California uber alles! [Final version]

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: California uber alles! [BETA] Unread post

Still testing this from a variety of angles, and it continues to amaze me what this scenario is capable of. I have been tweaking the various bonuses and starting options for overall balance and funski. !*th_up*!

First, the bad news. I'll be making the Gold requirements more difficult. Not unachievable, since in testing I regularly exceed them when taking any seeding the game throws at me, but if you get that medal you will have earned it. Since I'm thoroughly familiar with the dynamics of this scenario, I'm basically setting Gold requirements at around 75% of what I usually get with steam on Expert level. So, don't complain that it's too hard. :-D Anyway, Silver and Bronze will be a lot easier.

Second, the good news. I've found that with more cunning and a bit of luck, it's possible to pull more revenue out of the designated bonus territories than I thought possible. As a result of this, higher level bonuses have been added for all four territories.

Oh, there's more bad news. :mrgreen: Bonuses have been cut from 12% down to 8%, and they are no longer paid for $100k and $200k of revenue (they now start at 400). But there's good news too. ::!**! Now you don't have to wait until revenue in matches revenue out. The bonuses for inbound and outbound revenue are paid separately, which gives a better spread during gameplay.

Gold and Silver medal requirements still depend on inbound and outbound revenue being equal. The separation only applies to the personal cash bonuses.

I'm not adding yet another zip at this stage. I'll just do the final version once I have tested it a bit more, and have time to transfer all the stuff to a fresh copy of the map (gfx degradation y'know). Expect the final version around the end of the week/weekend. (0!!0)
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:...I think it was OilCan that did that a lot and I missed a lot of important messages.
I can't even remember how to pull up past messages so one could check them periodically
Hawk...that was 3 years ago, with the Yellowstone game. Yet, I can still recall how you moaned about missing the game messages back then. :-D You have got to let this go.

Ever since the Yellowstone game, every time I create a game message I think about your comments. I ask myself "Is this message important enough to merit a game dialog box rather than a game message? Would Hawk moan about missing it?" I call it the 'Hawk Test'. ^**lylgh

And...press the 'm' key. That will scroll back through previous screen messages.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:Would Hawk moan about missing it?" I call it the 'Hawk Test'. ^**lylgh
I don't moan. I grumble. :mrgreen:
OilCan wrote:And...press the 'm' key. That will scroll back through previous screen messages.
That's what I was looking for. :salute:
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I just started this one this morning and I really like it. A couple of comments:

It would be nice to present the Dialog about starting territories/bonuses right up front (Start of Scenario) so the player has a chance to look around the Cargo Overlay before starting a company and choosing a starting territory.

In the Status page it's nice to have something next to the data (CBV, PNW, Revenue In/Out) that indicates the goal, at least for Gold.

I'm doing quite well after 11-12 years, all connected and moving cargo in/out of Big Sky and ?Tokyo. Should have gold by the deadline. Map is very nice and quite buildable.

Looking forward to the final version.
Gumboots
CEO

I thought you could look around the cargo overlay anyway. I may have missed something. Will take another look at it.

I left the goals out of the status page because I didn't want it becoming too cluttered with crud. The way it is now, it all fits nicely on one page and has good readability at a glance. It tells me if I have met the goals, and if I need reminding the briefing is available on the usual link anyway. So, for my own use I'd keep it coded as it is now, but can change that for a public release if most people would prefer the alternative.

I do like good layout for pages. Having things split up in the wrong places, or awkwardly crowded, bugs me. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:I thought you could look around the cargo overlay anyway. I may have missed something. Will take another look at it.
For someone not familiar with the scenario, you don't know what to look for until you get the message about choosing a start point. Then you don't have time to look around and make a knowledgeable choice.

Remember, there's thousands of folks that download maps that don't even read the forums.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah but if they make an awkward choice, it's just a bit more of a challenge, right? :mrgreen: I actually did this yesterday while doing a bit more testing. Picked a Big Air start without looking around, and ended up in the crap. I'd saved at the very start, so I re-thought the approach and replayed the same start with different tactics. Got Gold. !*th_up*!

The zip can include a readme. This is really not a map for beginners anyway, although I've never tested it on the easier levels. I am assuming that anyone who wants to have a serious attempt at this map will be a proficient player.

