-C. Gorgeous map, but that one detail was driving me bonkers. As with so many of the PopTop maps, there are coding oddities in the events. With the Go West! campaign map, it's the California Statehood and weapons/munitions pricing events; with the Pacific NW map, it's all the aluminum mills with nary a drop of bauxite on the whole map; with the Ireland map, it's the ledger status being improperly defined to poll the whole game, so you never know what company's stats you're seeing.

I saw your earlier posts about it when I read this thread, I downloaded Steve (Mobius) Lorenz's Ireland map a few days ago and I think it's a better product than PopTop's. You offer quality merchandise, sir. :D
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just Crazy Jim wrote:You offer quality merchandise, sir. :D
It's the creators that offer the quality merchandise. They just send it to me to make available. ;-)
Hawk
kamyFC
Cat

I played this scenario in September 2021 after 11 years since i last played RRT3.
I realized that - hauling mixed cargo is the way to go, compared to hauling only passengers or hauling only a specific cargo type as i did in RRT2. That is because the economic system is more dynamic in RRT3 and goods do move "on their own"
I hardly focused on hauling clothing. I was just enjoying the game, hauling mixed cargo and my trains were always profitable.
Ultimately i was happy with Bronze. But i think with more focus, Gold is possible.
Gumboots
CEO

Yes, mixed traffic is generally the way to go with RT3. The exceptions are when you have specific scenario goals, or when you particularly want to supply certain industries (for whatever reason).
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Well, the most challenging thing about this scenario was working out how to correct its faults! Like everyone else, I soon realised it was wrong - but not till after I'd started hauling grain with a vengeance!
I changed the briefing, the status page and, as an afterthought, the timing of the Gold event. Rather than waiting till the bitter end, you could then see how quickly you could finish. I've attached my revised scenario "Ireland - the Race to Rebuild". (Nothing else has been changed.)
I met the Gold conditions by 1882 without really trying at all. Next try was 1877 with a bit more effort. Not much of a challenge even with a time factor. !*th_dwn*! on this one.
Ireland - the Race to Rebuild.zip
based on original Coast to Coast scenario "Ireland"
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 238 times
Gumboots
CEO

I suppose we could mess around with it a bit and see if we can make something interesting out of it.