{NEW BETA} fix/update South Central British Columbia 1898

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: {NEW BETA} fix/update South Central British Columbia 1898 Unread post

You don't need to finish a run just for this. A little info on that run would be helpful though: How much Coal did you manage to haul in this game, are you getting close to meeting the haulage at most of the smelters? Were there any other industrial companies you were targeting for a merge in the remaining part of the game? Did you take over the Fruit or Cattle companies yet, or are they targets in the last years? Also, what was your last full year of profit?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

122 coal
Nowhere near the smelters, about half-way with Trail. Only connected to three of them.
Next industry companies would have been Le Roi and Center Star. I think I'd abandoned hope of the Fruit and Cattle companies!
Last year of profit,1914, was $854K net - industry profit that year was $2469K.
Also:
I took over the lumber company in 1905 which was where a lot of the profit came from, plus I had three steel mills, two profitable. This was a game where I was trying to do the 30-points only and in 1915 I had 11. I had 43 stations and 27 trains and had taken over all but three of the railways.
JSS
Brakeman

After all those years you folks are still trying to get that map completed. Can only admire your efforts and am in awe of all that time you have put into this “adventure”. It feels to me like that I have planted only a seed (perhaps in a too rocky area) that you have slowly fostered into a bush that soon will be a tree. My thanks to all you folks that have been involved.
From time to time I still check in here to see what is happening here but since I do not play RRT3 anymore I have really lost touch with the game. Even though I have plenty of time now (I am retired now for a few years and have moved from Canada back to Austria) there is not much interest to get back into RRT3. However, I do like playing Railway Empire but no map making anymore.
Should you have still any questions or need to get a copy of the original Manual (that might answer some of the how’s and why’s, just send me a private message here at the board.
Have a great game.
JSS
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Thank you, we are having a great time! I'm also retired and in lockdown at the moment so plenty of time to spare... Now you're back in my time zone!
RulerofRails
CEO

I have a question on clarity. What do people think of the term "instant Gold medal at 30" points? Is that going to convery the idea that the other requirements are then no longer necessary?

For example:

Code: Select all

Total Industry Profits- Required: $10,000,000    Actual: [LTD Company Industry Profit]
Company Debt- Required:  None    Actual: [Company Debt]
Player Cash- Required:  Some    Actual: [Player Cash]
Your Tycoon reputation- Required: 25  (Instant Gold at 30) Actual: [Player Variable 3]

It's a little awkward. It might read better like this:

Total Industry Profits- [LTD Company Industry Profit]   Required: $10,000,000 
Company Debt- [Company Debt]   Required:  None
Player Cash- [Player Cash]    Required:  Some
Your Tycoon reputation- [Player Variable 3]  Required: 25  (Instant Gold at 30)
But I am really trying to keep the style of the map intact. I don't like to switch things like this without a second opinion. Is the first one ok?
Gumboots
CEO

You can always add a secondary briefing dialogue if you need more space to clarify things at the start, but really I think the first one is ok. Use either, as you please. :)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

How about turning it round like this:

Your Tycoon reputation- [Player Variable 3]  Required: 30 or 25 with these extra goals:
Total Industry Profits- [LTD Company Industry Profit]   Required: $10,000,000 
Company Debt- [Company Debt]   Required:  None
Player Cash- [Player Cash]    Required:  Some
I've tried it and it still fits on the same number of lines. The explanations that you've given along the way should be quite sufficient I think for someone to understand what's needed.

Can we think of a way to describe the alternatives other than "Instant Gold"? That sounds as though it's quick and easy but in fact I think it's the harder option. "Railroader" and "Tycoon" might be a nice play on words? "Big Track" and "Big Business" ? "Engineer" and "Entrepreneur" ?