ETA: My usual approach is to decide where I feel like starting, without basing that on the spread of resources. If I feel like starting in Big Air, I'll just do it. Ditto for the other options. It's up to me to figure out how to win from there.
Gumboots
CEO

Ray has been kicking me via PM to see when I'm going to finish this one up. :mrgreen:

I've been really busy lately, but may have some more time later this month. Will post it when I can get it done. :salute:
RayofSunshine
CEO

Don't take it as a critic Gumbots, as I prod other user creators who have not given a final posting. However, realizing that I am retired and others still have to make a living, I try to be patient to let the creator find spare time from their more important life. !*th_up*! :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

TBH I have a fair amout of spare time, but have been full-on into other projects, and haven't done any RRT3 stuff for a while. When I burn out on the other projects, I'll probably do several maps for a bit of a change, but at the moment I'm in the middle of something that I want to push along. !*th_up*!
OilCan
Engineer

Gumboots wrote:Ray has been kicking me via PM to see when I'm going to finish this one up. :mrgreen:
He has sent me PMs as well about some games which I was working on. I'm glad he did. It helped me return to finishing them.

Keep it up Ray of Sunshine! !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

I'll see if I can get this one sorted at the weekend.
Gumboots
CEO

Y'know I just gave this another play through (first time in ages) and really it's good enough to be called final. The only thing was I was thinking of transferring all the coding to a fresh copy of the map, but really this one is only dodgey around the sea shores, and you hardly notice when playing it. So yup, call it done. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

So the map on page 1 called California_uber_alles_RC2.zip is now the final version?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hmm. Actually I can't remember exactly what's in that one. I'll zip a new one up and ditch the old one. The one that's on my box now is ok.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: California uber alles! [Final version] Unread post

Ok, made a new one. It's attached to the OP of this thread.

It has the same coding, but I touched up the graphics a bit. !*th_up*!

I also put a readme in the zip to give people a heads up about various bonuses and connections. Content is quoted below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STARTING POSITIONS
------------------
You have the option of starting in three different locations, each of which gives different benefits.

Starting at Santa Rosa:
Purchase price for engines, maintenance costs for engines, and load/unload times are all reduced by 20%.
Also, engine fuel cost is reduced 1 level, and engine acceleration is plus 1 level.

Your initial connection from Winnefred to Santa Rosa will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting Santa Rosa to Rodriquez will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting Santa Rosa to Santa Ignacio will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting Santa Rosa to Crestview will earn your company $2 million.
---------------------------

Starting at City of Angels:
Bridge building cost and company overheads are both reduced by 20%.

Your initial connection from City of Angels to Rodriquez will earn your company $2 million.
Connecting City of Angels to Oxsanamo will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting City of Angels to Santa Ignacio will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting City of Angels to Crestview will earn your company $2 million.

Starting at Big Air:
Track building costs and track maintenance costs are both reduced by 20%.

Your initial connection from Big Air to Little Air will earn your company $2 million.
Connecting Big Air to Macho Grande will earn your company $2 million.
Connecting Big Air to Nellisville will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting Big Air to Rodriquez will earn your company $1 million.
Connecting Big Air to Santa Rosa will earn your company $1 million.

PERSONAL CASH BONUSES FOR REVENUE SHIPPED
-----------------------------------------
You will be paid a personal cash bonus for certain amounts of revenue in and out of some territories.
The amount of the bonus is 6.25% of the revenue figure (ie: you get a $100k bonus for $1600k revenue shipped).

The four territories are:

Big Air County (which includes the towns of Big Air and Little Air)
East Tokyo (which covers only that town)
Pocco Lobo (which covers only that town)
Tetille (which covers only that town)

Bonuses are paid when revenue out, or revenue in, hits $400k, $800k, $1,600k and $3,200k for all four territories.

Bonuses are paid for $6,400k out of Tetille and Poco Lobo (they never get that much in, and rarely get that much out).
Bonuses are also paid for $6,400k and $12,800k in or out of Big Air County and East Tokyo.

Getting the big bonuses for shipping $12,800k in or out of Big Air County and East Tokyo is possible, but doesn't happen all the time. It's nice when you get it though.

PERSONAL CASH BONUSES FOR CITY CONNECTIONS
------------------------------------------
For connecting any 5 cities you will be paid $100k.
For connecting any 8 cities you will be paid $200k.
For connecting any 14 cities you will be paid $300k.
For connecting all 22 cities you will be paid $400k.

There are a few other tricks and things hiding in this game, but you'll find those.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Man! I do apologize. I forgot about adding this map. :oops:

It's now available.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... auberalles
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

No worries. (0!!0)
RulerofRails
CEO

Just played this. Great fun. This is one of my favorite original maps. The map has character and the extreme terrain make price differentials that will water your eyes. I tried diesel and then steam. Steam was 2 years faster than diesel. Maybe that is also due to knowing what to expect as the industry seeding was 90% the same. I was playing with the Class 232 then Big Red. I like the extra challenges in this map. Good work. Thanks!
Gumboots
CEO

Glad you liked it. I thought it ended up being a pretty good one. :-D