Central America - BETA Version

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Re: Central America - BETA Version Unread post

Wolverine@MSU wrote:What's the year-range for the Canyonlands map? Any real-life historical events surrounding that time period? Adding choice-events that take the game along divergent paths can make for replay value.
The game is historically based - Union Pacific ran rails, lodges and tours throughout the canyon lands in the early 1900s but the automobile changed that. The game runs from 1930 to 1960. I'll post the BETA version without saying much more in this thread.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I'm looking forward to it.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

This is one of the maps that i play many years after it is finished! I love how smooth the terrain is! Got gold on my first try, but I did not take no stock issuing challenge.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I've only played this map briefly, on medium difficulty for my first try. The map itself is really well put together, though I will ask why there are no trees on the entire map? The map looks odd without them, especially considering I imagine Central America to be full of rainforests in reality. :-?
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, so open it up in the editor and add trees. (0!!0)
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 pm Ok, so open it up in the editor and add trees. (0!!0)
It would still be nice if the default map came with trees, since I don't know where to add them, or even how, or how many, or what type. :-(

I read earlier in this thread about the bribe to the Nicaraguan president, I took it, and it seemed to work (I got a newspaper saying I had regained access and the deal was made on a yacht), but what happens if I don't give the bribe, or the bribe fails? Do I lose access to Nicaragua altogether or is there another chance or is it just delayed?

And also, the Consolidation wasn't available for me in this map, is this intentional? I also haven't finished the map yet but I'm looking like I'll get gold, on medium. I'm also trying to connect every city on the map, including the 2 cities in Jamaica (though I won't be building a suspension bridge to Jamaica)! ^**lylgh
RulerofRails
CEO

I think the reason for no trees is because this map uses a satellite image as it's painting. Trees will block the view of the image.

If you want to add your own trees anyway, load the map in the editor and click on the "Tree" icon second down in the top left corner.

No bribe means, Nicaragua access is simply delayed.

I don't know why you don't have the Consolidation available. :-? I have it in my game.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

RulerofRails wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:59 am I think the reason for no trees is because this map uses a satellite image as it's painting. Trees will block the view of the image.

If you want to add your own trees anyway, load the map in the editor and click on the "Tree" icon second down in the top left corner.

No bribe means, Nicaragua access is simply delayed.

I don't know why you don't have the Consolidation available. :-? I have it in my game.
I've got mostly European trains, like the P8, Duke, S3, Fairlie and Stirling. But I also got the Eight Wheeler. Maybe I did get the consolidation but I don't remember using it. Also no electric trains, I'm guessing this was deliberate though.
Gumboots
CEO

I have noticed that sat images often don't go well with the trees that RT3 has available. Densely-forested areas have low reflectivity on sat images, making them appear very dark. RT3 trees are comparatively light, so look odd on the darker background. This may have been the reason for not including trees here.

Of course, you could simply make darker trees if you wanted to. There are only a few images involved, and darkening them in an image editor wouldn't be difficult.
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

Going to throw in my two cents with the, now standard, this was lots of fun but so easy that I got Gold on the first try.